Steering Wheel

Afternoon folks,

Looking for some advice regarding changing my steering wheel is there anything I need to do before doing so? I'm looking to switching to a A4 B6 wheel I've attached a picture of what wheel I have and the A4 one.. any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks for reading.
c45072b4d7496b2883edc502b8f93511.jpg
ab6a5975198b9165e49e88cf79a0f346.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Unplug the battery 15 mins before you start due to the air bag.. remove 2 screws that hold the original airbag in place unplug. Remove big bolt holding on steering wheel.. and reverse to fit..

One bit of advise put the keys in position 2 then reconnect the battery if anything were to happen with the airbag your heads in the boot not in front of it when it deploys.. I’ve done this several times without issue though ??..

When I changed my steering wheel from an SE to a sports I think a small amount of wiring/soldering work was needed. Perhaps our electrickery friends may be able to elaborate.

When I changed my steering wheel from an SE to a sports I think a small amount of wiring/soldering work was needed. Perhaps our electrickery friends may be able to elaborate.

Changed mine a few weeks back and it was direct fit no soldering or wiring was direct plug and play ??..

I do believe that swapping from an SE to even an A2 sport three spoke wheel requires something (a change in relay at least I think?
But if Boxy has just done this without all of that then he knows from experience.

Steve B

That is great news then, I must have been fed some incorrect information (or perhaps the three spoke wheel had the controller missing. in the case I heard of?)

Steve B

That is great news then, I must have been fed some incorrect information (or perhaps the three spoke wheel had the controller missing. in the case I heard of?)

Steve B

Hi Steve,

I think you are getting confused with the multi function steering wheel. In the case of this thread it is swapping a standard 4 spoke (without buttons) with a 3 spoke. These steering wheels don't have any electronics in them, just a direct connection to the airbag igniter and two wires for the horn switch. I have a vague recollection of the 3 spoke steering wheel having a different wiring harness, possibly due to length, but I am not sure. The parts are not available any more so I can't look it up.

You might be thinking about timmus' 3 spoke sports steering wheel with tiptronic gear change buttons to multi function control conversion. With a standard (4 spoke) multi function wheel, there is a LIN bus slave electronics unit inside the steering wheel to interface the buttons and lights through the 1 wire bus connection and slip ring to the steering wheel controler behind the dash. The tiptronic 3 spoke sports steering wheel's buttons would normally be connected directly to the slip ring with no electronics in the wheel. As the centre boss is smaller in the 3 spoke wheel than the 4 spoke, the electronics from a multi function wheel won't physically fit. Tom's conversion mounted the electronics that would normally be inside the steering wheel, behind the dash and used the slip ring from an tiptronic automatic car to connect the steering wheel buttons to this. This slip ring has extra connections and so allows each switch to be wired directly.

regards

Andrew

I can understand you thinking that (because I do get confused from time to time!:)

but no, it was a standard wheel without buttons or paddles, replacing an SE wheel with no buttons.
It was the one from my project that I removed after I had the square bottom one put on the project.

I sold it to a known member and when I saw him again he said that it wasn't just a bolt on.
Thanks
Steve B

I remember now... had to buy a different small loom for about £20 from Audi. Looks like it wasn,t required.

Thanks for your vote of confidence Ian!!

Going from SE to sport or vice versa is easy on the A2. Where the complication may arise with the OP is that the new wheel, even though it may have all the wiring loom with it, the slip ring connector may be different, so you may find that there's some wiring needed. As long as it's a single stage airbag (which it will be at that vintage) then it's do-able.

Hi folks,

Sorry for the late response unfortunately by the time I finished work the wheel was sold so waiting for another one to pop up in the same kind of condition.. but great to know it should be straight forward if it comes to it

Thanks again everyone.

Hi folks,

Sorry for the late response unfortunately by the time I finished work the wheel was sold so waiting for another one to pop up in the same kind of condition.. but great to know it should be straight forward if it comes to it

Thanks again everyone.

I don't know if @sciroccorrado still has an A2 sports steering wheel left - he had two, I bought one...

When I did a steering wheel change on a T5, there was a dot on the wheel to match one on the steering column. This made sure the wheel was on and straight when driving straight, IYSWIM.. Does the A2 have the same marks?

Back