Sticky rear brakes

I'm not sure about the correct place for this post so please feel free to move it...
I have a peculiar problem with the rear brakes of my TDI 75. Basically, if left for a couple of days when I return the brakes have seized on.
'Don't put the handbrake on' I hear you say and here's the rub... I don't.
When I arrive home I leave the car in gear and chock the rear wheels. The handbrake is left off but I still suffer seized drums when I get in a couple of days later.
After a quick drive to the bottom of my road the rears are free and the car works perfectly.
I wonder if the springs could be tired and somehow they are letting the shoes press against the drums after being stood?
Otherwise, I must confess I'm stumped...

My guess is the brake fluid is well past its change by date ( perhaps several times past ) and the water in the fluid is causing the slave cylinders to corrode and stick or the dust caps on the cylinders contain water again causing the cylinders to stick.

hi probably handbrake cables binding please bear in mind that as you drive and use brakes this system is purely hydraulic with brake fluid and wheel cylinders whereas the handbrake is completely mechanical with cables and levers. There is an arm rivetted to the back of the shoe and connected directly to the handbrake cable that coud be affected by corrosion or brake dust

If the shoes are clear then they can't seize, but if they are dragging they dragging all of the time. Go out for a drive it like you stole it joy ride (avoid the cameras). Are the drums hot?

My guess is the brake fluid is well past its change by date ( perhaps several times past ) and the water in the fluid is causing the slave cylinders to corrode and stick or the dust caps on the cylinders contain water again causing the cylinders to stick.
It's probably time to change the fluid but it's only a couple of years old. The system was bled when the front discs/pads were changed out.

Yep I did 30 miles and the drums were fine (not as hot as the front discs)
So they are not binding. This one has got me.
If you park on the flat, pull up and with the parking brake off and the car out of gear push it and see if it moves freely, chock it and put it in gear. Before you drive next time take the chocks out, out of gear and see if it moves the same way. Only do this if it is totally safe.

It's probably time to change the fluid but it's only a couple of years old. The system was bled when the front discs/pads were changed out.
I wouldn’t do that just yet. You may have cylinders, pipes etc to change. If it is only two years old and was done properly it is due but not critical. Saves doing the job twice.

Back