Strut pinch bolt sheared off at steering knuckle

hydo14

A2OC Donor
United-Kingdom
Every simple car job is one sheared bolt away from a world of pain and suffering...

So to remove the strut from the car you need to undo the pinch bolt, the nut came off the other side no problem however I found that the bolt was totally stuck, no problem I thought, I'll give it a bit of a turn to see if it loosens off. The bolt did not turn and now it has no head ?

So has anyone got any ideas on how to get it out? It seems pretty stuck in there and I cannot spread the strut mount.

IMG_20210227_181613.jpg

Last edited:
You have option
Drill it out
Drift it out
Heat up the area with oxy accetalin and drift it out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe shock the surrounding area at the back and try and turn the remaining nut/head which ever hasnt sheared?

No doubt heat really is the best help but patience and penatrating fluid may just work

I had the same problem whilst doing my wife's Passat. Clean well with wire brush, soak it in penetrating oil and leave over night. Then drift out using something slightly smaller diameter than the bolt. You will find it is caked in a white powdery substance which is caused by a reaction between the alloy and steel. Clean up well inside the hole using a wire brush before using a new stretch bolt. These should be replaced as a matter of course when doing this job, along with new hub bolts.
Be careful using heat as you are very close to the brake pipes!

I think the struts have been out before on this car before and the bolts were either not replaced or were overtightened.

In this climate ALWAYS use the blue spanner .... there is an old saying " it cant be tight .......... if its liquid " ???

Option 5. Seeing as you are replacing the damper anyway, I would run a cutting disc up the back to cut the bolt. And then knock the hub off the strut. Then deal with the sheared bolt when the hub is in a vice.

I think the struts have been out before on this car before and the bolts were either not replaced or were overtightened.

Your picture is good and I stand behind Paul @depronman advice to drill it out....
Make a good centre mark
Start with a 1/8" or 3.5mm quality drill, 400 rpm, Rocol as lube/coolant/cutting improver.
Then a 1/4" or 6.5mm drill.

If last owner had used waterresistant grease as lube, you would not have been in this situation.
Please fill all possible cavities including threads with wr grease, to ensure that the chlorides only get limited amount of oxygen to let the corrosion
play with...

Do I see copper grease where the break is? If so then it’s definitely been over tightened, as even with a torque wrench the copper slip, in effect, will over tighten the bolt.

Ian

Why don’t you just soak it with WD40, put the nut back on with a couple of washers and tighten, it may just loosen the bolt and pull it through. You could help it with a hammer and punch.

If you have an SDS drill you could try drifiting it out with the drill set on hammer action only. Cut an old sds drill down to use as the drift. Drill the end of the broken bolt a few mm deep so the recess acts a counterbore to locate the drift - it will wander otherwise

Cheers Spike

I had the same problem whilst doing my wife's Passat. Clean well with wire brush, soak it in penetrating oil and leave over night. Then drift out using something slightly smaller diameter than the bolt. You will find it is caked in a white powdery substance which is caused by a reaction between the alloy and steel. Clean up well inside the hole using a wire brush before using a new stretch bolt. These should be replaced as a matter of course when doing this job, along with new hub bolts.
Be careful using heat as you are very close to the brake pipes!

I don’t think this bit reacts like other parts as the knuckle is cast iron and the bolt steel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the suggestions folks!

Why don’t you just soak it with WD40, put the nut back on with a couple of washers and tighten, it may just loosen the bolt and pull it through. You could help it with a hammer and punch.
This method worked. I had been periodically feeding it penetrating fluid all of yesterday evening and then this morning I greased up the threads put on a washer and then tightened the nut with a impact wrench and this pulled the remnants straight through. Pleased drilling, heating or beating wasn't required.

In your first photo, it looks like there is a massive crack running up the housing, left of the broken bolt...

In your first photo, it looks like there is a massive crack running up the housing, left of the broken bolt...
I know what you mean, it was actually just dirt buildup at that point. I cleaned up the whole area after doing this job with a wire brush and cleaner before painting. Just I didn't take any pretty pictures of after ?‍♂️

Back