Supposed to be the perfect winter tyre for the Southern UK - The Bridgestone Blizzak LM005

dj_efk

A2OC Donor
United-Kingdom
Check this out:

Tyre Reviews website listing - Click on the "view all tests" button and behold the string of outright wins of tyre comparison tests.

I see that amongst the 125 sizes it's available in, many common A2 sizes are there - has anyone tried them?

Whilst I don't regret my purchase of the Goodyear UltraGrip 9+ as they are a very capable tyre in themselves and in any case - there were no available reviews of either tyre at the time, it's clear that the Bridgestones would have been more suited to my needs with the benefit of hindsight.

...many common A2 sizes are there...
It doesn't look like the Bridgestone Blizzak LM005 winter tyre is available in the following sizes:

175/60R15
185/50R16
205/40R17

The available sizes for the Bridgestone Blizzak LM005 winter tyre are shown here:

Continental's new TS870 is expected to be released in 2021. It will be interesting to see which one does better in the 2021 winter tyre reviews.

Must say I very much agree with @dj_efk 185x60 R15 is for me the ultimate dimension for winter tires if one shall be prepared for 6 inches of wet snow.... I would not recommend wider dimensions for wet snow because you get "lift off" and loose steering capability.
Especially for 1.4TDI's with 90kg heavier nose I clearly prefer to be careful. Most of winter tyres today are too focused on winning tests, where noise level during motorway driving is essential, while wet snow tires will have to have an open pattern and therefore score low in a test because they are noisy on the motorway and wear out faster... sorry

I live by the coast where we often get wet snow and travel up in the mountains, where it is cold, for skiing, fishing, hunting or to get to the west coast.
We have had snowfalls last two months and it will last until early may. So it's like living on a test track....

For dry snow and ice in cold conditions, no problem to use wider dimensions, if it is very cold they can even be better

Is it well known in UK that most of winter tyres is designed to have 0.2 Bar increased air pressure compared to summer tyres of same dimension?

Enjoy the winter, friends ?
dieselfan

Must say I very much agree with @dj_efk 185x60 R15 is for me the ultimate dimension for winter tires if one shall be prepared for 6 inches of wet snow.... I would not recommend wider dimensions for wet snow because you get "lift off" and loose steering capability.
Especially for 1.4TDI's with 90kg heavier nose I clearly prefer to be careful. Most of winter tyres today are too focused on winning tests, where noise level during motorway driving is essential, while wet snow tires will have to have an open pattern and therefore score low in a test because they are noisy on the motorway and wear out faster... sorry

I live by the coast where we often get wet snow and travel up in the mountains, where it is cold, for skiing, fishing, hunting or to get to the west coast.
We have had snowfalls last two months and it will last until early may. So it's like living on a test track....

For dry snow and ice in cold conditions, no problem to use wider dimensions, if it is very cold they can even be better

Is it well known in UK that most of winter tyres is designed to have 0.2 Bar increased air pressure compared to summer tyres of same dimension?

Enjoy the winter, friends ?
dieselfan

I'm aware that firstly air becomes more dense at it cools, hence tyres should be checked / topped up if it gets significantly colder out; secondly XL / extra load / reinforced tyres are supposed to be run at slightly lower pressures than normal load ones - But I (like many of my countrymen, I assume), are not aware of this 0.2 bar (3 psi in our language) increase being needed for winter tyres, no.

Can you explain / got a source we could look at? All I can find on the subject is this - Click! - which while interesting / obvious, doesn't mention the above.

I'm aware that firstly air becomes more dense at it cools, hence tyres should be checked / topped up if it gets significantly colder out; secondly XL / extra load / reinforced tyres are supposed to be run at slightly lower pressures than normal load ones - But I (like many of my countrymen, I assume), are not aware of this 0.2 bar (3 psi in our language) increase being needed for winter tyres, no.

Can you explain / got a source we could look at? All I can find on the subject is this - Click! - which while interesting / obvious, doesn't mention the above.

@dj_efk

Sorry for the late replay but I have been downtown to look for "evidence" at the air filling stations... all three of the local petrol stations have taken them down.... and replaced with an instruction to look in the cars instruction manual... I beg you to believe me in that I have seen the text "for winter tires please add 0.2bar / 3.5psi to the recommended summer tire pressure"

There is a lot on net related to this in Norwegian that support what I have said.

In English language it was a bit more difficult to find but take a look at this if you can accept Nokian Tires as a reliable source. Look at what I have highlighted in blue.

Winter tyre pressure.JPG

I can also mention that the leading motor press in Norway, STRO and several of the large tire suppliers advice, to in general, increase the car manufacture recommendations values with 10% for summer tires and 20% for winter tires.... so I am glad I did not mentioned what they say...

Why:
Real winter tires are made of soft or very soft rubber.
10% lower tire pressure can be more dangerous than 10% higher.
Manufactures table is based on driver in the car. No roof load, no trailer, no heavy luggage, not full tank ++
In addition do we have large temperature variations.
One example: I leave my home and it is +10 Celsius, I park outside the mountain cabin 3 hour later in minus 30 deg Celsius

I hope the reference is ok for you and answer your request.

Cheers
dieselfan

165 65 15 is I believe the correct Winter Tyre Size for the A2 preferably on Steel Winter Wheels. That’s what I have ready to go back on the A2 if we get Snow in Cumbria. Genuine Audi A2 Steel Winter Wheels with 165 65 15 Vredestein Snowtrac Tyres. The real Winter Tyres are the ones listed as “ Nordic Tyres “ but they are not designed for UK road conditions.

@dj_efk

Sorry for the late replay but I have been downtown to look for "evidence" at the air filling stations... all three of the local petrol stations have taken them down.... and replaced with an instruction to look in the cars instruction manual... I beg you to believe me in that I have seen the text "for winter tires please add 0.2bar / 3.5psi to the recommended summer tire pressure"

There is a lot on net related to this in Norwegian that support what I have said.

In English language it was a bit more difficult to find but take a look at this if you can accept Nokian Tires as a reliable source. Look at what I have highlighted in blue.

View attachment 72860

I can also mention that the leading motor press in Norway, STRO and several of the large tire suppliers advice, to in general, increase the car manufacture recommendations values with 10% for summer tires and 20% for winter tires.... so I am glad I did not mentioned what they say...

Why:
Real winter tires are made of soft or very soft rubber.
10% lower tire pressure can be more dangerous than 10% higher.
Manufactures table is based on driver in the car. No roof load, no trailer, no heavy luggage, not full tank ++
In addition do we have large temperature variations.
One example: I leave my home and it is +10 Celsius, I park outside the mountain cabin 3 hour later in minus 30 deg Celsius

I hope the reference is ok for you and answer your request.

Cheers
dieselfan

The logic makes sense. I always run my cars on the maximum / full load recommended pressures anyway

Back