Suspension Creaking noise came and went. Eh?

AudA2Numpty

A2OC Donor
Hi All,

My A2 had been exhibiting the typical cracking clunk noise when turning the steering included in this was a creaking noise when I went up and down speed bumps.
Long story short, from the excellent info on this site, I replaced the Top Strut and Mounts with Meyle parts and two drop links. In hindesight the original Top Struts were still fine but the bearings were detached and rusty and seized, so at least the bearings were a justified purchase and replacement.

Just after re-installing everything back (2 days later) I took it out for a test drive. The clunk, when turning, had gone but the creaking noise was still there.
I assumed it was the springs and shocks making the noise, but just to double check I lifted the car up again and checked the Anti Roll Bar and engine mounts, all looked clean, dry and fine.

I thought I needed to replace the shocks and springs, so I ordered Monroe ones last night.

I took the car out the morning to collect a few things and the creaking noise is practically gone, 90% gone.
Any ideas?
Should I cancel my order until the noise comes back?
Should I keep testing the car on the speed bumps to make sure I'm not going mad?

Any advice gratefully received.
Cheers.

Maybe the springs weren't in there seats properly after lifting the car? We had this on ours recently and the noise disappeared after a couple of miles and the springs had settled back in.

Maybe the springs weren't in there seats properly after lifting the car? We had this on ours recently and the noise disappeared after a couple of miles and the springs had settled back in.
Cheers. Did some more testing with my Dad in the car. It's a very light creak now. Still there but light.

When I dismantled the offside shock I did see the smallest of oil marks on the shock but nothing that told me the shock seals had gone.

I'll be heading off to France around the 18th March so I'm wondering if there is barely any noise I'll leave it until I return in July.

I was chasing a creaking noise over speed bumps for years. Struts out springs off reassemble, CREAK!

Finally traced it to the rubbers that the anti-roll bars are held in place by. A set of new rubbers and a bit of silicone grease, problem sorted.

I was chasing a creaking noise over speed bumps for years. Struts out springs off reassemble, CREAK!

Finally traced it to the rubbers that the anti-roll bars are held in place by. A set of new rubbers and a bit of silicone grease, problem sorted.
I was wondering that to.
After your suggestion I sprayed the ARB busheswith some silicon grease.

Hey presto noise gone.

Cheers for that.

Back