Tailgate replacement

nod

Next weekend I'll be removing the tailgate from my breaker fsi colour storm 2003 to go onto my 2002 tdi project. I have 2 options, remove all panelling on interior then disconnect all the wiring loom, then reconnect everything, or cut the loom before it leaves the roof panel and make the connections there. Any thoughts on what's the best method? Cheers

Just done that job depending on skill set but I opted for option one and removed trim and disconnected all you can’t go wrong as all plugs different but I did photo set up first then threaded harness through boot corners bit fiddly once removed and left with one piece of harness each side. Easy job I thought.

ok thanks for the advice. my skill set is definitely just diyer. i think i'll go for option 2 as i'm a bit worried that the wiring loom going into the tdi tailgate looks to be a fair bit thicker than on the FSI, i.e there maybe more parts in the TDI tailgate than in the in FSI. there are 4 radio signal boosters in there on the tdi, do all a2's have those? I don't suppose anyone has made a guide for doing this?? or just for taking off the tailgate interior panels without breaking things....cheers

You might want to confirm what the different wires looms are btwn the TDI and FSI tailgates before you clip any wires..
There are forum members with in-depth knowledge who should be able to give you some concrete advice. I expect you are onto something with the antenna boosters...
Alternatively strip both tailgates completely and use the existing TDI loom all the way to the end contacts... (and move any extra gear from the TDI tailgate and thereby using all the wires in the loom).

You might want to confirm what the different wires looms are btwn the TDI and FSI tailgates before you clip any wires..
There are forum members with in-depth knowledge who should be able to give you some concrete advice. I expect you are onto something with the antenna boosters...
Alternatively strip both tailgates completely and use the existing TDI loom all the way to the end contacts... (and move any extra gear from the TDI tailgate and thereby using all the wires in the loom).
Yes, ''Alternatively strip both tailgates completely and use the existing TDI loom all the way to the end contacts... (and move any extra gear from the TDI tailgate and thereby using all the wires in the loom).'' this is what i'm going to try to do - i've already made my first mistake, a week or so ago i took some of the stuff off the TDI tailgate (the boosters, solenoid etc) without taking photos of what was where.....
I'll see if there are any differences when i take the FSI tailgate apart, if not i can use that as a reference..cheers

To confirm there are different loom set ups as to spec the one I replaced had base set up but the replaced boot had x4 transmitters etc etc so I didn’t need these so left installed all in all not a bad job

Just to update in case anyone else does this. I ended up not removing any interior panels from the donor door going on to the project car I left all the internal wires in place. I lowered the roof liner at the rear, On the drivers side there is one thin wire in the roof lining that goes forward to the drivers area I had to cut that. There are earth's bolted to the roof inside, I unbolted those. I then removed rear pillar trim, unclipped the loom on the drivers side that runs down to the diversity unit. On the passenger side I unbolted the earth's at roof level and then cut the loom just above the light cluster. I fed these wires out with the rubber boots. Cheers

Back