Tailored car cover for outside use

ajsellors

A2OC Donor
Hi,

I'm thinking of having a tailored car cover made so that I can store my project A2 outside temporarily.

I am expecting that given the relatively low volumes of A2s produced, no company sells a bespoke tailored cover to fit the A2 shape exactly.

Is that the case? Does anyone know of a company that can produce an A2 shaped fully tailored cover?

If the answer is indeed no, does anyone have a recommendation?

I have inquired of a company in Herefordshire who would make me a cover based on dimensions and photographs. I would think that having the car directly measured by the manufacturer would provide an more accurate result so that would need to be somewhere to which I could get the car to easily.

Any thoughts?

Andrew

I think Barryleng may have some recommendations Andrew and Darren C may have bought one recently.

A tailored one might be a bit costly, I may have a proper "Carcoon" for sale in the coming weeks, which I keep my Scirocco in, but I'm thinking of upgrading.

A tailored one might be a bit costly, I may have a proper "Carcoon" for sale in the coming weeks, which I keep my Scirocco in, but I'm thinking of upgrading.

Hi,

thanks for the offer. I'm looking for something to keep the car most importantly dry inside as it is a not entirely water tight shell at the moment.
They look like a very good idea for storing a car but I'm not sure it would be "appropriate" to have something like that on the drive in front of my garage "on show". Its also rather windy where I live.

regards

Andrew

Hi,

thanks for the offer. I'm looking for something to keep the car most importantly dry inside as it is a not entirely water tight shell at the moment.
They look like a very good idea for storing a car but I'm not sure it would be "appropriate" to have something like that on the drive in front of my garage "on show". Its also rather windy where I live.

regards

Andrew

If you're trying to make sure it stays dry on the inside there's nothing better than a Carcoon, that's pretty much the whole point. Generic car covers let water in if breathable, or fail to let the water out if not. The Carcoon makes sure there is a constant flow of air over the vehicle, and gently dries it if there is water in when you zip it up.

The Carcoon I have is the "Outdoor" one, so it's not transparent if that is your concern. High winds I know all about at my place, as it's a natural wind tunnel between my house and next door.

My reason for selling is that I want to put Project JRV under one as well, so I'm looking at either a bigger Carcoon or a more flexible solution able to store 2 cars (something like the AirShelta.

If you're trying to make sure it stays dry on the inside there's nothing better than a Carcoon, that's pretty much the whole point. Generic car covers let water in if breathable, or fail to let the water out if not. The Carcoon makes sure there is a constant flow of air over the vehicle, and gently dries it if there is water in when you zip it up.

The Carcoon I have is the "Outdoor" one, so it's not transparent if that is your concern. High winds I know all about at my place, as it's a natural wind tunnel between my house and next door.

My reason for selling is that I want to put Project JRV under one as well, so I'm looking at either a bigger Carcoon or a more flexible solution able to store 2 cars (something like the AirShelta.

Hi,

I do think the Carcoon is brilliant and if I could put the car behind the garage (out of view in the garden) then I would be jumping at the chance. I think its a bit OTT for the front sadly.

The problem I have is that the OSS leaks. Its not because the drainage channels are blocked but I think something may have been damaged under the rear fixed pannel by a previous owner's attempt at unblocking. Although the water does run out the back, the inside also gets slightly wet too. A car cover isn't 100% waterproof as it does have to be breathable but I think that's probably enought to counteract the problem. I could also use a half cover just for the top half as well as the car does have all the doors and windows.

regards

Andrew

No problems, especially as it's only a temporary solution you're after. I've been using Carcoons for about 10 years now and they've saved the Rocco on more than one occasion from disaster (the hail storm we had a few years ago wrecked quite a few cars in the vicinity), but they just bounced off the cover.

Hi Andrew,

As Dave says, I've just purchased from here: https://www.classicadditions.com

I have ordered their outdoor general fit at circa £200, so not cheap. The tailored fit is over £400 - same material, breathable, but waterproof. I haven't fitted it yet, so can't comment on the fit of the general cover.

They do an array of different types suitable for indoor and outdoor use - worth a look budget dependent.

Cheers,

Darren

Hi Andrew,

As Dave says, I've just purchased from here: https://www.classicadditions.com

I have ordered their outdoor general fit at circa £200, so not cheap. The tailored fit is over £400 - same material, breathable, but waterproof. I haven't fitted it yet, so can't comment on the fit of the general cover.

They do an array of different types suitable for indoor and outdoor use - worth a look budget dependent.

Cheers,

Darren

Thanks. They do look good. More expensive than the company I have investigated but look more professional. I would be interested in the fit of the general cover you have.

regards

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

I’m really sorry for the delay. I’ve only just got the cover on today. A good fit overall, though it does leave the sills and bottom half of the wheels exposed. In my case heavy rain will cause dirt from the drive to splash up, but a minor gripe. Quality is very good and the three straps keep it from blowing off; though the front set only just stretches across unless you go through the wheels.

07960CE1-11D4-4393-9946-FB87109F2136.jpeg

DAF21F88-CD5A-4FA1-8AFA-9416B348FF52.jpeg

499A50AA-6B7B-4BC2-B99B-7CA574DEAEA0.jpeg

6F0BEF12-E654-492E-9B57-163CBA0B6FA5.jpeg

F58C7059-101F-47F3-9975-AFBA09DB3C2C.jpeg

Hi Andrew,

I’m really sorry for the delay. I’ve only just got the cover on today. A good fit overall, though it does leave the sills and bottom half of the wheels exposed. In my case heavy rain will cause dirt from the drive to splash up, but a minor gripe. Quality is very good and the three straps keep it from blowing off; though the front set only just stretches across unless you go through the wheels.

Hi Darren,

thanks for posting the pictures. It looks like it covers well. A bit loose around the front wheels perhaps?
Is that a draw string along the bottom or elasticated?

regards

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

There is a touch excess fabric at the front, but the elasticated strap which is running under the car behind the front wheels keeps it nice and tight. The front and rear material is elasticated too.

I should have taken a picture of the straps. There are three in total which attach via plastic buckle clip type efforts. One each at the front and rear and one in the centre. Each strap can then be adjusted to maximise the tension. The clips in the fabric are well protected in their own little pockets.

Illustration of the type of clip
EB709E1E-A2AA-47B5-B09E-9B620887891D.jpg

I'd also add that if the front strap went through the wheels it wouldn't tug on the fabric as it has done and would be neater.

Back