Tales of woe.

mpjbiker

Hi all, I'm in a dilemma over my old Tdi-I've had it for years, and while I've thoroughly enjoyed it, I can't honestly say it's been trouble free motoring. Frankly, it's cost me thousands! During my ownership, it's had steering rack, arb, numerous drop links, front wheel bearings, injection harness, discs, pads, wheel cylinders, shoes, boot seals, number plate lights, battery, aerial amplifier, the open sky has broken, plus tyres, servicing, and other stuff that I've forgotten. Now it's due a service and belt, and it's pissing oil, and knocking from the front. It's just been in for investigation-the sump gasket is leaking, there is another oil leak from behind the oil cooler and filler tube which they can't pinpoint without stripping out, the knocking is from the front gearbox mount, the front brake sensor pad is broken, and the rear exhaust box needs replacing. To have all this done would be another four figure bill. None of our resident experts are anywhere near me. A2 cars did lots of the work, but it's a crappy 180 mile round trip, and I don't have the time. What would you do? Sell it here to capable mechanic as project? Run til mot expires and sell for spares? Take advantage of scrappage scheme and replace it? I don't have a garage, and I'm too old to be grovelling about on my driveway with up on jacks and axel stands. Let the debate begin!

Reactions: AJB
I’m against the scrapping of these cars. What options does it have and where are you. Plenty of people seem to take on such projects.

I'm in the same situation with fixing things but luckily I have found a garage that around the corner but I do know how you feel about the long round trip as I too used to do it. My partner always says to me, "You love the car and you've spent so much it'll soon all be sorted and then there will be a few years where you don't have to fix anything and you'll be able to relax and enjoy it." Plus I don't think I would find anything to match how comfortable it is to drive. My opinion, stick with it, it's nearly a classic after-all.

Now if you run it till the MOT runs out I am looking for an engine and gearbox to rebuild and I have three A2s to keep on the road.....

I'd quite like to keep it-I've had it nearly nine years, but the numbers and economics have to stack up. It's MOT'd until December, so I have some breathing space. It is fun to drive!

In your situation I would sell it whole as a doer upper for someone who has the time to doerer a upperer :)
You sound like your A2 has been a bit of a trouble maker over the years which is a shame. Maybe sell it and re-invest in another one that has had been owned by an A2OCer (i.e. preened over and had lots of money spent on it) ;)

We were in a similar situation early last year. We'd owned our A2 for 9 years and I'd noted a fair few knocks and the exterior was starting to look a bit dull. So the wife and I sat down looked at the cash required for a similar car and deduced that we'd need to spend £7000-8000 for anything newer/half decent that was on par with our old A2 (economical, stylish and compact).
However we love our A2 and decided to re-invest back into the car and shave off a few of the 15 years it has clocked up.
So it received a massive service, gear shifter fixes, suspension fixes, new lower front wishbones, interior trim fixes, exterior detail and bonnet re-laquer, new door straps, new tyres, fresh wheels, a Votex bodykit (yet to be painted and fitted), Timmus Komforblinker and his amazing Colour DIS system.
All in all I reckon I've spent £3000 over the past 12 months and our now 15 year old A2 is rock solid and feeling great. I know its never going to add value back to the car but that isn't the point.
A2s are old. They are now in the realms of Classic motors so owning one is likely to involve getting old bits replaced. They can't be driven like a 3 year old Fiesta, they have to be invested in or bits fall off them or out of them.

I'm too old for the same mpjbiker but from your user name I suspect you too have some good mechanicing skills. You have to decide what is best for you. If scrappage is your best option then go for it. It would be sad to see an A2 crushed but; your car, your bank account, your decision.

I can second Keithb, I have seen some crackers for sale on here that I can’t justify buying as my car just keeps on going.

You would definitely find a home for your existing car too I’m sure. You may need to make it reasonably priced to ensure it goes to a good home rather than the scrappers, but the saving you make on the new one compared to all the ones I see advertised on auto trader from dealers will compensate for that.

Tony.

I'm in the same situation with fixing things but luckily I have found a garage that around the corner but I do know how you feel about the long round trip as I too used to do it. My partner always says to me, "You love the car and you've spent so much it'll soon all be sorted and then there will be a few years where you don't have to fix anything and you'll be able to relax and enjoy it." Plus I don't think I would find anything to match how comfortable it is to drive. My opinion, stick with it, it's nearly a classic after-all.

I like it; but not good if your A2 is your daily drive. Currently working on my car and think it will do a short tour of duty and then be retired.

Scirrococorrado had a 58k 1.4 Petrol for sale at 1700. Roughly what I use for my 60 mile round trip every day currently. Definitely a good daily runner.

Thanks for all replies! I'm probably being unduly pessimistic-if there was somewhere local that was familiar with the A2, I'd probably pay the money and get the most important jobs done. Stuff like servicing can wait-I can always just change the oil in the meantime, although the amount it's pissing out means that it pretty much always running on fresh oil! The mot doesn't run out until December, so I haven't got to rush in to anything. The old girl continues to run fine in the meantime-I'll give it some thought and see what transpires!

I like it; but not good if your A2 is your daily drive. Currently working on my car and think it will do a short tour of duty and then be retired.
My car is my daily drive. Wish I could afford 2 cars. While mine is in the garage I get to drive my partners Peugeot 206 estate Blurgh! Can't wait to get mine back.

My car is my daily drive. Wish I could afford 2 cars. While mine is in the garage I get to drive my partners Peugeot 206 estate Blurgh! Can't wait to get mine back.

I'm a bit luckier than that; when my A2 is of the road I get to drive a MkII Golf GTi or a Boxster. But I'm really unlucky right now; I've broken both of them and can't fix them until the A2 clears the garage :-((

Back