Tandem pump replacement

ICowie

A2OC Donor
Scotland
Hi Folks,

I ordered a Bosch tandem pump and gasket for my white Tdi that runs a BHC engine. The one I ordered was listed for the right engine code and was confirmed to be the correct part with the reg plate but I got a call from the garage saying that although the new pump fitted he couldn't get the throttle body back on as there was a slight difference between the old and new one.

I was wondering if anyone has come across this problem before?

This is the tandem pump I purchased
2020088cb377e01f871085d5bf026e8f.jpg
c807132763896b64ac5bb6507d778b50.jpg

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Yes the Bosch tandem is NOT a direct fitment on a BHC nor ATL due to the EGR and ASV being two separate items rather than combined on the AMF. The thicker Bosch tandem interferes with the ASV and needs an additional spacer on the ASV to move it out further to give the required clearance.

You will need to obtain another spacer and have Paul machine it for you. No work around as there is nothing safe to remove off either the ASV nor the tandem pump.

On LHD cars this is not an issue as the air pipe enters from the opposite side of the engine to the tandem pump and is probably the reason they are listing it as compatible. You can also come across a similar issue with blower motors as they assume a LHD blower motor assembly fits a RHD.. It does not..

That is the quality item. For a direct replacement you will need another LUK tandem pump. All Bosch pumps are thicker.

You will probably find the LUK pump is more expensive.

I've contacted Paul to see the availability of his adapters so fingers crossed he comes back with some good news. I've also been kindly given the part numbers from John Almond for the Pierburgh and LUK pumps.

PS.
just to add to the confusion, here are some other brands that claim to be suitable.

• BOSCH: F 009 D02 799
  • FEBI BILSTEIN: 39242
  • MEAT & DORIA: 91019
  • METZGER: 8010011
  • PIERBURG: 7.02551.20.0, 7.24807.17.0
  • VAICO: V10-0724

OK although dimensions are not provided LOOKING at them the first one John has linked to looks more like the LUK with the thin metal cover, the second has the much beefier cover similar to the Bosch pump. So AS A GUESS the Ridex one could be a LUK size pump.

Remember all the pumps will fit the car just not all will provide the ASV clearance ( unless you have a LHD car ).

Yes the Bosch tandem is NOT a direct fitment on a BHC nor ATL due to the EGR and ASV being two separate items rather than combined on the AMF. The thicker Bosch tandem interferes with the ASV and needs an additional spacer on the ASV to move it out further to give the required clearance.

You will need to obtain another spacer and have Paul machine it for you. No work around as there is nothing safe to remove off either the ASV nor the tandem pump.

On LHD cars this is not an issue as the air pipe enters from the opposite side of the engine to the tandem pump and is probably the reason they are listing it as compatible. You can also come across a similar issue with blower motors as they assume a LHD blower motor assembly fits a RHD.. It does not..
Does this mean that on LHD cars, both LUK and Bosch tandempumps are a direct bolt-on fit regardless engine, ATL, AMF, BHC?

Ok, I'm about to pull the trigger on the Ridex pump.
When it arrives, I will attempt to measure it and compare it with the LUK pump on the car at this moment.
I'll report back.

Ps.
It's actually from autodoc, so might be a while.
At least its free to return but apparently they can take up to 5 weeks to reimburse.

Last edited:
I am starting to suspect that there are two OEM manufacturers for the tandem pumps LUK and Bosch and all the others are copies of these two, perhaps manufactured under a licence agreement.

My last items from Autodoc took 9 calendar days to arrive and in that instance the postage cost more than the items!!!!!! But they are still sending to the UK without any customs issue - at least not for me.

It was a windscreen wiper spindles grommet cost a couple of quid with delivery just under a tenner... So if you are ordering from Autodoc worth adding in a few small items into a bigger ( more expensive ) order.

You are indeed correct, there are only two tandem pumps Bosch and LUK all others are rebranded versions of the above
As for quality who knows if they are indeed made under licence, the design is provided but the materials used and tolerances used may well be different
Even worse when China is brought into the picture

Paul

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You are indeed correct, there are only two tandem pumps Bosch and LUK all others are rebranded versions of the above
As for quality who knows if they are indeed made under licence, the design is provided but the materials used and tolerances used may well be different
Even worse when China is brought into the picture

Paul

and to muddy the waters even more, some are labelled "brake vacuum pumps" without a mention of their secondary task of pumping diesel The OEM no. for AMFs is 038145209Q/C though, isn't it?

Not sure on part number but if it doesn’t mention tandem then it is for the 1.9pd engine that as an electric lift pump in the tank (unlike the A2)

Paul

@Olerype
Yes on LHD cars you can use either Bosch or LUK as DIRECT replacements on the AMF, BHC, ATL and also the ANY.
If you use a Bosch pump with an ANY, you will need to replace the fixing bolts with Allen screws. Might be the same for AMF/BHC/ATL.

RAB

Back