Tapatalk and privacy

bretti_kivi

Hi,

As you might be aware, we recently moved the German forum to IPBoard, away from vBulletin. One of the things that's been directly affected by this is Tapatalk. It's been uninstalled and won't be reinstalled, mainly due to the business practices of Mobiquo (the company who run it). It involves unauthorised harvesting of email adresses - and then there's the practice of redirections going via them, images being uploaded by default to their servers... it's not pleasant. The statement is also that all information within the Tapatalk app is considered to be "public", which implies that passwords are also not secret (they cannot be!). The German users take privacy seriously - and therefore the forum has to, which is also why we moved to https a while back.

I know vB's mobile view is suboptimal, I'm far more concerned about giving lots of information to a third party.

What's the A2OC's take on this?

- Bret

Thanks Bret,

Due to recent team changes and other projects, we have not yet taken any stance on main site changes such as any new forum/cms platforms we are running etc. The admin team at A2OC do take security of our users as a main priority and will be looking into new avenues in the coming year. Any members who do have pressing security issues should contact myself or comment in the feedback section.

On a personal note:

Am not a fan of vBullitin and have not used it in an admin sense until taking my current position in the club. I have primarily used IPBoard & phpBB in the past. I much prefer these forum platforms in regard to community dev networks, backend interfaces and licence structure.

Thanks,

Euan

Just uninstalled tapatalk...thanks for the heads up Bret.

Hopefully any new provider will make it easier to upload photos as its impossible from a smartphone on vbulletin.

If the sofware change is going to cost money then i'm sure there are quite a few of us that would be willing to contribute.

Personally I'll say get tapatalk installed as it makes browsing a forum far better than the mobile site and also improves member activity as a lot of people would sooner just use Facebook groups if no app is available. I used to own and run a car furum in the past so know first hand about how having tapatalk can improve member activity

Thanks Bret,

Due to recent team changes and other projects, we have not yet taken any stance on main site changes such as any new forum/cms platforms we are running etc. The admin team at A2OC do take security of our users as a main priority and will be looking into new avenues in the coming year. Any members who do have pressing security issues should contact myself or comment in the feedback section.

On a personal note:

Am not a fan of vBullitin and have not used it in an admin sense until taking my current position in the club. I have primarily used IPBoard & phpBB in the past. I much prefer these forum platforms in regard to community dev networks, backend interfaces and licence structure.

Thanks,

Euan

I've used vb4 a lot as it was the software I used when I owned a forum and once you get used to the administration panel it's by far the best in my opinion and there i's plenty of addons aviable to do pretry much whateveryou want. Just don't upgrade to vb5

Either way I'd update this image with the club logo instead of the vb logo

a2oc.net/forum/images/mobile/vbulletin-logo.png

Tapatalk ain't great and I've not found it beneficial on forums I've used or modded , after the initial novelty of it many binned it off . The security issues are interesting as I'd be inclined to ditch it now more

Nice to see tapatalk on here now . I for one will be more active on here now

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

I'm far more impressed with iPB now I've got into it. Far more flexible, powerful and great mobile skins out of the box. vB really is a poor relation in comparison.

- Bret

Is that the one used on a2-freun.de?

I'm really liking the new interface there. Very slick and snappy.

I'm far more impressed with iPB now I've got into it. Far more flexible, powerful and great mobile skins out of the box. vB really is a poor relation in comparison.

- Bret

yep, that's the one. One of the big things currently missing is the autorotation of the pics on the front page.

- Bret

Back