TDi 90 gearbox transplant

Ami

A2OC Donor
United-Kingdom
I have a Tdi90 with only 90 k miles on the clock & many many extras, but the DMF needs replacing, @drewroberts has kindly offered me a complete gearbox from another Tdi90 with known good DMF etc, my question is,
1) how hard is it to take the complete gearbox off one car & transplant to another, would save me a lot of money.
2) Does anyone have a simple procedure to follow to do this job,
3)anyone close to Horsham where my Work shop is could help ( Paid Help ), I have a workshop with 5 A2,s ,tools etc

Cheers,
Ami

Last edited:
What's wrong with the gearbox?

Youtube has a great video of a young women removing an clutch

What's wrong with the gearbox?

Youtube has a great video of a young women removing an clutch
I have seen all her 3 Videos Tom, but while watching,I keep loosing consentration on the actual gearbox ;)
If I could employ her just for a day & she does it in half an hour, oil change takes me longer.

Ohh, very bad vibration when you put your foot on the pedal, strangly it was'nt like this when I drove the car in the workshop at Xmas, but something has gone wrong since without even driving the car.

Sounds like its just the flywheel this may well disappear for a while too it's odd how dmf's can behave!

Personally I would go smf and jdd gearbox

Reactions: Ami
My 90 has started with an ominous shake under heavy acceleration but seems to settle once you're up to speed. I suspect some sort of flywheel issue so will watch this thread with nervous anticipation.

Please also do check inner CV joints first when you've got shaking issues, especially under acceleration and /or going uphill. Would be a bummer if it's a CV joint and you've changed clutch/gearbox.

JDD gearbox is nice, although limited at what it can take torque wise from a 90hp: 6 speeders from 1.6tdi can handle more torque.
Weakest link is clutch, I've got a AMF SMF on my 90hp, and till now it can handle the (remapped) torque (300Nm) in combination with a 6 speed.

Gearbox removal can be a DIY job. A good jack & axle stands required, and if you want to make it yourself easy, an engine hoist to take/keep engine of it's mounts (not mandatory).

Last edited:
Thanks guys for your response, mine seems hard to engage gear but when warmed up a bit better not a lot. I have most tools required, hopefully with easy to follow procedure, will try to swap & see if the result is positive, Audi main dealer quoted £2000 to do the job, 10 hours labour plus parts, not going that route though.
Cheers

Ideal time for a six speed conversion surely @Ami ?

I’ve just driven Audrey a couple of hundred miles to south-west Wales and at 67-70mph the engine is just a faint throbbing burble in the background of tyre noise - I’ve not driven a standard ATL 5 speed but as fifth on the PTW box is almost identical to the GRJ fifth I’ve tried it at that speed and it felt very busy / strained compared to when I change up. Well worth doing if you can get a well-priced gearbox.

you are right, just the time to source one & experties to do the job
It’s hardly any extra work to be honest over installing another standard 5 speed, you just need to fabricate one simple bracket - if you can weld then there is a plan on the forum for it somewhere.

It’s hardly any extra work to be honest over installing another standard 5 speed, you just need to fabricate one simple bracket - if you can weld then there is a plan on the forum for it somewhere.
welding is way beyond my abilities

Hi, I took advice from some of @depronmans excellent posts on gearbox removal when my dmf started vibrating earlier this year, I then wrote this:

Hope it’s some use.

Andy

Hi, I took advice from some of @depronmans excellent posts on gearbox removal when my dmf started vibrating earlier this year, I then wrote this:

Hope it’s some use.

Andy
Thanks very much Andy , I will read & try to digest it, I see the little German lady video is there too.

Hi again Andy:
Everything regarding, removing bumper, front panel,Rad, Condensor, I have done to atleast 6 other A2's but never the Clutch/Gerabox, however reading through your notes, I am determine to have a go, just needed a kick start. not in any rush, so little by little & hopefully I will get there.
Thanks again for your support.
Cheers
Ami

Thanks guys for your response, mine seems hard to engage gear but when warmed up a bit better not a lot. I have most tools required, hopefully with easy to follow procedure, will try to swap & see if the result is positive, Audi main dealer quoted £2000 to do the job, 10 hours labour plus parts, not going that route though.
Cheers
10 hours!! I have looked before on autodata sure it's around 6 tops!

Think WOM charge around £250 plus vat or maybe even £200 plus vat if no notification is required

Hi again Andy:
Everything regarding, removing bumper, front panel,Rad, Condensor, I have done to atleast 6 other A2's but never the Clutch/Gerabox, however reading through your notes, I am determine to have a go, just needed a kick start. not in any rush, so little by little & hopefully I will get there.
Thanks again for your support.
Cheers
Ami
If you’ve got that far before, you know how much access you have to the engine/gearbox, and you are 85% there! then it’s just a case of supporting the engine not from the gearbox end, ie from up top or underneath, undo the bolts and pull it off, I put several large old cushions under it on some old sleeper blocks so it didn’t fall very far, and pulled it and it sort of dropped easily off ( with driveshaft flange off) the space then with the gearbox off allows you to work on the clutch/ flywheel with ease. I’m no mechanic (broadcast engineer) and have never done a clutch before and found it ok in my garage, I’m sure you’ll be fine.
Cheers

Andy

Back