TDI engine cover - ideas

Birchall

Dick Chown Award 2016
Hi

has anyone any ideas how we could get a group buy organised for an alternative engine cover for the TDI.
The current fibre one really looks dull and cheap.

If we have any budding designers that would consider looking at a nice new alternative I am sure that there would be plenty of interest.
It doesn’t look extremely complex and is only mounted with three screws.

Something in fibreglass or thin aluminium perhaps. (Sound deadening mats could be used on the back to ensure that there is still some sound reduction)

Not too plain but not to “tacky”.

Would anyone be interested in one, if we find a way?

We now have some nice tubing via Timmus but the fibre cover let’s them down badly.

Just a thought?

Steve B

Last edited:
Funnily enough Steve I've always wanted to do something with the engine cover but my plan involved spraying it with heat resistant paint and adding better sound proofing. Appreciate your post as it could develop ideas. ?

Hi

has anyone any ideas how we could get a group buy organised for an alternative engine cover for the TDI.
The current fibre one really looks dull and cheap.

If we have any budding designers that would consider looking at a nice new alternative I am sure that there would be plenty of interest.
It doesn’t look extremely complex and is only mounted with three screws.

Something in fibreglass or thin aluminium perhaps. (Sound deadening mats could be used on the back to ensure that there is stick sone sound reduction)
Not too plain but not to “tacky”.

Would anyone be interested?

We now have sone nice tubing via Timmus but the fibre cover let’s them down badly.

Just a thought?

Steve B
Evening Steve,

I’m certainly not the engineer you’re after but like a challenge.

I have the next 2 weeks off work so could put a few hours into finding out what someone could do for us.

I’ll wait for a few responses on here first to see what kind of material is preferred and get an idea of what everyone is after.

Great idea as, like Dave @Special edition, I too have thought of finding something that looks a little more welcoming when our unique bonnet is removed.

For everyone else reading this, please do get some pictures on here of ideas so we can agree on a general look and I’ll see if I can take it to the next stage.

If there are any experts in this field wanting to take this on I’m more than happy to step aside.

Kind regards,

Tom

Hi Tom

you have already put in a huge effort to get the footrests done, you don’t have to take this on. But thanks for the offer.

Perhaps a poll might help?

Thin aluminium, fibreglass or pressed this steel as being the options.
Also a poll to judge for the potential number of interested members (subject to cost of course.

I was thinking of pressed thin aluminium, with a paintable option so that they can be colour coded. Leaving people to dress them up as they wish, just plain or some Audi stickers/badges?

as a “starter for ten”

Steve B

what about an ally shin about 2mm thick, it would need to be bent into shape and on the underside have a thick sound deadening blanket bonded to the ally skin
Could have the A2oc or A2 logo as per the foot rest
if the bends need to be in two planes then welding would be needed
I cant see this being a cheap thing to produce, ally sheet, cutting, bending, welding then the sound deadening blanket, postage to send it out packaging etc

Not trying to put a dampener on it, just being realistic

Paul

what about an ally shin about 2mm thick, it would need to be bent into shape and on the underside have a thick sound deadening blanket bonded to the ally skin
Could have the A2oc or A2 logo as per the foot rest
if the bends need to be in two planes then welding would be needed
I cant see this being a cheap thing to produce, ally sheet, cutting, bending, welding then the sound deadening blanket, postage to send it out packaging etc

Not trying to put a dampener on it, just being realistic

Paul

Realistic is essential!

We could perhaps limit the number of contours and still make it look good.
A challenge perhaps but worth it to dress up the under bonnet a little.

All input is welcome.

Steve B

Hi Tom

you have already put in a huge effort to get the footrests done, you don’t have to take this on. But thanks for the offer.

Perhaps a poll might help?

Thin aluminium, fibreglass or pressed this steel as being the options.
Also a poll to judge for the potential number of interested members (subject to cost of course.

I was thinking of pressed thin aluminium, with a paintable option so that they can be colour coded. Leaving people to dress them up as they wish, just plain or some Audi stickers/badges?

as a “starter for ten”

Steve B

Any form of pressing will but you into tooling being needed which will but this into the too expensive bracket
The only way this is going to work in metal (ally or steel) is to laser cut it, bend it, weld it
Or if it will work as only bends in a single plane then the welding is not needed, simply cut and bend

The bending can be done on a sheet former by hand for the limited numbers we would need negating the need for tooling
The accuracy of the bends would not be that critical, so hand forming is certainly the way to go

if annealed ally sheet is used it and the grain flow is correctly orientated for the cutting it may even be possible to bend it using some peices of 3" Sq timber and coatch bolts, a bit heath robinson but would work for small numbers. A simple wooden checking template would do to check the form was correct

Paul

Just thinking could you get someone to 3D PRINT on a mega size printer something like this....
1601688360373.png

to replace this?
1601687913952.png

Just thinking could you get someone to 3D PRINT on a mega size printer something like this....
View attachment 70699

to replace this?
View attachment 70698
That is a great starting point, but a bit too big for a home 3D printer.
A touch artificial looking but I am sure that the basic black part of that would be a great starting point and it would save a huge amount of time (and therefore cost).

We could look at a more tasteful (I am assuming that it would come off.

A brilliant idea, thanks.

I will see if I can get hold of one to “ play around with”

Cheers

Steve B

Reading this got me thinking, with a bit of modification what about a polo tdi engine cover ? Most of the donkey work has been done. Fill in the oil fill hole and a bit of badge engineering it could possibly fit.

Yes, I have been looking at these on EBay but the shape, especially at the front looks to be a problem, but worth trying.

Has anyone tried a different cover from a similar VW Audi model?

Happy to buy one to try but if anyone has tried this it would help to know what happened.

I will probably buy a couple of different ones to try.

Cheers
Steve B

Reactions: Hef
Do you mean like this? Sprayed Dolphin Grey to match the car...
87d43399da00271f5000a1b40d5db96e.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
Bob,

I think I know the answer but can you please confirm what car this is from. It looks nice.

Kind regards,

Tom

Tom, this is Jelly, my Dolphin Grey Tdi.
Have been playing around with ideas since I got it but only fitted earlier this year.
I think Stainless would be the best way to go if remaking from sheet. With engine vibration Aluminium will fatigue and crack. The drawback with Stainless is its weight.
I think Carbon Fibre would look great!
Fibreglass may be an option, as durable, relatively easy to mould and cost effective. Still kicking other ideas around, as want an FSI version!

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Back