tdi inner cv boots

Howey

England
Apologies if this has been already covered but unable to find it

My 2002 1.4 tdi needs its inner cv boots replacing

Does anybody know, once the shaft is removed and old boot cut off does the inner cv simply slide off?

Euro list 2 different sizes which is confusing??

Many thanks

Howey

Apologies if this has been already covered but unable to find it

My 2002 1.4 tdi needs its inner cv boots replacing

Does anybody know, once the shaft is removed and old boot cut off does the inner cv simply slide off?

Euro list 2 different sizes which is confusing??

Many thanks

Howey

Better to replace the CV joint complete. There's needle bearings inside, if water or moisture ingress has taken place and you replace only the boot, you can wait for it to go rattle..... Bought this set (for a 2003 TDI), not very expensive, and can be installed in situ (at least at the R/H side).

Screenshot_20191207_201159.jpg

Better to replace the CV joint complete. There's needle bearings inside, if water or moisture ingress has taken place and you replace only the boot, you can wait for it to go rattle..... Bought this set (for a 2003 TDI), not very expensive, and can be installed in situ (at least at the R/H side).

View attachment 59555
Many thanks Menno for your response and information!

As it happens the boots are just cracked and look likely to fail

Once the inner joint is unbolted and old boot cut off does the hardy splicer tripod thingy simply slide out of the housing?

Many thanks

Howey

Mega! Many thanks thats good to know what to expect!

Any idea why euro list 2 different sizes?

Personally I have used the J&R branded joint kits from eBay
Likely as cheap as a boot

You get the CV joint plus a boot plus metal clips for the boot plus C clips plus grease all for £20 inner and £15 outer
Cost me £58 a couple of years ago for all four and free delivery
Not worth just changing the boot as that was nearly the same price
Quality wise they are slop free and two years of use and 18k miles latter are still slop free
I don’t understand how they do it for the money
Cheers. Paul

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Personally I have used the J&R branded joint kits from eBay
Likely as cheap as a boot

You get the CV joint plus a boot plus metal clips for the boot plus C clips plus grease all for £20 inner and £15 outer
Cost me £58 a couple of years ago for all four and free delivery
Not worth just changing the boot as that was nearly the same price
Quality wise they are slop free and two years of use and 18k miles latter are still slop free
I don’t understand how they do it for the money
Cheers. Paul

Morning paul

Yeah only hear good things about J+R
For the money it is astonishing!

Looks like the boot sizes relate as 2000-2003 (68mm)
2003-2006 (71mm)

Mine should be 68mm so about £8 for a euro/car parts for less GKN lobro boot kit

Decisions descisions.....

Many thanks for your input!

Cheers

Howey

My the time you add the grease and the time to clean it all I would just fit the j&r joint
Or buy it and use the boot and keep the joint just in case

My the time you add the grease and the time to clean it all I would just fit the j&r joint
Or buy it and use the boot and keep the joint just in case

Yeah thats what iam leaning towards but will be new year now as a bit skint at the mo!
Cars got 164k on it so a bit concerned about oil pump chain, no known symptoms with but not sure if you always get a warning!

The chain rattles. I had one at 288 k miles and never changed chain and it did not rattle sold the A2 a few months ago to a local guy and I still see it around town
Very much depends on service history. Oil changes and oil quality
On the cv joint remember if you are removing the shaft from the car that the nut is a single use they are about £2
And if the outer joint as never been out that Audi fit them with anti fretting compound It a bonding agent a bit like thread lock and they will need a hub mounted press tool to get the joint out. They will not come out by tapping with an hammer
Never tried to change the inner with the shaft on the car but the outer gaiter gets more hammer than the inner so if inners are cracking then the outer dare likely in the same condition unless previously changed

Wow thats big miles and helps to put my mind at rest somewhat (no guarantee of course but great to know what they can acheive)
Mines showing good service history and just serviced it again, got the metal fuel filter not much fun to change but sound better than the plastic fantastic!
Does the driveshaft nut do anything special to make it single use (i know most cars have a single use fixing for securing driveshaft but always re-used originals myself) guess its a dealer/tps job?

Many thanks
Howey

View attachment 59555
I have just changed mine(right side) last Friday ...exactly this brand 40 eur ...complete kit
There was a big vibration all over when I was on 4th and 5th gear around 2000/3000rpm.
Now is Smooth and silent again

Wow thats big miles and helps to put my mind at rest somewhat (no guarantee of course but great to know what they can acheive)
Mines showing good service history and just serviced it again, got the metal fuel filter not much fun to change but sound better than the plastic fantastic!
Does the driveshaft nut do anything special to make it single use (i know most cars have a single use fixing for securing driveshaft but always re-used originals myself) guess its a dealer/tps job?

Many thanks
Howey
the drive shaft nut has two 'wings' or 'barbs' which as you tighten the nut kind of ratchet or click down, when you undo the nut they get bent out of the way and if you try to straighten the barbs they break off
so these are TRUE single use nuts

Also worth mentioning that the early cars had a different design of nut, you undo it with a allen key from memory, the latter nut (which can and should be used on all replacements) is a 12 point and needs a suitable sized 12 point socket - much better design

the drive shaft nut has two 'wings' or 'barbs' which as you tighten the nut kind of ratchet or click down, when you undo the nut they get bent out of the way and if you try to straighten the barbs they break off
so these are TRUE single use nuts

Also worth mentioning that the early cars had a different design of nut, you undo it with a allen key from memory, the latter nut (which can and should be used on all replacements) is a 12 point and needs a suitable sized 12 point socket - much better design
My TDI from October 2002 have 12point nut ,36 mm and the nut it’s better to change every time you remove it

I have just changed mine(right side) last Friday ...exactly this brand 40 eur ...complete kit
There was a big vibration all over when I was on 4th and 5th gear around 2000/3000rpm.
Now is Smooth and silent again

Had the same symptoms. Previous owner installed a new boot on R/H, and I was left with the remains after XXX kilometers.

To be clear; it is possible to change the inner CV without taking the complete shaft out. Outside CV can stay in the hub, and no need to undo the outer driveshaft nut.
I must admit it's tight, but not impossible....

Thanks gents for your very helpful advice!

Thought those nuts were a bit funky, suits the A2 i suppose!

Loving the "family feel" of this forum/owners club, its very refreshing!

Just looked on ebay and J+R do the hubs nuts for £2 posted, the lugs point out from new, such an odd design!

Had the same symptoms. Previous owner installed a new boot on R/H, and I was left with the remains after XXX kilometers.

To be clear; it is possible to change the inner CV without taking the complete shaft out. Outside CV can stay in the hub, and no need to undo the outer driveshaft nut.
I must admit it's tight, but not impossible....
Yup it’s possible ...but it’s too tight and it’s not that difficult to take the diveshaft out

Back