Temperature Guage

tonyr

The temperature guage on my 1.4TDi is behaving erratically at the moment.
When I am idling in traffic the guage needle drops to 60deg. but when I am moving at a regular speed it moves up to 90deg. its normal operating temperature. On long runs it some tiomes drops back down to 60 for a few minutes then goes back up to 90 again. Which is exactly the opposite from what I would expect. The engine has never overheated and seems to be running perfectly normally. Oh by the way I have declined an offer from my local dealer to do a check and report on the problem for £80.00. Hope someone out there may be able to throw some light on the problem.

Mine did exactly the same, I had to take the car in for a VSI maintenance anyway and they changed the thermostat and temperature sensor. It is not back to what it was before, though, the warming up takes noticeably longer now.

warming up probs

I too have had warm up problems with my 6 month old A2 TDi, it takes 15 mins or so in freezing conditions, but curiously the guage drops up to 10 deg when idling in a queue. I returned to dealer who checked it out and said all systems operating normally, no faults, and no charge. Which was nice.. seems to me the thermostat should not allow temp to fall when it warm and running, and i would expect it to get real hot considering the bay is totally encased including underneath. So i have slipped a perspex blank between the rad and grille to help remove ram effects, and as dealer said, its a peculiarity to this thermo efficient engine. Does anyone know where the housing for thermo is and if it can be changed, or if the 90ps model or the petrol versions have this prob? I borrowed an A4 diesel for the day, no probs with that :(

Check out 'Temperature Gauge Woes' in the Servicing, Repairs and Assistance section for more info on this topic.

Cheers Spike

Back