Things that cause an FSI Engine Management Light to come on

Teresa

Social Secretary
European-Union
I've put this in here because you have to laugh or you'll cry. What random things have you done that made your FSI put their EML on?

I'll start as after the best part of 2 months with the light off after having her inlet manifold fixed, I made the heinous error of stopping at Sainsbury's rather than Tesco for fuel. This was obviously so awful for Mabel, that she immediately had to put her EML on.

I've put this in here because you have to laugh or you'll cry. What random things have you done that made your FSI put their EML on?

I'll start as after the best part of 2 months with the light off after having her inlet manifold fixed, I made the heinous error of stopping at Sainsbury's rather than Tesco for fuel. This was obviously so awful for Mabel, that she immediately had to put her EML on.
I once filled up at Sainsbury's and after a 3 mile drive, stopped off at a shop. My FSI then refused to start. Chatting to the RAC call handler this is not unheard of! After 20 minutes waiting for the RAC to arrive I thought I would give starting another go and it did with with no further problems that year.

Teresa, clear the fault but for the record note what the code says and I am betting you will not suffer further, at least for some time. Back to Momentum (sounds political!).

Andy

... Sneezing*?

*I should qualify this by saying a) this post is in the Laughter Lounge, and b) to be fair to FSI's I often get the EML light come on at random times on Baby Boomer, but it will also randomly go off again.

Last edited:
The ECU feels neglected? I keep an OBD-II fault code reader in the car at all times to see what the latest puzzle the car is throwing at me but I once made the mistake of leaving it plugged in, which flattened the battery when I didn't use the car for three days.

When you unlock the car you unlock a new code and you have to piece the puzzle of codes together to find what’s wrong with it ?

Theresa, i also keep an OB11 reader in the car just in case and yes it's happened to me too. It only happened when one of us puts it into the next gear too quickly ie the revs are too low and the car picks up speed from too low a revs.It's something to do with a sensor that doesn't like something and sets it off.

These engines are great, but they are extremely sensitive hence why Audi dropped this particular system.

My mechanic Gary says, that the ECU over a period of something like 80 miles travelled, accumulates lots of different running parameters from sensors around the engine. Running parameters are stored during that time and if one of the parameters is out up comes the EML light.Seriously frustrating but it's because the system is so sensitive. Just carry a OB 11 reader and clear the fault.

Do you have a recommendation Mark?

Theresa, i also keep an OB11 reader in the car just in case and yes it's happened to me too. It only happened when one of us puts it into the next gear too quickly ie the revs are too low and the car picks up speed from too low a revs.It's something to do with a sensor that doesn't like something and sets it off.

These engines are great, but they are extremely sensitive hence why Audi dropped this particular system.

My mechanic Gary says, that the ECU over a period of something like 80 miles travelled, accumulates lots of different running parameters from sensors around the engine. Running parameters are stored during that time and if one of the parameters is out up comes the EML light.Seriously frustrating but it's because the system is so sensitive. Just carry a OB 11 reader and clear the fault.

I have just had my 1.4 upgraded to DIS by Tom (Timmus) using an ex-FSI clockset that I had.

Once Tom had got over the shock of finding that an ex FSI clockset still had a functioning EML - it was fitted without difficulty.

BUT - for the first 100 miles or so the EML lit up and continued to stay lit after re-starts. Then it went off. Since then - no problems.

So I can only think that the clockset was so used to being in an FSI that it felt it had to illuminate the EML (until it sunk in that the new installation was a 1.4 :) .) Do clocksets have feelings .........?

I have just had my 1.4 upgraded to DIS by Tom (Timmus) using an ex-FSI clockset that I had.

Once Tom had got over the shock of finding that an ex FSI clockset still had a functioning EML - it was fitted without difficulty.

BUT - for the first 100 miles or so the EML lit up and continued to stay lit after re-starts. Then it went off. Since then - no problems.

So I can only think that the clockset was so used to being in an FSI that it felt it had to illuminate the EML (until it sunk in that the new installation was a 1.4 :) .) Do clocksets have feelings .........?

Sounds like it, a bit worrying. ?

Back