This warning popped up...

OldSchool

A2OC Donor
This warning “light” popped up very briefly...

started car... was fiddling with Sat nav etc and heard beep, looked at screen and at first couldn’t recognise the symbol... it then disappeared and I thought, not sure what that was...

drove to shops etc... came home... next day started car, was setting phone in charger and bleep sounds... look at screen... trying to figure out what symbol means... then notice temperature gauge above it has same symbol on it...

Does this mean I have faulty temperature sensor?

Light goes away pretty quickly... car is driving fine...

should I ring the AA?

EE9615F8-C824-44B1-B0AB-C48018E0C8AC.jpeg
EE9615F8-C824-44B1-B0AB-C48018E0C8AC.jpeg

Last edited:
My mk2 galaxy did this its quite a common fault in the vag range of giving false reading/warning.

I unplugged the multiplug and used a fuse to bridge the wires in the wiring plug. There are some reports the bottle can leak at the point where the contacts are and rot out the wiring right down the loom but i have never experienced this (thank god!)

What condition is the coolant in? If brown then the wrong coolant has been mixed together and this causes all types of coolant issues. You must only use G12, G12+, G12++ or G13 correctly diluted. If the expansion tank is sludgy and discoloured either replace the whole lot with new or remove it from the car and thoroughly clean it out. I clean them by firstly flushing with hot soapy water and the connections blanked off with corks and fingers cut from rubber gloves. After the soapy water I use a small handful of aquarium gravel and more hot water with vigorous shaking. Rinse out all the gravel. The final stage is to use hot water and a crushed up dish washer tablet and again shake well. Hopefully by now the tank is pretty clean. Thoroughly rinse and refit to the car after refitting the level sensor wiring plug to check the warning comes on when low and is off when at the level. You can now remove the blanks and top up the reservoir. Run the car up to temp and recheck / refill as needed.

Mine does this once a month as there's a bit of leak on one of the coolant hoses. I just refill it and it goes fine again for a while. First 3 beeps usually disappear as that's just a warning, unless there's a big hole somewhere, then the icon stays there for longer. Sometimes it happens if you park uphill and the coolant shifts. If you got car's manual it's all in it.

Last edited:
Ok guys, there is fluid in there... it is below the minimum level but it’s not at the very bottom

I can’t really tell colour it seems muddy?

A4AA48B7-B891-4BFC-A09D-FD837E43D3D8.jpeg

Attachments

• DDC360B1-BF2B-4C77-921D-CB5B2129EE50.jpeg
    DDC360B1-BF2B-4C77-921D-CB5B2129EE50.jpeg
    344.4 KB · Views: 172
Can I get anything to top it up and then schedule a flush of system next week when I have time?

Buy 1.5L premixed G13 coolant from any VAG dealer and use that to top up with for now. If it's easier, you can buy on eBay:

You can also usually get premixed g13 from ECP for around £10 for 5 litres

Ebay link

£12 and a 15% ebay voucher can be applied today on top taking it to around that £10 mark.

Last edited:
Does look like incorrect or ancient coolant. Temp top up, remove the expansion tank and flush the rest of the system with a garden hose. Clean the expansion as suggested ( or replace it )

Back