Thoughts on Audi A1 16" wheels.

Dave M

Admin Team
United-Kingdom
Currently saving up for a set of Audi A1 16" alloy wheels for summer as i think they suit the A2 nicely. I,m running winter pepperpots at the moment and was wondering if anyones swapped from pepperpots to these A1 wheels. Having changed to "heavier" wheels in the past, and being disappointed, i,d be interested to know how they effect the drive, general running, comfort, fuel consumption etc. Any thoughts on on the most comfiest tyres for these wheels would be also be appreciated.

Many thanks
Dave.:)

Last edited:
Currently saving up for a set of Audi A1 16" alloy wheels for summer as i think they suit the A2 nicely. I,m running winter pepperpots at the moment and was wondering if anyones swapped from pepperpots to these A1 wheels. Having changed to "heavier" wheels in the past, and being disappointed, i,d be interested to know how they effect the drive, general running, comfort, fuel consumption etc. Any thoughts on on the most comfiest tyres for these wheels would be also be appreciated.

Many thanks

The below rims were fitted to the 2005-2008 VW Polo MK4 1.8GTI

6.5Jx16 ET38 6Q0601025AD
(4)6Q0 601 025 ADaluminium rim
- GTI -
6,5JX16H2 ET384PR-C7C
6Q0 601 025 AD8Z8diamond silver2011.05 - 2007.08

1642951712584.png

Images for 6Q0601025AD

1642891639583.png

Vredestein Quatrac 195/50R16 88V XL (Euro Label C B 70dB)

Last edited:
I switched from 17" wheels to second hand 16" A1 alloys (205/45/16) on my TDi about 4 years ago - wanted more compliance in the suspension as I found the 17" tyres (205/40/17) crashy. Can't immediately remember exact alloy size (offset, J) but checked the offset beforehand and was very close to the originals.

Ultimately got a better ride, wider choice of tyres, but a little less control when pushing the car round corners in the dry.

Im running the 16" (common) A1 wheels, much nicer ride compared to the 17" my sport TDI had, but the 205/50 R16 rubbed on full lock for me, so I'm still running them on the back but moved to 195/50 R16 on the front, they never rub.
Capture.PNG

Hi Dave,

maybe pointless but my system has given the below weights for the wheels -

A3 15" pepperpots 5.735KG
A1 16" 10 spokes 10.599kg

Thanks
Its not pointless Tom and this is just what i needed...... thankyou. The A1 alloys are nearly twice the weight of pepperpots which gives me food for thought.
The pollen filter and bolts arrived safely this morning in the post too which is much appreciated.

Cheers

Im running the 16" (common) A1 wheels, much nicer ride compared to the 17" my sport TDI had, but the 205/50 R16 rubbed on full lock for me, so I'm still running them on the back but moved to 195/50 R16 on the front, they never rub. View attachment 90511
That must be the 10mm lower Sport suspension making the difference there then as I've had 205/50 16 tyres on both mk1 TT and A1 wheels and never had a problem (and i know many others have too) but that has always been on SE spec TDI's with standard suspension.

That also probably explains why some people have mentioned the occasional touching when using slightly oversized 205/45 17 rather than 205/40 tyres on the standard 17" Sport alloys, when most others have never had a problem and loved the increase in ride quality, comfort and more accurate speedo.

I suppose if you think about it bringing the body (and wheel arch liners closer down to the wheels/tyres will have that effect but don't forget that the make and model of tyres in the same size vary massively too regarding rim protectors and shape of the shoulders so just because one size of tyre fits, it might not in a different make or model ?

Hi Dave,

maybe pointless but my system has given the below weights for the wheels -

A3 15" pepperpots 5.735KG
A1 16" 10 spokes 10.599kg

Thanks
Would you happen to have the weight of a standard 16" SE alloy listed too as I bet it is very similar to the A1 10 spoke Sport wheel weight and would be a useful comparison to have as a lot of people swap from these?

Edit- the 17' Sport wheel weight would be good to have in the same thread for easy reference too if you could oblige??

Last edited:
Im running the 16" (common) A1 wheels, much nicer ride compared to the 17" my sport TDI had, but the 205/50 R16 rubbed on full lock for me, so I'm still running them on the back but moved to 195/50 R16 on the front, they never rub. View attachment 90511
Just wondering if you had the standard 215/45 16 tyres on the A1 wheels when you bought them and if they rub on a Sport too? ?

Just wondering if you had the standard 215/45 16 tyres on the A1 wheels when you bought them and if they rub on a Sport too? ?
Must admit I can’t remember what was on them when I purchased, at the time I was doing a Cornwall to Newcastle round trip every week, so I quickly binned the mix and match used tyres and got a full new set.

Reactions: A2Z
Back