Timing belt

Had the A2 serviced by Audi yesterday (variable interval £501, including front pad replacement...how reasonable :( ) I asked what was the recommended interval for the timing belt change. The girl looking after me checked her bit of paper and said that although 80k was quoted for the diesel, there was no specified interval on the petrol version so I would be ok (car on 71k now)

So how does that work then?...are these magic German belts or is this completely duff information?

I'm sure someone can help with definitive info. on here

Thanks in advance

I would say that it was completely duff info. Why not go to a VW main agent for a quote if no independants near you. You will be surprised.

Hi monkeyfinger
There seems to be a lot of conflicting info on belt change intervals, particularly for diesels. Some dealers are now quoting 4 years (see Brian's mail in the attached thread)
I don't get to my local Audi garage very often but will make a concerted effort to find out what the correct petrol and diesel belt change intervals are.
Anyone visiting their dealer in the near future, please do the same and we can compare notes

http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?t=4352&highlight=timing+belt

Cheers Spike

variable service etc

Hi,
I posted this info previously but just to let you know,had my third v/service done couple of months ago ,cost was approx £205.00 which included the filters plus long life oil(by ind audi in Nottm).
Have also had my cam timeing belts ,plus two ajustable pulleys & one idler pulley done 3 weeks ago,(AUDI now say this should be done no later than 60,000 miles,so be warned!)the total cost of timeing belts/3 pulleys job done ,was £200.00,great price or what!!!, yes the mechanic was an independant self employed friend,even gave me the old parts,
Lucky me, cheers Alan

Ps toprevious reply.

Forgot to say my A2 is a 1.4 petrol(2001 reg.)also be careful on timeing belt quotes,there are 3 types of quotes you must say you require the full job, ie belts(2) & pulleys(3).On some of the quotes they only quote for either singlebelt and or less pulleys,prices where cheaper but get the job done fully ,makes sence to me,ALAN.

I called in at Audi Teesside today and asked about cambelt change intervals. Both the Service and Parts guys were very helpful and provided the following info
Timing belt should be changed after 4 years on ALL models or at the following mileage (whichever comes first)
1.6FSi and TDi..................60,000 miles
TDi - from May 2004......... 80,000 miles
1.4 petrol ........................No mileage limit
For those brave (or daft) enough to do it themselves, a kit is available which includes the belt, tensioner pulley and idler roller at £88 + vat. The water pump costs £23 +vat exchange.
Service said they don't automatically change the water pump and rarely see problems with them.

Cheers Spike

Question: does that mean *all* Tdi's get the 80,000 mile - cambelt installed after 2004, or just the reg 2004 and after models?

Hi Werner
I think its only cars built after May 04, probably due to a design change which gives the belt an easier life. This is pure speculation but it could be anything from a change in the way injection pressures ramp up to maximum to a redesign of the camshaft
Safest thing to do is check with your own dealer

Cheers Spike

General advice on most of the technical forums (especially Honest John) os to change at 40k regardless of manufacturers view. VAG especially have had problems in the past.

Key question is whether the engine is interference or not - if not you may want to take the chance, if it is I wouldn't.

p.s. Interference means the piston hits the valves when the belt goes - result is an engine re-build. Non interference just need a new belt.

I've just got a 2001 1.4 SE petrol and with a full Audi service history including all the receipts. There's no record of the cambelt ever having been changed, although it has only just done 27k miles.

After reading this thread I was a little concerned that it may be overdue, so I rang my local Audi dealer (Chelmsford) who insisted that there's no time limit on it just the mileage of 80k.

A little googling found this thread:

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=27969

which although related to the A3/S3 suggests that Audi may have changed their mind more than once.

I'm just trying to decide if this really needs to be done, any advice would be welcome.

Richard

Hi Richard
The cambelt will deteriorate with age as well as mileage. Based on 80k being correct and taking 12k as the average annual mileage then a reasonable life would be 6+ years. I would therefore recommend you change it fairly soon.

For diesel owners, the cambelt has a much harder life than the petrol so I would stick to the 4 years or related milage in mail 6 above to be on the safe side

Cheers Spike

Hi Richard

As Spike says a cambelt will deteriorate with age i would change every four years diesel or petrol as it is a lot cheeper then doing a engine rebulid or head as this will be the outcome if the belt brakes

cheers
Robin

There does seem to be some confusion over timing belt renewal. I spoke to Audi Hereford and they told me there's no time limit just needs to be done every 60k miles. I said a wanted it done anyway as given the mileage I do they won't see the car for another 2 years to service it! Also with the extra torque from the re-map it's not a risk I want to take...

Quoted me £380
and £290 for the second service

By contrast Cardiff Audi wanted:
£362 for service
and wait for it... £634 for the belt and pump !!!!

How does that compare to what others have paid?

Cheers.
Si

I have my cambelt changed every 60,000 miles, I've a TDi SE.
I had my water pump changed at 120,000 miles, and it looked good as new, no weeping.

I do around 25-30,000 per year, so it's every 2 years or so.

hth

bba

£275 at Stoke Audi,mind this was for a 1.4 petrol,plus another £17 for a replacement V belt(Alternator)replaced at the same time.

Had my cam belt/water pump changed at 80K, had it serviced every 10,000'ish miles since but now on 122,000 and going to have it serviced next week or so. Is the cambelt due at 160K or sooner.
Just wondered what's advised at my mileage.

Hi Phil

Audi keep changing the rules on cambelt change intervals but I'd go with 5 years or 60,000 miles (whichever comes first) It's essential to change the idler roller and tensioner pulley at the same time and advisable to fit a new water pump.

Cheers Graham

Back