Chat Today

Raymie

I experienced my first mechanical failure while braking at a roundabout.

It felt like the front right wheel was coming off the car when I braked to stop at a roundabout. Car tugged suddenly to right and brake made a grinding sound.

Not had a decent look underneath yet but will check top mount spring and wheel bearing.

Similar happened to me a few times before, but usually it's stone chip stuck between the guard and brake pad. Makes horrendous metal-grinding noise, I've had even abs light triggered by it. Usually it get demolished by the pressure, but sometimes it lingers around a bit and causing headache.
Of course check your car first to make sure, it's not something else, as safety is priority.

I've had this time and was stone as above but do check thoroughly. Check control arms are solid on top while your in under the arches too

Ah ha, it’s the lower wishbone !
399122ccb898c70e3ba23e9c04ddb4d1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was the pulling to one side that gave the clue. Dodged a.crash there! Lucky in some ways. Good luck with repairs

Thanks. I’ll have to find some replacement ones.
Are they still available new do you know ?

As soon as I started reading this post I knew it was a wishbone failure, happened to me a couple of months ago.

That was mine, it was actually in two pieces
View attachment 94815
So did you replace with a new set or used set of wishbones ?
I remember watching a garage of dad video tutorial a few months ago on the replacement process so I hope it is within my DIY capabilities.

So did you replace with a new set or used set of wishbones ?
I remember watching a garage of dad video tutorial a few months ago on the replacement process so I hope it is within my DIY capabilities.
Replaced both with cast one's, it was a pig of a job removing and fitting the new ones

It was nothing like the video that garage of dad posted on YouTube.

1653057667390.png

These are cast but the description says they are for the 1.4 petrol. Don't know if there was actually any difference in petrol and Tdi suspension links.

Did you make a thread out of it? Would like to read about how it went.

Thanks. I’ll have to find some replacement ones.
Are they still available new do you know ?

Hi Raymie, if you're interested, I did a bit of a write up on here:

Arrgghhhh ! Half a day spent trying to insert new wishbone into hexagonal bush fitting without any 🥲 joy.

Has anyone else managed to do it the garage of dad way without removal of console and without renewing the „ silent bush / bearing „ ?

Are the stretch bolts for these still available? p.s. i hope you've bought some - its a one way trip :)

Back