Chat Too Old 😭

PlasticMac

United-Kingdom
A couple of days ago I received the renewal quote from LV. The TT is about the same as last time, but the A2 has increased by about £40! That's with 20 years of NCB🤔.
So, got on to Aleksandr and Sergei, to see what I could find. Well, Aviva came up with a good quote on both cars, close to last year's LV price, maybe a little less.
Before signing on the virtual dotted line, I went on Aviva's own site, to see if it came up similar quotes. Having gone through the data entry process, for the A2, (didn't get as far as the TT), I was I formed that due to my age, they could not offer insurance.
So back to Aleksandr and Sergei, accepted the Aviva quote, and I'm good to go for another year, no mention of age.
There's no obvious logic to insurance is there?
Mac.

Last edited:
You are well rid of LV! I pay less now for my ID3 with Aviva than any of the 1.2Tdis ever!

RAB

If you'd caused accidents in the past, that could be a reason I guess, but with 20+ years NCB on your side, doesn't really make much sense. With that attitude they may lose a lot off customers in the next few years. Glad to hear you're sorted for another year ✌

I switched to LV this year as it was the lowest quote from an insurer that I heard off and my A2 is modified. Year before was Sainsburys and prior to that many years with Adrian Flux. No accidents or claims over all these years. Heavy discounts for new customers was supposed to end at the start of this year but I suspect they find a way around that. So shopping around is now a yearly chore.

Bizarrely renewal of my other half's 1.4i this year with Halifax has dropped by 60 quid down to £136. No changes to the policy, same amount of NCB (>9 years) etc. etc. etc. . Not unhappy about this - it is almost as if the newcomer deal is now being offered to me after a few years with the same provider.

A couple of days ago I received the renewal quote from LV. The TT is about the same as last time, but the A2 has increased by about £40! That's with 20 years of NCB🤔.
So, got on to Aleksandr and Sergei, to see what I could find. Well, Aviva came up with a good quote on both cars, close to last year's LV price, maybe a little less.
Before signing on the virtual dotted line, I went on Aviva's own site, to see if it came up similar quotes. Having gone through the data entry process, for the A2, (didn't get as far as the TT), I was I formed that due to my age, they could not offer insurance.
So back to Aleksandr and Sergei, accepted the Aviva quote, and I'm good to go for another year, no mention of age.
There's no obvious logic to insurance is there?
Mac.
What is considered too old😳

Bizarrely renewal of my other half's 1.4i this year with Halifax has dropped by 60 quid down to £136. No changes to the policy, same amount of NCB (>9 years) etc. etc. etc. . Not unhappy about this - it is almost as if the newcomer deal is now being offered to me after a few years with the same provider.
A new law came out recently for exactly this reason, old and new customers must be offered same deal, whats unclear is do all prices rise to the level or fall??

Only logic i can apply to car insurance is generally their aint any!

A new law came out recently for exactly this reason, old and new customers must be offered same deal, whats unclear is do all prices rise to the level or fall??

Only logic i can apply to car insurance is generally their aint any!
On every form of insurance since said law was passed I’ve received renewals for the cost has dropped. So I’d say the latter however it may vary from insurer to insurer. I’ve found admiral excellent using their multi car plan.

I'm 75 years old and have never made an insurance claim. I have enough NCB to tick every insurer's maximum number of years box. Since the age of 70, premiums have risen annually. As an experiment this year, I sought insurance quotes for a 20 years younger me; all details the same apart from age. Every quote was £200 or more cheaper.

Last edited:
I'm 75 years old and have never made an insurance claim. I have enough NCB to tick every insurer's maximum number of years box. Since the age of 70,premiums have risen annually. As an experiment this year, I sought insurance quotes for a 20 years younger me; all details the same apart from age. Every quote was £200 or mored cheaper.
Ageism, or we're considered a soft touch perhaps?
Mac.

I'm 75 years old and have never made an insurance claim. I have enough NCB to tick every insurer's maximum number of years box. Since the age of 70, premiums have risen annually. As an experiment this year, I sought insurance quotes for a 20 years younger me; all details the same apart from age. Every quote was £200 or more cheaper.
My Dads a similar age with a worse driving record than yours but his insurance is similar to mine (we both have Mk2 ford Galaxy 1.9 tdi pd fun wagons lol) always use the comparison sites so far so good!

I paid about £180 this year

I’m paying QuiteMeHappy £17.65 per month for our A2 Fully Comp with Cover Plus ( higher level of Cover for Glass, European Cover, Belongings, Personal Accident, Zero Excess ) Protected NCD, Legal Protection. 66 Year Old with 56 Year Old Mrs as Named Driver.

Steve U

Don't get me started about LV.
I was involved in an accident last year on the A1, whilst towing our caravan with our A4, I was rear ended.
Now bear in mind the other driver hit me from behind at about 15mph and our car wasn't involved. The other party contacted LV, our then insurers, they paid him out, without even contacting us for details, photos etc. And he had disclosed previous damage to his car.
Stay well away.

Unfortunately insurance is about buying risk to these companies and they use statistics to assess risk and therefore what they're willing to charge for it - therefore given that beyond a certain age your statistical risk to the company of being the subject of a claim (note I didn't say claimant), this should not be a surprise.

Thank you for continuing to not being a statistic however! Long may that continue.

Unfortunately insurance is about buying risk to these companies and they use statistics to assess risk and therefore what they're willing to charge for it - therefore given that beyond a certain age your statistical risk to the company of being the subject of a claim (note I didn't say claimant), this should not be a surprise.

Thank you for continuing to not being a statistic however! Long may that continue.
Hello fellow oldies.
I renewed last August, having just reached 70.
I'm with NFU, and limit my mileage to 3000 miles, with a lifetime's NCB, having never been without
car and motorcycle insurance since 1969.
My last renewal was £218 including RAC roadside and recovery cover.
I needed breakdown response last July, due in the end to a faulty fuel injector, meaning a tow home.
I couldn't fault NFU's customer service at the time. They phoned me later that day to see if everything was ok.
I probably need to increase the mileage to 4-5000, but I don't know how much that impacts
the premium.
I really only use the A2 for regular 100 mile motorway round trips in the summer. Most of the time it does nothing,
except requiring regular attention for something!
I'll probably experience the same as Jeff Sutcliffe, with increasing premiums every year for over 70s.
Good luck.

I'm currently in receipt of a pension into which I began paying at the age of 26 and which has been paying me monthly since I was 63. The actuarial estimate was that I would die at the age of 77; 20 months to go before I start winning!

Back