Trepidation: I head for Dover on Sunday...

Rickmeister

A2OC Supporter
Well I'm heading to see family on Sunday, driving from Black Forest Germany to North Lincolnshire... I'm just wondering how this will go. Changed from P&O to DFDS due to sackings and possible service disruption. Will I get off the ferry actually in Dover, or will it be a one way special to Rwanda? Do I apply for food and fuel coupons before I leave France or when I arrive? Will I have to tell lies and say that no one told me to drive on the left side of the road even though I only spent 9 mins on the right side? Does the UK look like a Reece_Mogg 16th century theme park? Do you have electricity? Will my red passport still work?

It's quite an adventure.

I hope to meet a couple of members en route north when I do my AT Santa impression dropping a bumper and CD changer off....

Oh, I have a bed in the car of the potential M20 truck-fest campsite. I genuinely have no idea ....

If you stay on the right at the roundabout joining the A2 leaving Dover you'll rapidly come to the back of a 20 mile traffic jam of HGVs all trying to reverse away from the port. You will also probably encounter spreaders of fake news dressed in Police uniforms all telling you that you're going the wrong way. Ignore them - they are there to spread rumour and create confusion. Once you hit that, good luck ... and please report back.

( :) )

Morning Rick,

I’m in Dover over the weekend and it would be nice to finally meet up over a coffee. If you do get stuck this side of your crossing I can provide a bedroom for you which is surely better than camping on the M20, that said you should be ok this side. On your return it might be worth looking into the coastal routes to Dover, takes a little longer but that’s how most usually navigate when the M2/M20 are locked.

I'll let you know how my journey goes tomorrow but honestly cannot see your journey being hindered leaving the Port heading away from Kent.

I’ll also be in Leicestershire as of Monday evening which isn’t far from Lincolnshire either, possibly another opportunity to meet up.

PM me to let me know you’re expected arrival time Sir.

Kind regards,

Tom

Well I'm heading to see family on Sunday, driving from Black Forest Germany to North Lincolnshire... I'm just wondering how this will go. Changed from P&O to DFDS due to sackings and possible service disruption. Will I get off the ferry actually in Dover, or will it be a one way special to Rwanda? Do I apply for food and fuel coupons before I leave France or when I arrive? Will I have to tell lies and say that no one told me to drive on the left side of the road even though I only spent 9 mins on the right side? Does the UK look like a Reece_Mogg 16th century theme park? Do you have electricity? Will my red passport still work?

It's quite an adventure.

I hope to meet a couple of members en route north when I do my AT Santa impression dropping a bumper and CD changer off....

Oh, I have a bed in the car of the potential M20 truck-fest campsite. I genuinely have no idea ....
Hi Rick,
I have included this as an example route , I’m near sleaford although you’ve probably done your own ,
I would avoid coming via A17 until north of Sutton Bridge as big delays due to painting /repair works(1hr delays likely )
I use the M11/A14 /A1 route daily & all Clear of road works
as of last night diesel still available at BP in sleaford services £1.79 /lts
B5B5DF43-6190-447F-AB95-B2825E2CEB2E.png

Hope that helps
Keith.

Well, it all went swimmingly. Spent the night VW Caddy camping in a French truck stop where the highlight was a bag of chips and two tins of cheap lager... Breakfast of my own granola and yoghurt in the warm French sunshine. 2 hrs to Calais, tanked with diesel and straight on the boat, no fuss.

First stop, bumper in Folkstone, second stop, brake cables in Bedford, thrid stop, CD changer in Leicester, fourth stop, my mums in North Lincs.

Nice to meet the members and have a little chat but it's also nice to stop!

Cables out in the UK post this week....

Well, it all went swimmingly. Spent the night VW Caddy camping in a French truck stop where the highlight was a bag of chips and two tins of cheap lager... Breakfast of my own granola and yoghurt in the warm French sunshine. 2 hrs to Calais, tanked with diesel and straight on the boat, no fuss.

First stop, bumper in Folkstone, second stop, brake cables in Bedford, thrid stop, CD changer in Leicester, fourth stop, my mums in North Lincs.

Nice to meet the members and have a little chat but it's also nice to stop!

Cables out in the UK post this week....
Glad it was a good run.

This will be my Saturday

View attachment 93459

Looking at your route, you will be passing v close to me (Mersch, Luxembourg) but, sadly, I will be leaving to travel to Hockenheim for a race meeting that morning ....... typical !!!

Hoping your return trip goes ok, once you have managed to escape the Island & don't forget (as I'm sure you know) that fuel is v. cheap in Luxembourg & the price is gov't controlled so the same price at all stations, so no need to hunt around for a 'deal' here !!

Good prices on alcohol & cigarettes here as well, though not gov't controlled & main motorway fue stations are more expensive than the off motorway shopping centres !!

Gute Fahrt nach Hause & vielleicht können wir uns das nächste Mal treffen, wenn du es tust ??

Martin H

I avoided Dover by sailing from Newhaven to Dieppe. Longer crossing but much shorter journey to SW France and price about the same as Dover-Calais. First time abroad with the ID3. Relaxing journey with two recharges en route.

RAB

Looking at your route, you will be passing v close to me (Mersch, Luxembourg) but, sadly, I will be leaving to travel to Hockenheim for a race meeting that morning ....... typical !!!

Hoping your return trip goes ok, once you have managed to escape the Island & don't forget (as I'm sure you know) that fuel is v. cheap in Luxembourg & the price is gov't controlled so the same price at all stations, so no need to hunt around for a 'deal' here !!

Good prices on alcohol & cigarettes here as well, though not gov't controlled & main motorway fue stations are more expensive than the off motorway shopping centres !!

Gute Fahrt nach Hause & vielleicht können wir uns das nächste Mal treffen, wenn du es tust ??

Martin H
Thanks Martin... Luxembourg is indeed my fuel stop. Arlon junction to Steinfort and the station 100m inside Luxembourg.... avoid the service station queues!

Thanks Martin... Luxembourg is indeed my fuel stop. Arlon junction to Steinfort and the station 100m inside Luxembourg.... avoid the service station queues!
Know it well !
Buy some Luxembourgish wine while you are there ... Auxerrois white is my favourite .... great with fish or chicken !!

Safe journey & maybe meet up next time you pass through our great little country !!

MartinH

Back