Trip to meet Timmus

Brennybear

As someone who has very little mechanical or electrical experience of cars I just wanted to post this. For those members who have not yet availed themselves of Tom's services yet, what the experience was like yesterday. In a word 'brilliant'. I learned more about my A2 1.4 tdi in 3 hours than the last 2 months of research. Tom has to be the most knowledgeable person on A2 electronics in the world. He diagnosed several faults and fixed them on the spot, did little upgrades to central locking (bleeps when fully locked now),set mpg on my meagre display (non DIS). He did the drivers side door strap with the upgraded version available through Paul, fitted my Concert radio/cd unit and tidied up the wiring behind. He also diagnosed that I need the EGR valve re-installing after my cars remap(previous owner) as it needs the anti shudder part of the EGR - stops engine over-running and is a safety mechanism for if the turbo fails evidently. If anyone has an older EGR valve for a 2001 1.4 tdi I am in the market (must be the one that is combined with the anti - judder/shudder bit. Also need an engine temperature sensor which will be fitted on my next trip along with the addition cruise control, for which Tom provides all the parts. Oh, he's going to do me new key next time as well. Some other simple things were enabled via his laptop - anti hijack locking was enabled. Tom also explained calibration of various displays such as temperature, speed and revs and checked these were all correct.
All this in 3 hours. I left with music in my car and renewed confidence in my recent purchase, plus a shopping list for future upgrades. If you are able to make the journey for any of Tom's services you will not be disappointed.

I have a spare anti shudder valve here if you want it if you current EGR Valve is still ok.

£5 plus postage and I’ll have it in the post in the morning.

Kind regards,

Tom

Top chap indeed and of to see him monday after work as we could not get to him yesterday due to m6 north hold up, was telling a gentleman today in derbyshire who i purchased sports seats from about tom and his knowledge of the A2 and i am sure he will be in touch with TIMMUS.

I have a spare anti shudder valve here if you want it if you current EGR Valve is still ok.

£5 plus postage and I’ll have it in the post in the morning.

Kind regards,

Tom
Hi Tom,

Is it the integrated EGR and ASV from the AMF engine, or the separate electric ASV from the BHC engine? @Brennybear is looking for the former.

Cheers,

Tom

Hello Tom,

It is the ASV from my AMF engine. The black plastic item that bolts onto the EGR Valve. I removed it from a spare I had which was sent to Paul to enact a diet.

It works perfectly and can be sent out to @Brennybear soon as he responds.

Kind regards,

Tom

Hi Tom,

Yes the black plastic ASV which screws (2 small bolts) onto the side of the EGR Valve. I don’t have the actual EGR Valve now as I gave it to Paul for his stock as I no longer needed it. I only removed the ASV as it wouldn’t fit into the packaging I had to hand.

If this is any help then let me know as I could drop it off at the local Hermes shop before we all head out for the day.

Kind regards,

Tom

Yes the black plastic ASV which screws (2 small bolts) onto the side of the EGR Valve.
OK, understood, thank you. What you're describing isn't the anti-shudder valve, but the vacuum actuator that operates the anti-shudder valve. @Brennybear needs the actual ASV/EGR assembly, along with its vacuum actuator.

Thanks Tom. :)

Tom

OK, understood, thank you. What you're describing isn't the anti-shudder valve, but the vacuum actuator that operates the anti-shudder valve. @Brennybear needs the actual ASV/EGR assembly, along with its vacuum actuator.

Tom

Oh, understood sorry Tom. You known me, always trying to help out but not understanding what I’m on about.

I’ll stick to counting how many left socks I have from now on. Surely I can’t get that wrong.

Catch up soon.

Kind regards,

Tom

Tom
Tom, Sent you PM asking if I can bring the A2 to you sometime to Plug it in and Diagnose the Power Steering Fault please ?

Steve U

Thanks everyone for trying to resolve the valve issue, hopefully someone out there will have the one I need to do an exchange with Paul then get Tom to fit it on my next visit
Regards
Brendan

Tom, Sent you PM asking if I can bring the A2 to you sometime to Plug it in and Diagnose the Power Steering Fault please ?

Steve U
Hi Steve,

I received it, thank you. Apologies for the delay in replying; I've been struggling to do the secretary part of my job recently due to the number of A2s arriving on my driveway. Rest assured, to anyone who's awaiting a reply, I will be in touch. Thanks for your patience. :)

Tom

OK Ta. Managing for now, as still Working From Home with a Laptop. Free all this week, at the moment, and can be there in about 30 minutes. Although I don’t actually know exactly where you are.

Starting to ease back in to Working on Site beginning of next week. Then Night Shifts Wednesday to Friday. Not sure how that will go after not working any Night Shifts since early March !

Regards,

Steve U

Back