Turbo oil weep.

Ritchtea

Hi everyone.

Just done the annual oil and filters. Iv owned Bluey 3years now (tdi90 currently on 92k miles). Its the 3rd service iv done and each time the rear of the engine is oily, I can see its from the turbo. Iv cleaned best I can each year and then conveniently forgotten about it!!
It worried me at first but iv come to accept its just how it is? my calibrated leak!? Check dipstick every month and generally top up every quarter. Usually used what's left from a 5 litre container by the time i'm getting around to doing a service again (so not using much through the year).
Am I right in being ok with this or should I be concerned? i.e. its giving me all the warnings it can?
Is any one else's the same?
N.b. there has always been a smear of oil in the hose from turbo to intercooler as well?

Your thoughts are appreciated?
Lee.

Answering myself I know!?!? just wanted to add it runs fine plenty of power and in 3 yrs no faults or limp home mode ect. Its the good running and reliability that's stopped me tinkering? "if it aint broke".
Any one have any experience or thoughts on this?
Lee

There's a small oil feed connection at the top and a larger oil return flexi underneath. Check both connections on the turbo and the return connection to the block (and possibly the flexi).

RAB

Thanks Rab.
Had a look today, Turbo is fine. Its actually from the EGR Vv, assuming iv followed on here correctly (turbo, egr Vv then anti shunt Vv) There's wet (oil) on the flat surface directly under the dome of the EGR. Tried tightening up everything in sight, and things not in sight!!! all hose connections ok.
Not too worried now! but egr not as it should be?! stuck out of position maybe?
may just have to visit stealth and have it removed and chipped at same time :)

My turbo has been weeping oil for quite a while now - I just had to put 1litre of oil in the car this week in fact. However, I've also had oil leaks coming from the EGR assembly, the rocker cover and also the "lift pump" assembly (which was badly botched by Audi and had to be re-done). All of those have been cured by Tony at A2 Cars, and my next plan is to replace the turbo with a refurbished one - this will be happening soon.

Thanks Dan.

Its reassuring that they still run on and on despite little leaks or problems. Thanks.
Oh for an A2 cars or stealth up North! your blessed down there.

Turbo is fine.

Unfortunately, I doubt it. That's the most likely source of the oil and it will be leaking from the centre of the turbo out through the compressor side. If you take off the bottom hose from the intercooler, you will probably find that it is full of oil. If the turbo blades contact the casing, that will be curtains for the turbo. Repairing the turbo before this stage is reached will be much cheaper!

RAB

Last edited by a moderator:
Leaking turbo seals can also allow turbo boost pressure to escape down the oil drain tube and increase pressure in the cylinder block. This in turn can cause engine gaskets and seals to weep if the breather system can't cope.

Cheers Spike

Rab, Spike.

Checked the bottom hose from the intercooler and it has a coating of oil but not full or even dripping?
One thing I always notice is on the first start up of the day it stinks! Much like a DPF equipped motor on regen!!! only for 1-2min then fine.
Do you recon i'm getting a glug of leaked turbo oil on starting??
Lee.

Blue smoke would indicate oil. Check the EGR air inlet from the intercooler for any oil coating. It would take a few minutes for the catalyst to start working.

RAB

Just to bump this and add since posting at 92k in 15 its now at 133k and still going strong? Takes 3glugs of oil every other month. Only been caught by the low alarm once. Doesn't seam to have gotten any worse in 6yrs and 50k so will plod along, just as bluey seams to!!!

Personally I would start at the top with checking the rocker cover gasket. I had a similar problem, brought to my attention by spots of oil on the drive, which upon inspection I thought was the Turbo leaking. It turned out to be the rocker cover gasket.

Just to bump this and add since posting at 92k in 15 its now at 133k and still going strong? Takes 3glugs of oil every other month. Only been caught by the low alarm once. Doesn't seam to have gotten any worse in 6yrs and 50k so will plod along, just as bluey seams to!!!

Thanks, some useful stuff. I'm chasing an oil leak somewhere. I fixed minor leaks on the engine cover and injector harness. I think the sump was leaking and that will be fixed too. But still looking up the RH side of the engine and thinking, it's wet up there!

Plenty of checks to do around the turbo thank you.

Further Bump, Dec2020 166k and still plodding on, in fact seams to use less oil that before. This worries me as its never missed a beat and never given me any V vane turbo troubles which iv put down to its calibrated leak!?
Watch it throw its guts out the day the leak self seals??

Back