Turbo to intercooler clamp

George Hogg

A2OC Donor
I’ve been discussing this with @audifan.
These brackets have a built in stress raiser, the rib that runs along the mounting plate section could have radiused usefully but it’s a very hard change of section. They are a common failure
I’m going to make up a temp repair piece for Frank out of sheet aluminium but has anyone got anywhere with sourcing a replacement?

George

PS thanks Graham for the first two photos there!

Attachments

• 36F24A2D-053D-4407-962D-ECDCBF3D8542.jpeg
    36F24A2D-053D-4407-962D-ECDCBF3D8542.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 76
  • 3203BA16-ACE8-4690-933E-69CAAB6D1A5A.jpeg
    3203BA16-ACE8-4690-933E-69CAAB6D1A5A.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 73
  • 1356CF27-1882-4AE8-BF87-B35C84A08A46.jpeg
    1356CF27-1882-4AE8-BF87-B35C84A08A46.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 72
Combination of temperature cycling hot and cold, vibration, worn pendulum mount and the clamp not being disconnected prior to dropping the engine to replace the cam belt and water pump all take their toll on the plastic part..

Bet most are now broken, then the intercooler end cap takes the strain and cracks open.

As for replacements, my last one came from Latvia who now have no stock.....

Combination of temperature cycling hot and cold, vibration, worn pendulum mount and the clamp not being disconnected prior to dropping the engine to replace the cam belt and water pump all take their toll on the plastic part..

Bet most are now broken, then the intercooler end cap takes the strain and cracks open.

As for replacements, my last one came from Latvia who now have no stock.....
Dad and I managed to mend/reinforce (with some machined steel) the one on Tonka when we replaced the intercooler. No doubt in my mind that when replacing an intercooler, this part is usually broken prior.

When you consider just how many AMF, BHC and ATL engined cars were made not to mention the same engines in other VAG cars it is a bit disappointing that these brackets are NLA. Lets hope Audi Tradition can have a batch remade.

The ANY engine set up is different with I think 2 brackets used.

if anyone as the broken parts that they can send me I'm up for CADing it and see what a 3D printed version looks and performs like

I don't have the time ATM to take the one off my own A2

Cheers,
Paul

3D printing could be the answer provided there is strength and the layers do not delaminate in use as quite a complicated shape.

There’s a bit of a search for a broken one Paul. I don’t have a spare broken one at the moment as I’m strapping them to get them back into use.
It definitely needs a modified design to get rid of that built in stress raiser

it may be a bit of a hybride design to avoid the layer sereration issue inherant in 3D printing
The mounting may well be a peice of alloy angle that a 3D printed clamp is bolted too, this is from the pictures in an earlier post in this thread, will be easier to weight up once I have the actual part in my hand

Is it the same bracket on the AMF / BHC and ATL engines ?
Paul

Hi Paul, yes the same bracket is fitted to all 1.4 tdi engines. Same location on the sump pan and the same clamping area on the turbo air pipe regardless if it is the metal or plastic air pipe.

Ideally to echo the original bracket there is a quick release to unclamp the air pipe to allow the engine to be dropped for cam belt change.

Hi Paul, yes the same bracket is fitted to all 1.4 tdi engines. Same location on the sump pan and the same clamping area on the turbo air pipe regardless if it is the metal or plastic air pipe.

Ideally to echo the original bracket there is a quick release to unclamp the air pipe to allow the engine to be dropped for cam belt change.
the quick release will not be the same, likely a clamp in two halves nut and bolted together with two bolts, one on either side of the clamp. It's not like the quick release needs to be used very often, and to make that type of latch rules out 3D printing

Paul

@A2Steve @Clackers @Ami either of you guys have one ? I'm happy to return it if its a usable one, just needs to be basically all there so I can measure the sizes, angles etc
I will have a look in my warehouse tomorrow Paul, If I find one will send you a picture, I recall having the complete pipe from turbo to intercooler, but will check.

Hi Paul a hybrid clamp sounds like a plan. We’ll get a sample for you but it is likely, almost certain, to be broken.

George

Reactions: Ami
I'm sure I have one that I fixed using araldite and small Stanley knife type blades to bridge the snapped bits.
It worked really well, I'll have a look later.

Back