Tyre not holding air

Pinkythelabrat

A2OC Donor
Looking for advice about a silly idea I had.

I refurbished the set of TT alloys a while back but the interior face of the bead wasn't apparently in very good nick either and one wasn't holding air well. The local butchers used a wire brush to smooth it and chipped the heck out of the edge - also the tyres were splitting - so I had them peeled and will paint them inside and out again.

And so the silly notion.

I put my old wrecked SE wheels on but one of them isn't even holding air for a day. Just the one that was damaged before and prompted its replacement. I only need them to be okay for a couple of weeks so I was considering putting a bead of silicone around the tyre edges to keep air in - is that silly?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes! Tyres and brakes are what keeps you from ending up in a ditch. Come and borrow one of my many wheels to keep you running but don’t take unnecessary risks with safety items. Sunday sermon ends

A very definite no to a bead of silicone.

It sounds like it is too far gone but in these cases I try a decent can of tyre puncture repair goo.

That can often help but you would need to make sure that you rotate the wheels well after putting it in so it gets to the edges.

Steve B

Thanks fellas.

The tyre is nearly new but the alloy is corroded. The powder coat that is left is allowing air to get under and out and the pressure on the bead isn't holding it.

I've popped to a local tyre guy and he's going to wire brush and put on the rubber paste. Should hold it a couple of weeks and save me pumping it up before every journey!

Just a silly thought.

Thanks for the kind offer James - I've got a spare but it's a skinny so I always have the 50mph option. thanks for the thought.

Ps. This'll motivate me to finish the TT alloys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back