Unfinished project

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone, My name is Chrifi.
This is my first post on this wonderful forum, however I have been an avid follower and reader on this forum for the past 2 years, and I feel like I know some of the members personally.
I havent posted anything on here before, as I was waiting for my car to be completed, before writing about my journey to create my perfect a2, a project that I poured my heart and soul into, and a substantial chunk of money. unfortunately things haven't panned out as I'd hoped.
My story so far
I stumbled across this forum by complete fluke, 2 months before I purchased my first a2 in 2016. Up until this point I didnt know a thing about these cars, nor did I have any interest in ever owning one. However after seeing what some of the members managed to achieve with their cars,( Steve birchals ) car in particular was a huge inspiration, as well as many others, and with the wealth of information about all the possible upgrades, I become hooked on the site.
And what started off as a bit of morning reading with my coffee, Turned into essential bedtime reading, and every possible moment during the day. In the next few weeks I probably read hundreds of posts, from suspension to double din conversions, I found it so interesting, that I even started reading German and Dutch forums, mainly for suspension upgrades. by this point I was itching to own an a2, but it made no sense to purchase one as I already owned a car. So I decided to buy one for my sister who just passed her driving test. I found what looked like a good example on eBay (fsi se) put in a bid, and got it for £950. When I went to pick the car up, I was really impressed with the cosmetic and mechanical condition of the car, but what impressed me even more was the drive back from Coventry to London. I couldn't believe that a 15 year old car can feel this responsive and handle this well, less impressed when I arrived in London though, as the quality of the roads here are truly atrocious.
Anyway, my sister hated the car!! I guess she was too young to appreciate the finer things in life. So I decided to keep it as a second car for occasional driving. The car continued to impress me the more I drove it. Soon enough the wife noticed that I wasn't driving the Kia so much, so she claimed full ownership of it, and I was left driving the a2 full time (happy days). By this point I was convinced that the a2 was the car for me. And the search started for a keeper a2 that would be worth ploughing my money into.
In July 2016 after about 3 months of searching, the perfect car for me was advertised on eBay.
Fsi sport dolphin grey, exactly the colour I wanted, fully loaded, OSS, black heated leather seats, full electric windows, and 39k miles. The auction reached a bid of £3300 but didn't sell as it was on reserve. I contacted the seller straight away to find out how much he wanted for the car, £4500 was his asking price, I would have paid that much in all honesty, as I haven't seen an example that good for sale in 3 months of searching, but after a bit of negotiating we settled on £3800. And the seller offered to drive the car from Edinburgh to London for petrol money, which gave me a lot of assurance about the condition of this car. A few days later I was the proud owner of this car.
IMG_0663.JPG
IMG_0662.JPG

now I'm not a vain person by any stretch of the imagination, but I just could not help looking at the reflection of this car when driving past a glass building, or give it an admiring backward glance as I'm walking away from It, I really loved this car!! It made feel uniquely special.
Driving this car was definitely a step up in terms of engine performance, it felt much faster much quieter and generally more capable than the se, however I still missed the lighter steering and more forgiving ride of the se on 16 wheels. The ride on the sport was intolerable, and the first upgrade I did on this car was a new set of tyres, Dunlop sport max soft compound tyres, they really made a marked difference to the ride comfort.
Next I contacted Tony of a2 cars Milton Keynes, may he rest in peace. after reading all the glowing reviews and positive feedback from members, he was the only garage I was going to trust with my car. I had many lengthy phone conversations with Tony about the possible upgrades, including a 6 speed gearbox. I booked my car with Tony for a complete suspension overhaul, as well as many other upgrades, the car was booked for march 2017. In the meantime I went on a frenzied spending spree for the car, it was round about Christmas time, so it just felt right !!
By the time had come to take my car to Tony, I had spent close to £5k on parts.
Koni fsd, new batch 2017 no corrosion issues.
Weitec springs.
Cast iron control arms.
H&r front and rear anti roll bar, As well as many other suspension items.
Brand new rnse mk2 193b version, took ages to source.
Over £1k of Hi fi items.
Brand new s line steering wheel.
There's more… but you get the idea, this was a no expense spared project.
IMG_0647.JPG
IMG_0651.JPG
IMG_0653.JPG
IMG_0656.JPG
IMG_0659.JPG

Car was dropped off to Tony in march 2017, all of the mechanical work was completed prior to Tony's unfortunate health condition.
I wasn't really aware of the extent of the seriousness of Tony's condition, as whenever I spoke to him on the phone, he sounded very upbeat and positive. I assumed that everything was fine, and that eventually Tony would be fit enough to complete the work on my car.
As many of you are probably aware, Tony sadly passed away earlier this year.
A special mention to Petra (Tony's wife) who despite her tragic loss and the extremely difficult time she must have been going through, is still managed to arrange to have the car delivered to me, along with all the parts that weren't installed.
I've hardly driven the car since I received it in May. The car has been mainly parked outside my house for the last 3 months, and it really deserves more. Some personal stuff has taken precedence over the completion of this project, plus my heart is no longer in it.
Hopefully a new owner will carry on from where I left off, and give this car the care it deserves.
A copy of the final invoice, that might give some indication to the extensive amount of work that was done on this car.
IMG_0890.JPG

I will posting the car on the sale section, with full details of all the work Performed as well as all the parts that will be included with the sale in the next couple of days.
Thank you all for bearing with me with my long winded story.

Hi Chrifi,

Having previously discussed completing this project for you, it's a shame to hear you're now looking to sell it. You've clearly invested heavily in it, so it seems a shame that you'll never really get to enjoy the fruits of your efforts. However, if you need my assistance/advice, you know where to find me.

As an aside, I am absolutely amazed to see a bill for just shy of £20 to enable the 'beep-on-lock' feature. With the laptop already plugged into the car to do a diagnostic scan, this job takes less than 20 seconds. If I'd been paid £20 for every time I've enabled this feature for club members, I'd have paid off a good chunk of my mortgage. It's the sort of thing that I'm happy to do free of charge - I couldn't sleep at night if I charged someone £1 per second.

Cheers,

Tom

As an aside, I am absolutely amazed to see a bill for just shy of £20 to enable the 'beep-on-lock' feature. With the laptop already plugged into the car to do a diagnostic scan, this job takes less than 20 seconds. If I'd been paid £20 for every time I've enabled this feature for club members, I'd have paid off a good chunk of my mortgage. It's the sort of thing that I'm happy to do free of charge - I couldn't sleep at night if I charged someone £1 per second.

LOL - how much to turn it off ;)

Hi Chrifi
If you want to get project finished
Why not delivery it to WOM Automotive
Unit 3, Heybridge Works, Lower Tean, Stoke-on-Trent ST10 4LN
01538 807 708

I am sure between Rob and Timmus you could get your project completed
And delivery would be about £200 each way with
www.shiply.com

Having had work done at A2 Cars I mix feeling about them but in defence of Tony you are not comparing like with like. Tony had a full time business to run including rent of premises, business rates (which is killing a lot of small companies), insurance, employer's NI, allowance for sickness, holidays and training, accountants fees, receptionist, apprentices pay and time to supervise, recruitment fees, advertising, web services, tools and equipment for doing a full range of task, capital costs of fitting out the premises, telecomms, water, gas and electricity bills, time to give quotes and discuss potential work, etc etc.

If you want a comparison then compare with say an Audi dealership who I guess would charge £20 just to drive it into the service bay ;)

I must admit the total bill looks eye watering.

I'd agree with others, finish the project, enjoy your pride and joy and come to a social or two. WOM would be my choice too to complete the work.

I acknowledge that life may have moved on and that other priorities may have surfaced, but you have invested heavily and have a grand motor by the sound of it. The way you have written your post tells me how much affinity you have with the A2, even today, the passion simply lifts off the page. I genuinely believe you'll regret parting with it in the long-term, many do, I did, I'd urge you to think long and hard before putting it up for sale.

Whatever you elect to do, my very best wishes.

...you are not comparing like with like. Tony had a full time business to run...

Just as I do. Admittedly, my overheads aren't anywhere near as high, but that's because of the choices I've made; I own my premises, don't employ anyone other than myself, don't have a website, etc. But I need to pay my insurance, and my accountant, and my telecomms/electricity bill, and myself when I'm on holiday, etc. I spend vast amounts of time quoting and discussing potential work (some of which happens and some doesn't). I've also had the capital costs of fitting out my base such that it can do the things I need it to. The range of services that I provide on A2s generally excludes mechanical stuff, meaning I have a marginally smaller collection of car-specific tools compared to a fully kitted-out garage, but instead I have all the necessary equipment to run the other arm of my business, making pro audio systems. The lack of a shiny business facade doesn't infer illegitimacy.

I accept it's personal choice, and I see your point about drawing comparisons with Audi dealerships, but I could never charge someone that kind of money for what amounts to flicking a switch, whether or not the customer is aware of the simplicity of the job.

Apologies for the thread swerve.

Cheers,

Tom

Last edited:
Thank you to everyone for you kind wishes, and encouragement to keep the car. However my decision to sell the car is a lifestyle choice, as I'm shedding a lot of baggage from my life, and the car just happens to be part of the clear out.
Also I think I may have given the impression that the car is in bits, it's not. It's perfectly drivable, in fact it's had an MOT 2 months ago with no advisories whatsoever.
When I say incomplete, I mean there are a few jobs that need to be sorted. But it can all be done in a days work, for someone mechanicaly competent.
All will be clear when the car is posted for sale.
Thank you all

Thank you to everyone for you kind wishes, and encouragement to keep the car. However my decision to sell the car is a lifestyle choice, as I'm shedding a lot of baggage from my life, and the car just happens to be part of the clear out.
Also I think I may have given the impression that the car is in bits, it's not. It's perfectly drivable, in fact it's had an MOT 2 months ago with no advisories whatsoever.
When I say incomplete, I mean there are a few jobs that need to be sorted. But it can all be done in a days work, for someone mechanicaly competent.
All will be clear when the car is posted for sale.
Thank you all

In which case I think you're probably better off calling it "Project" ..., as all my A2s are in a similar position really :) ie - Perfectly drivable, just need a bit of tweeking to get them up to the standard we want, oh wait there's this little add on that would work ... :)

I'm particularly interested in your stereo install. Who did that one, how much manufacturing of parts was required and how does it sound given the relatively small space available.

Understood that your having a lifestyle change and shedding a lot of baggage, i think a lot of us could learn from that for peace of mind.

You've got me and a few others intrigued i'm sure about your car so can't wait to see pics of it advertised on here. All the the best with the sale when it happens. Could i ask where you bought the Ceramic pads from? Cheers Mark.

Just as I do. ................. I accept it's personal choice, and I see your point about drawing comparisons with Audi dealerships, but I could never charge someone that kind of money for what amounts to flicking a switch, whether or not the customer is aware of the simplicity of the job......................

Tom, sorry but I got the impression your business is a "hobby business". I know from the forum your customers are extremely pleased with your work and if you are happy then that's fine. It is often about perceptions. I worked for myself for 15 years and sometimes got criticised for over-delivering which is a bit like under-charging. I think we should stop this conversation as it's a thread swerve.

Who ever buys Vav Vroom's car, it looks like they will get quite a package. Steve Birchall sold his A2 for £10k I recall, which show people will pay good money if they like the product. "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder" is an apt expression.

In which case I think you're probably better off calling it "Project" ..., as all my A2s are in a similar position really :) ie - Perfectly drivable, just need a bit of tweeking to get them up to the standard we want, oh wait there's this little add on that would work ... :)

I'm particularly interested in your stereo install. Who did that one, how much manufacturing of parts was required and how does it sound given the relatively small space available.
Hi mate
Bret is right, the stereo has not been installed.
This the complete set up.
Rainbow dl-c6.2 x2pairs of speakers.
Rainbow intel 8 active sub
Alpine px4 4 channel amp.
A mate of mine has the exact same set up in his golf, which is more or less a similar shape to the a2. And the sound is stellar. I like to think I'm a bit of an audiophile, as I've had quite a few quality installs in the past. And this set up is one of the best I've heard, provided the installation is done professionally, which leads me to my next point.
My installers of choice are Brian sounds who did quite a bit of work for me in the past, top quality installs at sensible prices.
I took the car to them not long after I bought, to try and work out the best way to install this system.
I'm sure you are already aware, that installing after market speakers on the a2 is a challenge, mainly due to the door latch being too close to the speaker housing. Their solution was to reinforce the Back of the door cards with glass fibre, custom build glass fibre speaker pods to go over the speaker magnets, and attach the whole unit to the back of the reinforced door cards.
There is ample space in the drivers footwell, for both amp and subwoofer. Personally I'd have the sub directly under the seat.
The amplifier is digital class D generates very little heat and draws little power, even at moderately high volume levels.
The reason I didn't do the install back then, is that I wanted the double din dashboard and rnse installed before the hi fi.
I hope that answers your question, and I strongly recommend Brian sounds if anyone is considering a proper hi fi install.

IMG_0892.JPG

IMG_0894.JPG
IMG_0897.JPG
IMG_0896.JPG

IMG_0892.JPG

Understood that your having a lifestyle change and shedding a lot of baggage, i think a lot of us could learn from that for peace of mind.

You've got me and a few others intrigued i'm sure about your car so can't wait to see pics of it advertised on here. All the the best with the sale when it happens. Could i ask where you bought the Ceramic pads from? Cheers Mark.
Hello friend
Life is a trip, and heavy luggage makes for an arduous journey. A philosophy I've only just recently acquired, and I'm looking forward to being a light traveller from now on.
As for your question about the ceramic discs.
I bought them from eurocarparts a while back.
In all honesty, first impressions with these pads wasn't great, they lack that initial bite that conventional pads have. however the do seem to improve the more you use them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back