VCDS & Airbag Control Unit coding question

miguel_e38

Hi guys,

I am the owner of an Audi A2 1.4 TDI 75hp from 2004, BHC engine code. Today I was tinkering with VCDS. Looking at the coding options available for the airbag control unit (8Z0 959 655 E) I see that my car has the coding "00102" according to the legend that VCDS shows, this would be a wrong coding for my car. My car does not have the switch to deactivate the passenger airbag but it does have side airbags (in the seats), so the coding should be (according to VCDS) the following: 01002. As I bought the car second-hand 3 years ago I don't know if the previous owner changed something in this control unit.

Captura.JPG

I tried the 00002 encoding but checking the control unit faults I get an error on the passenger airbag override switch, so this would mean that the VCDS legend is the opposite in this parameter. Could you check in one of your cars what is the correct programming for side airbags? I would not like them to be disabled in the event of an accident.

Also, if someone had a scrapped A2 that had head airbags, they would be interested in purchasing both airbags, wiring and brackets.

Regards.

Evening, I suspect your coding was originally correct as it should be 5 digit code and the sequence mentioned in the coding hints refer to where the ? is so the first ? relates to the key switch so is indeed correct to be 0 in your case.

The second ? relates to side airbags only (which yours has) hence the 1 in place of the ?

Hi guys,

I am the owner of an Audi A2 1.4 TDI 75hp from 2004, BHC engine code. Today I was tinkering with VCDS. Looking at the coding options available for the airbag control unit (8Z0 959 655 E) I see that my car has the coding "00102" according to the legend that VCDS shows, this would be a wrong coding for my car. My car does not have the switch to deactivate the passenger airbag but it does have side airbags (in the seats), so the coding should be (according to VCDS) the following: 01002. As I bought the car second-hand 3 years ago I don't know if the previous owner changed something in this control unit.

View attachment 71814

I tried the 00002 encoding but checking the control unit faults I get an error on the passenger airbag override switch, so this would mean that the VCDS legend is the opposite in this parameter. Could you check in one of your cars what is the correct programming for side airbags? I would not like them to be disabled in the event of an accident.

Also, if someone had a scrapped A2 that had head airbags, they would be interested in purchasing both airbags, wiring and brackets.

Regards.
I know little about this except to say I have a FSI with the airbag switch in the glove compartment and the VCDS Autoscan printout sat on my lap states coding 01102 under the Airbags report section.

I also have a FSI with no glovebox switch and its Autoscan report states Airbags coding 00102.

Over and out.

Andy

Last edited:
Evening,

Andy and Paul have just beaten me to it there whilst I was typing.

Your coding of 102 is correct for an A2 with only side (seats) and front airbags. When you changed to 1002 the fault you got was due to you not having the passenger airbag disable switch. Read the pop up dialogue box in more detail and you see why.

There aren't many different setting for the airbag module with you will have noticed when in the coding area.

All A2s (to my knowledge) should come with coding was 102 unless they have the following:

SideGuard (head) which would change the coding to 302

Passenger airbag disable switch which would be 1102 (or 1302 if you had SideGuard (head) as well).

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Tom

Last edited:
Thank you all very much for the quick responses. From what I see my problem is that I mixed the encoding positions "x" and "?".

Now I have it clear.

Kind regards and thanks again,

Miguel.

Good morning,

instead of opening a new one, I thought I can use this one.
I was at cleaning some fault codes.
Between them I did the airbag one.
I cleared that, later when I was driving two times, no prob came out.
At the third drive, the abs light come back again.

..weird enough, IMHO, the ASR button doesn't work anymore.Now when I drive my A2, if the air button was pushed, it doesn't remain light on.
before using Vcds it was working as due.

About the airbag light I leave the error message, seen earlier, before had cleared it.

1 Fault Found:
01217 - Side Airbag Igniter; Driver Side (N199)
32-10 - Resistance Too High - Intermittent

any suggestion?

Good morning,

instead of opening a new one, I thought I can use this one.
I was at cleaning some fault codes.
Between them I did the airbag one.
I cleared that, later when I was driving two times, no prob came out.
At the third drive, the abs light come back again.

..weird enough, IMHO, the ASR button doesn't work anymore.Now when I drive my A2, if the air button was pushed, it doesn't remain light on.
before using Vcds it was working as due.

About the airbag light I leave the error message, seen earlier, before had cleared it.

1 Fault Found:
01217 - Side Airbag Igniter; Driver Side (N199)
32-10 - Resistance Too High - Intermittent

any suggestion?

In this case, I will start checking the state of the battery of the car. Even (if possible) checking the earth cable in the engine bay, they are prone to fail due to corrosion between the cable and the terminal.

Also, not a bad idea to check the connector below the driver seat.
Regards,

Thanks for ur replay.
the battery is almost new.
no corrosion here, 2005 almost always parked in the garage.
I was thinking about the famous , under seat connectors..
Just to guess.

Back