VCDS disable traction control system (ASR)

Artsi_L

My A2's traction control. Instead of driving me from place to place - it drives me nuts.

There are times when I'd love to power my way thru a snow covered turn, or force myself thru a thick layer of fresh Scandinavian snowfall. With my A2's overly enthusiastic traction control, I am usually (literally) left behind to practise anger management in the warm glow of the yellow indicator lamp.

I wanna whip out my VCDS and code my troubles away. Anyone have this disabled intheir A2 ?

Interesting link:

Permanently and completely disable ESP/ASR on MkIV R32 for track use?

I am not sure, but have a look at channels 90 and 95.

I see them mentioned on some sites as being the ones that control it.

I THINK one is for ESP and the other is for ASR?

Worth a look perhaps?

Steve B

after this weekend, I say that turn it off as a reflex when you get in. Don't mess with ESP, it's faster with it on.
And I know of no-one who's turned it off. What tyres are you running? I'm using Hakka 8s on the Octavia and they're about as good as it's going to get... did you also already get the suspension checked over (kulmat)?

- Bret

ASR button disables ASR, doesn't disable EDS and doesn't disable ESP. To do those you need to pull fuse 40 or remove power to the yaw sensor. But then you also lose tacho on a petrol. And get error messages.

- Bret

I’m not going to pretend to know the difference. Pushing the button made it spin the wheels and drift like crazy in the snow. Pushing again and it really limited things down but at least it only went forward (very slowly). I assumed that was the point of the button.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes
With the button pressed you are bypassing the system that stops the wheels from spinning on loose or icy surfaces. The system cuts the engine power to stop the wheels from spinning.
If you have bypassed it the wheels will spin under hard acceleration or poor road traction such as ice, rain etc.
By NOT bypassing it in very slippery conditions the power is reduced every time the wheels spin.

Steve B

ESP = Electronic Stability Program

ASR = Anti-Slip Regulation same as TCS = Traction Control System

EDL = Electronic Differential Lock same as EDS = Elektronische DifferentialSperre

The ASR button only deactivate the TCS/ASR up to a speed of < 50 km/h.
The ESP is always active.

ASR reactivates automatically by:
- turning ignition Off/On or
- the speed exceeds 70 km/h (approx.) or
- the brake is activated

I would like to deactivate TCS with the button and keep it deactivated until the ignition is turned of. Seems impossible.
ESP shall of cause always be active.

The Smart car had something called a ‘Trust plug’ which connected to the car’s OBD port and turned off all ESP/ABS etc. Maybe something similar is available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

no, it's not, because the ESP / ABS block are all on the same fuse and they're also connected to the slip ring on the steering wheel. I.e. you'll always have errors, even with only the yaw sensor disconnected.

EDS works up to about 70 km/h, ASR will blink lights up to 90 or so. EDS won't blink a light, ASR will.

- Bret

Back