Votex Salvage!

Jellybean

A2OC Donor
Have a set of Votex skirts for Spud, and have started repairing 2 big splits in the front skirt. I have tried hot staples, and tried melting the 2 edges together, but this is some damn awkward plastic, and both failed. Therefore, I have drilled and stitched with copper wire, which has recovered the shape and really strengthened it.

So guys, best suggestions for glue, adhesive, or repair kit to make a decent job prior to filling?
ecc4c40f549495e9cef2df08cd9069b5.jpg
48b7b698aed4f4654ea2ffe168e8d768.jpg
0a36cdf38780f5af765511fd17add043.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

If I remember Ed China from Wheeler Dealers did a nice repair on a split nose cone on a BMW 8 series. Was a two part epoxy and glass fiber mat. Just can not remember the name of the stuff. Once repaired looked very good before he had it resprayed by a body shop.

May also be worth fitting them to the car temporarily to ensure the correct shape. Repair the outside, carefully remove and repair the inside and finish sanding both surfaces before paint.

West System is one of the gold standard makes for doing rowing boat repairs - I at one point was doing all the repairs at a couple of rowing clubs.

Unlike your polyester resin (Upol or similar from Halfords) where the main resin sets at a speed proportional to the amount of the pink catalyst toothpaste stuff added, WS needs to be accurately metered volumetrically Part 1 to part 2 (and there are at least 3 versions of part 2 with different 'going off' times in case of doing repairs in hot or cold weather) - you can get pump kits for this that dose the correct volumes of each per plunge. Get the volumes wrong and it will never set properly, but will leach brown sticky stuff forever more.

Secondly, instead of chopped strand GF mat (which is horrible stuff), consider buying woven glassfibre cloth - this comes in various grades (like any fabric) with varying degrees of coarseness from silk-like (25-30 grammes per square metre) to ordinary building cloth (120-200gsm). If you need it to be really rigid you can get some carbon fibre cloth (200gsm) or similar to add into the laminate. Finally, there is thickening powder - literally glass powder or silica that you mix in to make the resin into a paste for filling purposes. With all of these be aware that it will do horrible things to your lungs so take all sensible precautions.

I used to lay up a laminate of this on either a piece of alu foil or photocopy acetate. If cosmetically important or below the waterline the outermost surface would always be ultrafine cloth to give the smoothest texture. Cut all the pieces of cloth for the laminate (typically 2-3 layers of fine for the exterior surface followed by 2-3 layers of thicker cloth for the repair strength) using clean and dry good quality scissors. Then, put the first piece onto the foil / plastic surface and pour some mixed resin onto the centre of the cloth. Using wooden coffee stir-sticks I would then work the resin out to the edges in smooth movements fully wetting the cloth but eliminating all excess. Then lay on the second layer, possibly with the weave at a slight angle to the original, and again work the stick from inside to out to wet up the layer completely. Use the stick to add a bit of resin from the edge to the centre and repeat with the next layer. Once all layers added I would then also wet the area that the patch is going onto (having already cleaned, sanded and prepared this a suitable distance from the hole or crack being fixed). Using the "wet scissors" (a pair only used for cutting laminates), then cut the patch to a clean shape removing the uneven laminate edges (where there is excess resin, loose strands and uneven layers of cloth) then invert and lay the patch onto the surface, using gloved fingers or a teflon roller to apply pressure from the middle outwards to avoid bubbles or wrinkles. FInally, peel off the foil / acetate layer by hooking a corner and then peeling it back very closely on itself so as not to pull the laminate off the surface, and leave the patch in situ to polymerise in place.

Once fully set, it was then a case of sanding back using fine and finer papers, then using filler primer to bring up the surface and primer paint to cover over, then fine sanding until the surface was ready for top coat, but obviously less necessary on the reverse side.

If the photos above were a boat, I would assume that the break will never quite go back together perfectly again (unaligned strands of material in the edges, maybe crush damage etc.). In that instance, I would use a Dremel cutting disc to clean up the line of the break ; sand all the paint / gelcoat back 4-6 inches either side of the crack to give a clean surface to bond onto, and clamp the two halves together in such a way that they are properly aligned (sometimes this would involve lining up trim lines in the paintwork or other visual points of reference in the structure and building a jig to have something rigid on both sides that could then be adjusted until the two halves are true to each other). Then repair as above with internal and external reinforcement - the inside patch would have more strength in it (more layers of thicker cloth, probably carbon) ; the outer side would have more layers of the fine finishing cloth externally to give a better surface. Then obviously fill the surface, sand back, filler-prime etc. as above.

Back