Washer and wiper not working on demand, help!

2work

Well Known Member
United-Kingdom
Morning all,

The last 2 mornings I have had a problem with my wiper stalk not washing or wiping when pulled towards me. The wipers work on intermittent and speeds 1 and 2.

When first used in the morning I can wash and wipe for just a second then nothing.

Has anyone come across this fault before, I have searched the forum and not been able to find anything myself.

I can only guess it is a relay type problem or a contact problem within the wiper stalk itself.

I'd be very greatful if someone can help, if it is a stalk problem can someone give advice on how to remove it to replace it.

Thanks for your time.

Kind regards,

Tom

My TDI one Had simular problems when i first bought it, i tried the relay from my other A2 and earths but turned out to be the brushes in the motor worn out and sourced a replacement from A2steve which cured the problem

It would work on the low speeds anything faster it would hesitate or jam up and just stay stuck in place until i nudged it then it would start working again thow it got slower even with the engine running and applying an extra earth via jump leads..

Last edited:
Jigsaw,

Thank you for the speedy reply to my assistance request. I'll investigate the relay and earths. Just to clarify my problem as I didn't make it clear in the begining.

The wipers work when i push the stalk upwards on the first position (itnermittent), the second position (constant slow) and the third position (constant fast).

The problem is when I pull the stalk towards to me to wash the windscreen, I get no washers and no wipers.

The washer bottle is full and the wipers work in the upwards positions.

With the MOT due soon its something that must be repaired soonest and more importantly hanging my arm out of the window with a drinking bottle to wet the windscreen will only attract the wrong kind of attention.

Thanks for your time.

Kind regards,

Tom

Hi Tom,

Replacing the stalk involves removing a majority of the steering column parts that I removed when fitting cruise control. How much of that can you still see in your mind's eye?

The washer relay is located in the compartment beneath the passenger's feet. It is the tall black box at the very front of the compartment. By front, I mean closest to the front of the car.

I know I'm not just around the corner from you, but I have spares of both and would happily solve the issue for you.

Cheers,

Tom

Hi Tom,

Firstly I remember you removing the 2 screws behind the steering wheel to remove the airbag. Once the airbag is removed unbolt the steering wheel from the column. After the steering wheel is removed it all becomes a little vague. I guess I will be left with the 2 stalks, I think the indicator stalk was on top of the wiper stalk? I'd be happy to remove them but I'm very open to advice on how to do so. Once they are removed/replaced I assume its a reverse process to fit back together.

I'll wear surgical gloves when removing the airbag as I read somewhere that the airbag could activate due to static in the fingers?

As the wipers work on all the upward positions I assume the relay would be ok?

I'll order a replacement stalk today unless you have 1 to sell. I can send money to PayPal or bank transfer. PM if this is something you're interested in.

Kind regards,

Tom

Hi Tom,

Firstly I remember you removing the 2 screws behind the steering wheel to remove the airbag. Once the airbag is removed unbolt the steering wheel from the column. After the steering wheel is removed it all becomes a little vague. I guess I will be left with the 2 stalks, I think the indicator stalk was on top of the wiper stalk? I'd be happy to remove them but I'm very open to advice on how to do so. Once they are removed/replaced I assume its a reverse process to fit back together.

Correct. You'll need to remove the two Torx30 bolts on the back of the airbag. Then you'll need to remove the steering wheel, for which you'll need an M12 XZN bit (XZN is sometimes called triple-square and is erroneously referred to as spline).
You've then got to remove 5 Philips head screws in order to remove the black trim from around the steering column. Then you've got to remove the slip ring (careful! Make sure you don't rotate it too much). Then both stalks can be removed as one assembly using an H4 Allen bit. Separate the wiper stalk from the indicator stalk. You're then ready to start rebuilding with the replacement stalk.

As the wipers work on all the upward positions I assume the relay would be ok?

I'd be changing the wiper relay first because it's much, much easier. The fact that your windscreen washers work for a split second also suggests to me that the contact in the stalk is OK but the issue is with the relay. The relay controls the wash function as well as the wiper arm motor itself.

I'll order a replacement stalk today unless you have 1 to sell. I can send money to PayPal or bank transfer. PM if this is something you're interested in.

When is your MOT due? If you're willing to cover postage/packaging costs, then I'll happily send you a replacement stalk and relay. I'm happy for you to simply pay me for the part you use and return the other. Am I right in thinking you've got DIS and thus need a stalk with the buttons on the end?

Cheers,

Tom

Tom,

Yes I have DIS so will require the stalk with the buttons on the end. I'm happy to pay for both from you along with p&p. Let me know the price via text or PM. Please also let me know how to send the money to you.

Thanks for the assistance (again!).

Kind regadrs,

Tom

Yes I have DIS so will require the stalk with the buttons on the end. I'm happy to pay for both from you along with p&p. Let me know the price via text or PM. Please also let me know how to send the money to you.

Hi Tom,

Cool. I'll endeavour to get those items boxed up and posted to you either this evening or tomorrow morning. If you find you don't need the replacement stalk, I'd like to have it back, hence why I'd rather you didn't pay for it until you know whether you need it or not. :)

There is, of course, a possibility that the fault lies with neither the stalk nor the relay, but I doubt it. We can cross that bridge if we come to it.

Cheers,

Tom

Tom,

Perfect, sounds like a plan. I'll text you the address now.

Thanks again,

Tom

For information should anyone get this fault in the future:

I tried the relay change option but this did not resolve the problem, I was hoping this was the issue!

After changing the wiper stalk, which with great advice from Tom (Timmus) only took 30 minutes and I now have wash and wipe when I pull the wiper stalk towards me.

I'm very happy to no longer have to squirt water from my drink bottle whilst on the A46 morning and evening!.

Thanks for the input to getting this resolved.

Special thanks to Tom (Timmus).

Kind regards,

Tom

Instead of starting a new thread I thought I'll continue here as my latest fault is in conjunction with the initial problem.

After fitting the new wiper arm the washers worked perfectly when tested and still do.

The issue I now have is that the airbag and abs warning lights are illuminated. After searching threads on here I notice that it is normal for the airbag warningv light to illuminate and I'll have to get someone with VCDS to clear the fault. Is it normal for the abs warning light to be illuminated after removing the steering wheel or have I just been really unlucky and got another faul after repairing another.

Are there any VCDS experts near LE674DB (evenings) or LN59NB (working hours).

Kind regards,

Tom

Instead of starting a new thread I thought I'll continue here as my latest fault is in conjunction with the initial problem.

After fitting the new wiper arm the washers worked perfectly when tested and still do.

The issue I now have is that the airbag and abs warning lights are illuminated. After searching threads on here I notice that it is normal for the airbag warningv light to illuminate and I'll have to get someone with VCDS to clear the fault. Is it normal for the abs warning light to be illuminated after removing the steering wheel or have I just been really unlucky and got another faul after repairing another.

Are there any VCDS experts near LE674DB (evenings) or LN59NB (working hours).

Kind regards,

Tom

Hi Tom,

Yes the airbag light is probably duie to you disconnecting it to take the wheel off (did you switch on the ignition with the air bag disconnected? For your own peace of mind check that you have reconnected it, just to make sure (safety and all that) until you can get it scanned.

As for the ABS warning, I am not sure that this would normally come on just by removing the steering wheel and stalks, but it could be related, again the VCDS scan should tell you what has happened.

Lets see if this forum can keep up its great reputation for helpful and friendly members and we get a volunteer!

Steve B

Steve,

Thank you for the information and I will check that the airbag connection is actually conected, I dont recall turning the ignition when it was removed but you never know.

Jeff,

I have searched your location on your profile and will be more than will to travel the 36 miles to you, I'll first check the connection and recheck the brake fluid level and get back to you. Either way I think I'll be heading to you as the airbag warning will certainly require resetting.

Thanks for the help, input and offer.

Kind regards,

Tom

Jeff,

I have searched your location on your profile and will be more than will to travel the 36 miles to you, I'll first check the connection and recheck the brake fluid level and get back to you. Either way I think I'll be heading to you as the airbag warning will certainly require resetting.

Thanks for the help, input and offer.

Kind regards,

Tom

You are in good hands there Tom.

Steve B

Morning all,

After being booked in with Jeff this coming weekend to rectify my ABS and Airbag warning light I have taken my A2 to a gargae close to work. This is due to commuting 120 miles a day and started to get worried about the ABS not working should I require to brake hard during the commute.

The garage plugged in and found the ABS fault to be mechanical and linked to the steering alignment sensor. The fault would not clear after recalibrating the steering etcetera. The mechanic was stuck until I said lets remove the steering wheel to ensure all was correct after I replaced the new wiper arm.

The problem turned out to be that when I refitted the steering wheel I was out by 1 degree or 1 tooth from 'top dead centre' from the punch mark on the column.

The fault cleared after the steering wheel was fitted correctly. Note to self: Only have a go at repairs if you know exactly what you're doing and yes I'm off to Specsavers this weekend!

I must thank Steve B, Tom (Timmus) and Jeff (Mustang-Owner) for the information and assistance to get my washers and warnings corrected.

Thanks again,

Tom

Last edited:
A good news story Tom and thanks for sharing the resolution which will also help the wider community.

Glad it was a relatively inexpensive fix for you.

Morning all,

After being booked in with Jeff this coming weekend to rectify my ABS and Airbag warning light I have taken my A2 to a gargae close to work. This is due to commuting 120 miles a day and started to get worried about the ABS not working should I require to brake hard during the commute.

The garage plugged in and found the ABS fault to be mechanical and linked to the steering alignment sensor. The fault would not clear after recalibrating the steering etcetera. The mechanic was stuck until I said lets remove the steering wheel to ensure all was correct after I replaced the new wiper arm.

The problem turned out to be that when I refitted the steering wheel I was out by 1 degree or 1 tooth from 'top dead centre' from the punch mark on the column.

The fault cleared after the steering wheel was fitted correctly. Note to self: Only have a go at repairs if you know exactly what you're doing and yes I'm off to Specsavers this weekend!

I must thank Steve B, Tom (Timmus) and Jeff (Mustang-Owner) for the information and assistance to get my washers and warnings corrected.

Thanks again,

Tom

Hi Tom,

I'm very pleased you have got these issues sorted.

I'll reply to your PM shortly.

Cheers
Jeff

Back