Water leaking in rear passenger side and boot

G_Dobee

Hi there,

I've had my second A2 for a couple of years now. I knew there was some leaking of seals on the rear passenger floor and have noticed a few things were wet in my boot and the man that valeted my car also confirmed this. It didn't really cause me any major issues until this winter though. I'm working from home now and when I was using the car on the supermarket run I noticed the windows started having lots of condensation that doesn't want to clear on a run that short. I had to call the AA out on a different issue entirely and when he looked in the boot I could see the water around the battery compartment.

I bought a fish tank siphon to get the water out and it hasn't filled up as much since despite all the rain but there is a bit I can't get out. I originally thought it was the bumper that was leaking but I'm not sure why the water hasn't filled back up again. I am now wondering if it could be the roof and that the water build-up could have been from parking under the tree. I have a panoramic sunroof and that parking space hasn't been free since so I have been unable to park there.

Anyhow, I am digressing. I don't have the know-how or the space to fix it myself so I am wondering if you could recommend any garages that could check the bumper and / or roof in the Birmingham / West Midlands area. My sunroof doesn't fully open so it is having some issues on that front already.

Thanks Special edition, it's about an hour away, so not too bad. I'll get in touch and see what they are saying.

Much appreciated.

Last edited:
Boot water is often caused by failure of one or both the cabin exhaust vents. Reasonably easy to replace, but it means removing the rear bumper, which is a bit of a pain to remove

Boot water is often caused by failure of one or both the cabin exhaust vents. Reasonably easy to replace, but it means removing the rear bumper, which is a bit of a pain to remove

Thanks, I live in a tower block so not something I could do myself as we struggle to get a parking space. I hoping that means it won't cost me too much to get it repaired. :p

When we bought the car the garage was trying it's best to hide all of these issues but there was a sign of some old water leakage on the inside roof behind the rear passenger headrest. I'm guessing this water could end up in the rear passenger footwell and boot too.

Hi,

Almost certain to be the vents behind the bumper as indicated by Simon.

Picture 3 of my thread shows the culprits. New vents and sealant solved my issue. Good luck.

Darren

Hi,

Almost certain to be the vents behind the bumper as indicated by Simon.

Picture 3 of my thread shows the culprits. New vents and sealant solved my issue. Good luck.

Darren

Thanks, it's amazing to see what they look like when stripped back. I told the valet guy I thought the water was getting in by the light housing so they are quite close after all.

On another note: The bumper on our car doesn't quite look clipped right between the light housing and the wheel arch. I can see the mounting bracket on your car in photo 5 and one of those isn't quite in on both sides on my car. Not sure if had a knock and ended up that way of if it's been taken off before and not put back on properly.

You're welcome. If the sides are bowing outwards this can be a sign of a previous tap, you are correct.
Thanks, it's amazing to see what they look like when stripped back. I told the valet guy I thought the water was getting in by the light housing so they are quite close after all.

On another note: The bumper on our car doesn't quite look clipped right between the light housing and the wheel arch. I can see the mounting bracket on your car in photo 5 and one of those isn't quite in on both sides on my car. Not sure if had a knock and ended up that way of if it's been taken off before and not put back on properly.

"......My sunroof doesn't fully open so it is having some issues on that front already....."

First thing to do: cleane the drainage channels around a sunroof. It is a common reason for the water. You can do it at a car park.
Regards.

Thanks, I live in a tower block so not something I could do myself as we struggle to get a parking space. I hoping that means it won't cost me too much to get it repaired. :p

When we bought the car the garage was trying it's best to hide all of these issues but there was a sign of some old water leakage on the inside roof behind the rear passenger headrest. I'm guessing this water could end up in the rear passenger footwell and boot too.
Ah Ok missed the fact that you have a sunroof. Check the drains as has been stated. Notorious for getting blocked.

"......My sunroof doesn't fully open so it is having some issues on that front already....."

First thing to do: cleane the drainage channels around a sunroof. It is a common reason for the water. You can do it at a car park.
Regards.

Thank you, I'll look into cleaning it when I can get a good parking space. It's not always practical but if it's something I can sort then I will get on it.

Some pictures here of the vents

Dow Corning 781 is recommended as a seal. Apply the mastic then spray with a water/fairy liquid solution and smooth with your finger.

Here's a picture of the corner mounts. From memory it take took me about 1.5 to 2 hours to take of the bumper and the same to put back on. Maybe a bit less for a garage with multiple jacks. The wheels have to come off to remove the wheel arch liners. That gives access to 2 x screws (fasteners) that go into the into the long black strip to the right of the corner mount in the photo below. Besides that there are loads of fasteners underneath the bumper and along the top. Not complicated but one needs to find all the fasteners. Finally, the bumper has to be prised off the corner mount lugs using plastic levers and lubrication so as not to damage the paint work. Then it just about falls off so be ready to catch it. If it doesn't come off then you've missed a fastener!

Offside corner mount on body with ruler lr.jpg

A good start would be to run a credit card down between the windscreen seal and the body from the roof all the way down to the bonnet, then do the same between the last fixed roof panel and the body, that should clear the drains enough without getting too involved.
We can fix your roof if you are so inclined.

But my money would be on the vents leaking as above, seen this on so many A2's now, its a good idea to make that the first job when buying any A2

Ian

Thanks @Alan_uk for the pictures. That's really helpful. ?

Cheers @Kleynie I'll give it a go as you suggest. I do think I have the 2 issues - blocked drains and leaking vents.

Would love to get the roof fixed when things are a bit safer again. Thanks for the offer.

My first A2 didn't have any of these issues, the roof was fab, no leaks anywhere / no condensation so having to learn new things with this one. Still love it though.

My first A2 didn't have any of these issues, the roof was fab, no leaks anywhere / no condensation so having to learn new things with this one. Still love it though.

You have been lucky so far then, we have seen so many A2's with condensation issues which eventually makes the headlining sag

Whilst the roof is a frequent culprit. The rear vents are often the cause of this problem. The fact that you say the bumper is not fitting properly makes me think you have had a ‘nudge’ at the rear. I had exactly the problem you have and when I removed the bumper the rear vent had been damaged causing the leak. new vent (common part to several Audi cars), and seat it on mastic and problem has never recurred.
Geoff

You have been lucky so far then, we have seen so many A2's with condensation issues which eventually makes the headlining sag
We were very lucky.

Whilst the roof is a frequent culprit. The rear vents are often the cause of this problem. The fact that you say the bumper is not fitting properly makes me think you have had a ‘nudge’ at the rear. I had exactly the problem you have and when I removed the bumper the rear vent had been damaged causing the leak. new vent (common part to several Audi cars), and seat it on mastic and problem has never recurred.
Geoff
Thanks for the info Geoff. Did you put your old bumper back on and did it slot in again? Just wondering as I think this shade is a custom colour or finish.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info Geoff. Did you put your old bumper back on and did it slot in again? Just wondering as I think this shade is a custom colour or finish.

Yes the original bumper went back on but does not sit close along the sides, this is a very common sight on the A2 as even a gentle nudge causes the side clips to either spring off or even break the edge of the bumper that fits on the side brackets. If the main crash bar behind the plastic bumper has been distorted at all then getting the bumper to fit properly will be difficult.

Back