Welcome 03 Dolphin Grey 1.4TDI SE, OSS

Stan H

So after being an a2oc member for a few months without an A2 I saw one that looked like it might be the type i could go for.
OK its had several owners starting off life in Bristol and its far from the pristine examples that i see many of you guys & girls have, but beggers cant be choosers.
A 75 mile trip to Crewe with the notes from members advice on what to check / look for. MOT history shows that one owner did a regular 12K/year and the HPI showed other things that were acceptable.
A test drive went well and all the usual soft touch issues where there to be seen but worked without issue including the aircon, a few paint chips here and there, heaadlights ready for some work, alloys have some kerb rash and the interior is in great condition, just needs a morning with the bissell and summer to arrive.
The pressed steel front wishbones are rusty but a good seeing to with a wire brush & a few coats of paint will sort that out, no Dis or Crusie C, a future job for @timmus
No Vcas but my hand held code reader showed no fault codes.
The big issue is the oss, yes it has the clicking / worn gear, so that will be the biggest job.
The couple who had it for the past four years had kept all the invoices for the work done, with a Total of 134K on the clock.

So its a lemon I here you say, well the drive home was an absolote joy the turbo pull in 3rd gear was great and the seats (Black cloth) I'll let you experts tell me what they are, were supportive and comfortable, the motoway ride was smooth and the bow wave from the HGV's seemed not to have any affect.
The rest of the family love it too. I may come to regret it but i still have my grin from the journey home?.
I doubt that it will ever be a pristine example (No @SteveA2) but I would like to get it into a honest tidy, reliable one (with crusie at some stage @timmus).

So the £900 accepted for it seems OK, it's even cheaper than my sons laptop he got for his birthday.?.

Thanks to all for the advice so far I sure I'll be asking for more soon.
Whatever your doing enjoy it, pity the weather forecast is lots of the wet stuff this weekend around here.

Attachments

• PXL_20210514_174443549_compress6[1].jpg
    PXL_20210514_174443549_compress6[1].jpg
    628.6 KB · Views: 145
  • PXL_20210512_154222995_compress52[1].jpg
    PXL_20210512_154222995_compress52[1].jpg
    679.6 KB · Views: 146
  • PXL_20210512_165515719_compress66[1].jpg
    PXL_20210512_165515719_compress66[1].jpg
    633.1 KB · Views: 143
Congratulations, that looks like a good place to start :) Looks to be an SE with the standard Sinus pattern cloth seats in an Soul black interior. It's got the later wiper arm which might be a replacement as it still has the earlier service flap. It will have the 42l fuel tank but you will need to keep an eye on the pressed arms as you say - they tend to rust out from the inside. Still good going for £900 I'd say - and Dolphin Grey is one of the best colours ?

Last edited:
Adam (my son) and I can fix the roof, but you are a fair way from us (Heathrow), and it’s not do-able as a mobile service. But if you fancy a trip down south then we can help.
Great colour and price by the way, Dolphin seems to be the dearest and most sought after.

Ian

Well done that looks to be a diamond in the making
Love dolphin grey especially with the black glass of the oss
Certainly watch out for the front arms as the pressed steel do rot from the inside out so a wire brush and paint doesn’t hack it

Look out for some cast arms in the market place

Paul

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Adam (my son) and I can fix the roof, but you are a fair way from us (Heathrow), and it’s not do-able as a mobile service. But if you fancy a trip down south then we can help.
Great colour and price by the way, Dolphin seems to be the dearest and most sought after.

Ian
Hi Ian,
Thanks i have seen your threads over the past few months, I wasnt after one with the OSS knowing the issues that bestow them but we are where we are.
I Know Paul makes the replacement gear section that wears out he is just 3 mile from me and when the restrictions lift we plan to meet up.
i do have the tinest of leaks from the rear drivers side just in the rear side boot window behind the rear seats.
From what i have read it will require new seals when i finally get round to it.
Hopefully a trip down to you to have the proper job done.
if you can give me a ball park figure £.... I can add it to my wish list.

Have a good weekend.

Stan.

Leak is likely to be a blockage in the drain it drains to the tail gate

Hi Ian,
Thanks i have seen your threads over the past few months, I wasnt after one with the OSS knowing the issues that bestow them but we are where we are.
I Know Paul makes the replacement gear section that wears out he is just 3 mile from me and when the restrictions lift we plan to meet up.
i do have the tinest of leaks from the rear drivers side just in the rear side boot window behind the rear seats.
From what i have read it will require new seals when i finally get round to it.
Hopefully a trip down to you to have the proper job done.
if you can give me a ball park figure £.... I can add it to my wish list.

Have a good weekend.

Stan.
Paul can do a proper job, but equally we can do it too. An exchange roof with one of Paul’s motor mounts is £550 fitted.

Ian

Ha yes the tip run
You will be amazed what you can get in the A2. I have even had a complete oss IN the car and driven from Birmingham to st Anne’s

Back