What’s your favourite a2?

Daakk

Having only owned my 1.6fsi I got to thinking.....

what’s everyone’s favourite variant? I do like the 1.6 but often wonder what the others feel like to drive.

For me it's on a car-by-car basis. I've only ever driven TDI75's, I've currently got three of them, they've even all got the same map (AFAIK) and yet they all drive differently. I can only imagine how much different one of the other variants would feel. Although if I sell the one that's on the Market tomorrow, soon I might get to find out :D

I am a huge fan of the TDI (75 and 90).
The torque is very addictive, the £30 road tax and 60 mpg help too.
add a remap and to me, it suits me to a “T”

Having said that, I originally never fancied an FSI but then I bought a couple when I was trading A2s a few years back. Now I am a fan of that too, the reviews little engine is mighty impressive (when sorted) the car just feels lighter and more nimble than the TDI.
but the low down torque of the TFI just swings it.
Steve B

I can only speak from 1.4 petrol point of view, it's 75hp engine doesn't sound a lot, probably around 65-68hp after 20 years, and more difficult to tune than the diesel ones, but it's only 900kg so reaches 30mph in ~5 sec, hence for city driving, what I do mostly, is really great. The urban fuel consuption is around 40mpg, so not as good as diesel ones, but driving rather short distances it's better as engine warms up faster.

In straight line it can keep up with traffic usually, but on motorway you gotta push it more until reaches 60-70mph, then due the low weight, only with little gas you can keep it there. Taking over only when no cars in fast lane.
If you push it around 3k-4.5k/rpm, like coming out of a long roundabout or joining dual carriageway, the engine sound changes to a deeper tone, like an exhaust valve opens underneath, and that pull actually rather suprising. No it's not superfast, it's just not expected from a rather design & economy car. Steep uphill is the weakest point I reckon, feels like suddenly you lose 10-15hp and need 2-3x gas than you'd think, usually I'm on ~70% gas when climbing 15% uphill to keep up with others, while normally I'm on ~15% gas. Not sure why, maybe the slightly higher sitting position or the oil pressure can't keep up exactly. I say it'd need +25hp and that wouldn't be an issue either, so I rather recommend 1.4 petrol for mostly urban driving and not long distance everyday commutes, I'd done 170miles trips couple of times a year and my A2 did great, but 1.4 diesel is more suitable for that.

Last edited:
I was astonished what a different cars are 1.4 petrol and 1.4tdi. Second one rattling when starting, but when you get to speed it just gets into a rythm and rumbles nice.
For petrol you need to turn the engine over 4.000 rpm to get that “spark”. I hate the throtle delay.
And also the difference in driving. Petrol nicelly takes the turns, while on TDI you feel the higher engine weight on the front and thus is more prone to understeer.
So for me, 1.4 petrol is for fun, 1.4tdi for longer commutes on highway. I do not want to think about 1.6FSI due to its (potential) problems. But I would like to drive it once, just to test, because with 110HP it must be a pocket rocket.

I just adore beige leather interior although normal seats do not suit me. I have read that Sports seats are much better, but you work with what you have :). And I love also three spoke steering wheel.

So my best A2: orange Colour Storm 1.4 16v with beige lether interior with Sport seats.

Last edited:
My 1.4 petrol is positively asthmatic on motorways, so only suited to school or supermarket runs. My favourite A2 model is the 1.6 FSi and in particular the fine example belonging to @Darren C. I love the Cobalt Blue with Platinum leather combination, high specification and the concours condition in which he keeps it. Looking forward to admiring it again at Stanford Hall this weekend.

Back