• TDI '75 AMF/BHC

Votes: 34 27.9%
  • TDI '90 ATL

Votes: 18 14.8%
  • TDI 3L ANY

Votes: 4 3.3%

• Total voters

VAG fool

Am I in the minority? So many Tdi and FSI posts...

Careful searches suggest a deficit of info or experience, especially when it comes to AUA/BBY crossover.

This is not a criticism, mere observation!

We should definitely have separate threads to cater for the different engines and their own individuality rather than having them together all in one place. There are 7 engines to choose from in the range. Some separation of these I think would be very beneficial to members.
AMF, ANY, ATL, AUA, BAD, BBY, BHC.

Last edited:
Well, the petrol A2 has always been the underdog...despite the same power output on paper the driving experience can feel a bit asthmatic if compared to the impressive torque offered by the TDI version, not to mention the lack of power improvements available like remapping. For the purists the lighter and quieter petrol engine with its butter-smooth gear change fits best the original spirit and vision of the A2.
Now that many countries and city centers are banning old diesel engines, the petrol A2 is witnessing a new lease of life and appreciation, with prices on the rise :)

Well, the petrol A2 has always been the underdog...despite the same power output on paper the driving experience can feel a bit asthmatic if compared to the impressive torque offered by the TDI version, not to mention the lack of power improvements available like remapping. For the purists the lighter and quieter petrol engine with its butter-smooth gear change fits best the original spirit and vision of the A2.
Now that many countries and city centers are banning old diesel engines, the petrol A2 is witnessing a new lease of life and appreciation, with prices on the rise :)
Don't know about the 1.4, but I wouldn't describe my FSI as a "bit asthmatic"
I find it's performance is nippy, lively, etc. Don't feel the need to enhance it, as it's fine as standard.
I suspect always been appreciated by those in the know.
Excepting the occasional inlet manifold related problems, FSI & 1.4 Petrol specific (ie engine) threads are rare.
So, maybe @herx is right, we do have less problems.
Mac.

Don't overlook the number of forum posts related to an A2 variant will to a large extent be a reflection of how many of each are out there.

Andy

Agreed.
The TT Forum has a poll type thread where you tick a box for your car. Gives a clear indication of model types, by percentage.
Something similar on here, but just by engine type, would give a clear picture of what's out there. Members cars only of course, but might shed light on the silent majority of members who rarely post.
Those of you who have more than one, might have to choose a favourite!
Mac.
Screenshot_20210402-124030.png

We have less problems :cool:
Or lower miles! 1.4 AuA petrol more worn & smoking after 100k than 1,2 tdi after 250k but then again. petrol is a cutting fluid and derv a lubricant of sorts and revs around double for petrol (at least during acceleration).

@Proghound Any chance you could make it a separate thread, "What Engine is Yours?"
Maybe, in the headline slot, top of Home page?
Give it a bit of visibility.
Mac.

Unlike posts, sadly the poll can't be moved between threads. All the people who have already voted would have to vote again. The top of the Home page is also only temporary, threads automatically disappear from the Announcements section as the latest posts within them age past a certain cutoff.

If we were to do the same as the TT forum and have a permanent poll on the Home page I believe we'd need to change some of the site configuration. Not saying that this isn't possible, but it would need some Admin discussion and take some actual doing.

Best I could do at the moment would be to move the entire thread to one of the forums that feeds the Announcements section, and re-title it to suit - but as above, it won't be at the top of the Home page forever. Happy to do it though if that's OK with the OP ... @VAG fool, you could let me know your thoughts on PM if you like? :)

Last edited:
Unlike posts, sadly the poll can't be moved between threads. All the people who have already voted would have to vote again. The top of the Home page is also only temporary, threads automatically disappear from the Announcements section as the latest posts within them age past a certain cutoff.

If we were to do the same as the TT forum and have a permanent poll on the Home page I believe we'd need to change some of the site configuration. Not saying that this isn't possible, but it would need some Admin discussion and take some actual doing.

Best I could do at the moment would be to move the entire thread to one of the forums that feeds the Announcements section, and re-title it to suit - but as above, it won't be at the top of the Home page forever. Happy to do it though if that's OK with the OP ... @VAG fool, you could let me know your thoughts on PM if you like? :)
Didn't want to cause any hassle, just thought it'd be good to know the spread of engine types across "The Club"
Mac.

Is it me, but the poll % add up to more than 100 ...
Mac.

Errr, yes, so it does seem to .... :oops: Looks like it's dividing the number of each type by the number of voters instead of the number of votes. Multiple votes are allowed for those with more than one type so the number of voters is less than the number of votes, by about 20% at the moment.

Don't know about the 1.4, but I wouldn't describe my FSI as a "bit asthmatic"
I find it's performance is nippy, lively, etc. Don't feel the need to enhance it, as it's fine as standard.
I suspect always been appreciated by those in the know.
Excepting the occasional inlet manifold related problems, FSI & 1.4 Petrol specific (ie engine) threads are rare.
So, maybe @herx is right, we do have less problems.
Mac.
I was referring to the 1.4

1.4 petrol owner here. And very happy indeed. I would love to have the skills or money to pay someone to help tweak the engine. Lower it and sort out some of the body work marks. But ive used it as a removals truck. Delivery van. Dog transporter. Tip runner. People carrier and occasional go kart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back