What is this blemish?

Alan_uk

A2OC Donor
I've just spent 3 days giving the A2 it's annual spring clean inside and out - not perfect - just don't have the time. The downside is one sees all the chips and scratches. I did notice this "tarnish on the very top of the nearside wing. Any ideas what is the cause and the remedy? Could it be pollution? I tried claying but it made no difference.

Discouration 2 lr.jpg

PS I took a few photos but only one was in focus.

You could try a machine polish using a medium cutting compound or panel wipe followed by a light application of polish thereafter. Could be fallout or a spillage of some type. Difficult to tell from the photograph.

Importantly, the paint doesn't look damaged.

Thanks Darren. It is mainly on horizontal surfaces, nearly all the way along the top of the wing, as though it's from standing rain water. The car is parked on a very short drive and when working on the car I do smell vehicle pollution quite badly.

I don't have a machine polish. I do have some T-cut. Is that too strong?

It does look like either something is on or in the lacquer coat. Just be careful as not not cause more damage trying to remove it. Does the surface feel rough / pitted. Reminds me of orange peel.

Has the wing ever been painted Alan? Looks more like a reaction in the paint under the laquer to me.
No it hasn't Steve.
It does look like either something is on or in the lacquer coat. Just be careful as not not cause more damage trying to remove it. Does the surface feel rough / pitted. Reminds me of orange peel.
I will check tomorrow re feel. I agree, re not making it worse.

Thanks guys for replying.

I've never been a fan of T-Cut Alan. Try Meguiars Ultimate Compound, not too abrasive and should do the trick. G-techniq panel wipe might also work, but if you use this be aware it will remove the polish, so you'll need to reapply some afterwards.

Some links for you
Thanks for the links Daren. When you say remove polish do you mean lacquer? Reapplying polish is OK but lacquer is more tricky (for me at least)

When you apply any polish to the paint it will wear off over time due to washing and natural abrasions. Panel wipe will definitely remove it when you wipe the product over the paint. We are talking about an invisible layer of protection, not the lacquer that protects the base coat. If you were to wipe the wing with panel wipe, you would need to add the polish protection back, e.g. Meguiars or Autoglym Super Resin would do the trick. There are many other polishes and waxes of course.

Thanks for the links Daren. When you say remove polish do you mean lacquer? Reapplying polish is OK but lacquer is more tricky (for me at least)

First it is not rough to the feel. Here's some more photos taken with my phone. Could it be the metallic flakes going dark? As the curve of the wing transitions to the vertical they go away but that could be a trick with the light. The other wing is OK.

Discouration on wing 3.jpg
Discouration on wing 2.jpg

Put it down to flaws in the original paint - unusual for Audi to let that go though.

You are sure there has been no paint work done on the wings? I know you have owned it from nearly new, so should be aware of any work carried out.

Put it down to flaws in the original paint - unusual for Audi to let that go though.

You are sure there has been no paint work done on the wings? I know you have owned it from nearly new, so should be aware of any work carried out.
The wheel arch was resprayed - not the whole wing.

I can't remember how long these dark spots have been there but I think I first saw it last year and now they look more darker. The nearside catches the sun (the A2 points west) but there is a high hedge/bush that gives shade. It could be that over time the paintwork is fading but some pigments are not fading - just an uneducated guess.

I will get some Meguiars and try that first and then some hard polish.

Could still be from the arch respray, either overspray, paint reaction or wrong flake in the paint.

If you can not feel it and clay bar did nothing, I would learn to live with it or try to disguise it more. My fear is you will need to break into or even through the clear coat. But at the end of the day if it is the paint itself that contains the marks then either respray or replace the wings.

Years ago I did see the after effects of someone getting to eager with a grinder and that debris impact the paint and glass. That however did produce a rough surface that quickly started to rust when wet.

Back