Which A2 to keep?

A2Steve

A2OC Donor
Wales
I’m really on a bit of a quandary.

I’ve taken in a 2002 TDI 75 SE that’s been owned by the same guy for the last 20 years. It had been off the road for 4 years and with just a service, new brakes and an airbag controller it flew through the MOT last week. It drives beautifully, very smooth even on the factory 17 inch wheels and has good factory spec. DD dash, MFSW, Auto dimming mirror, front washer bumper, electric lumber, DIS, cruise and I’ll also be fitting platinum leather sports seats to it too.

Now, I like it as much as pine green but I only have need of one A2 and don’t want to take up a valuable space with a car just sat there.

For those who don’t know my pine green one, it’s a 2000 model 1.4 SE that I’ve done the following to:-

- 1.6 BCB bottom end, (new timing kit, waterpump, death pipe and thermostat housing all changed).
- AUB head,
- AVY inlet and injectors,
- AVY 4 branch manifold
- Larger ignition leads
- Pipercross cold air feed
- AUA gearbox with new clutch and flyhweel (quicker to rev)
- Stance+ coilovers
- Adjustable drop links
- Audi A8 17 monoblock alloys with 205/40/17 falken tyres
- 20mm spacers at rear, 15mm spacers at front
- slatted service flap
- bonnet, 4 doors, tailgate, front bumper and rear arches swapped for better items
- stainless free-flowing exhaust and 200 cell sports cat with stainless backbox
- black dash swap
- cream leather SE seats
It’s quick, loud, uncomfortable but a heck of a lot of fun.

So which one do I keep and which do I sell?

B3D41D95-8B63-4BA4-943F-7CACB320E2EF.jpeg

I feel your pain as I will be very soon be in your position, we need to sell one to make room for a camper we are about to take delivery of, fairly sure Frankie will stay and dolphin grey will be sold.
Surely it depends if you go into ULEZ areas at all. My personal choice would be keep silver one, having owned a pine green in the past they are nearly as bad as black to keep clean. Also I would always prefer diesel.
With all the hours you have put into the pine green would you reep the costs back.
Also is either a 5 seater to fit all the family in?
If I was to own just one A2 (not likely to happen) I would keep my most standard one.
All dilemmas I'm sure you have considered so I'm no help really😀 but my vote is keep silver one.
You could advertised both and see which one sells first, good luck with your decision.

I feel your pain as I will be very soon be in your position, we need to sell one to make room for a camper we are about to take delivery of, fairly sure Frankie will stay and dolphin grey will be sold.
Surely it depends if you go into ULEZ areas at all. My personal choice would be keep silver one, having owned a pine green in the past they are nearly as bad as black to keep clean. Also I would always prefer diesel.
With all the hours you have put into the pine green would you reep the costs back.
Also is either a 5 seater to fit all the family in?
If I was to own just one A2 (not likely to happen) I would keep my most standard one.
All dilemmas I'm sure you have considered so I'm no help really😀 but my vote is keep silver one.
You could advertised both and see which one sells first, good luck with your decision.
I’d never recoup the hours I’ve put into it but then I won’t take my labour into the equation.

I never drive into ulez zones so that’s not really a concern.

Perhaps I’m just getting older and prefer the comfort over the coilovers and noise 😂

Reactions: RZX
Which one would you be more gutted seeing coming back to you to be recycled if the next owner didn’t cherish it?

I’m sure you’d have no shortage of suitors for either, so ultimately it depends on what you’re going to get the use out of.

The TDI is probably the more rounded vehicle, but if you’ve other cars that do the majority of the day to day stuff, keep the lean green machine for the LOLs!

Last edited:

I’ve taken in a 2002 TDI 75 SE that’s been owned by the same guy for the last 20 years. It had been off the road for 4 years and with just a service, new brakes and an airbag controller it flew through the MOT last week. It drives beautifully, very smooth even on the factory 17 inch wheels and has good factory spec. DD dash, MFSW, Auto dimming mirror, front washer bumper, electric lumber, DIS, cruise and I’ll also be fitting platinum leather sports seats to it too.

Now, I like it as much as pine green but I only have need of one A2 and don’t want to take up a valuable space with a car just sat there.

For those who don’t know my pine green one, it’s a 2000 model 1.4 SE that I’ve done the following to:-

- 1.6 BCB bottom end, (new timing kit, waterpump, death pipe and thermostat housing all changed).
- AUB head,
- AVY 4 branch manifold
- Larger ignition leads
- Stance+ coilovers
- Adjustable drop links
- slatted service flap
- bonnet, 4 doors, tailgate, front bumper and rear arches swapped for better items
- black dash swap
- cream leather SE seats

View attachment 106705
For me it would be the tdi (every time). If only I had the space for another after relieving Clackers of his black tdi last week.

Which one would you be more gutted seeing coming back to you to be recycled if the next owner didn’t cherish it?

I’m sure you’d have no shortage of suitors for either, so ultimately it depends on what you’re going to get the use out of.

The TDI is probably the more rounded vehicle, but if you’ve other cars that do the majority of the day to day stuff, keep the lean green machine for the LOLs!
It’s surprising how often that happens. I think people think that because it’s been through my hands and looking good that it needs absolutely no maintenance for the foreseeable. 20 year old cars don’t play that game and so they seem to get neglected.

It’s surprising how often that happens. I think people think that because it’s been through my hands and looking good that it needs absolutely no maintenance for the foreseeable. 20 year old cars don’t play that game and so they seem to get neglected.
Yep, absolutely spot on. They don’t need to be garage queens but basic, preventative maintenance is an absolute must for any car.

I would keep the diesel, cheaper to run, easier to drive around. But if you don't go far keep the petrol.

Only he knows what the car is used for, what are smiles per mile of each car. If he uses it for daily travel 50 miles one way, it should not be really comfortable in pine green. If he wants a fun weekend car, well… And a million of options in between ;).

I’d keep the pine green. All those hours and it’s unique. As much as the tdi is lovely, more tdi’s will be available. Unless you are looking for a new project……

Well thanks guys, that’s now as clear as mud. I’m no further along knowing which one to keep than I was this morning 😂

- AUB head,
- AVY 4 branch manifold
- Larger ignition leads
- Stance+ coilovers
- Adjustable drop links
- slatted service flap
- black dash swap
- cream leather SE seats

View attachment 106705
Pine Green is sooo special!

Back