Which oil you using nowadays in a 1.4L(55kw) petrol

Hello Again All,
If you read my previous post below( Too much oil I believe) you will know where I am at :(!!
Tap & plugs ordered(delivery expectancy unknown!) so in the mean time,
I thought I would get on with sourcing oil (@ a reasonable price!)
and what brand/ viscosity/spec etc owners are using? I won't be going the long life route
as I will only be doing 2000-3000miles a year in my 1.4L petrol 55kw!!
There are lots of posts already I know, but not too recently!!
Suggestions will be gratefully appreciated and thank-you in advance.

This. Make sure its LL and not M or whatever else. 4 litre should be enough for a full change.
20230327_015547.jpg

Hello Again All,
If you read my previous post below( Too much oil I believe) you will know where I am at :(!!
Tap & plugs ordered(delivery expectancy unknown!) so in the mean time,
I thought I would get on with sourcing oil (@ a reasonable price!)
and what brand/ viscosity/spec etc owners are using? I won't be going the long life route
as I will only be doing 2000-3000miles a year in my 1.4L petrol 55kw!!
There are lots of posts already I know, but not too recently!!
Suggestions will be gratefully appreciated and thank-you in advance.
I use 5w 30 quantum cubes of 5l I get from my local vw for £45

I prefer 5w-40 or 10w-40 in old cars that use oil. With 5w-30 the oil consumption will be even higher.
Also the protection of engine when hot is with 30 lower although this is not really so important with A2 engines, since they are not high revving.

I just did a service at one of the garages of the Norwegian Automobile Federation.

They used TOTAL QUARTZ INEO LONG LIFE 0W-30.

I prefer 5w-40 or 10w-40 in old cars that use oil. With 5w-30 the oil consumption will be even higher.
Also the protection of engine when hot is with 30 lower although this is not really so important with A2 engines, since they are not high revving.
Except the FSIs.
Mac.

Reactions: mtl
I know this post is a few months old but I’ve just noticed it.

My understanding is that this blanket statement is inaccurate, albeit a common misconception - the level of hot protection an oil offers is not dependent on the grade, but the quality of the oil. Therefore 507 spec engine oil offers superior protection than oil made to the older 505 spec for diesels for example, despite the hot viscosity being lower.

See this link for more info

Millers Oil VW Specific 5w 40

Tried that a few years ago to see if it helped with the 1.4 Petrol BBY Piston Slap noise. I think it worked, so have stuck with it.

Steve U

First, I would ask how long your rides are amd how hard you drive your car. Based on that I would recommend specific oil. Then the recommendation can range from 0W-30 VW507.00 to 10W-50 VW502.00 😉

I have two simple rules on oil:
1 Never use an oil that doesn't meet* the car manufacturers spec for your vehicle.
2 The best oil may not be the most expensive, but will never be the cheapest.

*Meets the car manufacturers spec means it has been tested in accordance with the manufacturer's spec, and has passed those tests.

Mac.

If you have access to a Costco card they often have the Castrol Edge 5w30 in both flavours on their members offers.
Usually stock up when it comes around after being horrified at the normal retail price.

I buy this in 20L size as it does all our Diesel VAG cars (A6, A2, Golf and Polo). The guys there are really helpful if you need advice (they advised on gearbox oil for mine recently)

Giving the thread a bump with a little help needed to clarify:
I've been using Mannol's 5w30 and have been pretty happy with it, but:
- I do have the notorious piston slap noise in my AUA
- I am in Italy, and every year it gets hotter and hotter, with 35-40C being a quite common ambient temperature during summer months.
- I do like to drive 'enthusiastically' pretty often ;)
- I don't really do long service intervals despite using a longlife oil and change the oil every +-10k km / once a year.

So, I've considered that 5w40 may be a more reasonable choice.

However, 5w40 are not 504/507 compatible, if I understand correctly?
Does it make sense to get a VW 505.00 5w40 (like Fuchs Titan Supersyn 5W40), or I should stay with 5w30 and stop bothering?

Tima

Back