Which one would you choose?

3wheeler

Hi its a while since I was here- I had a red 52 plate 1.6fsi that I sold quickly on, as it was a sorted car, but I had no idea how long that would be the case...
But, I got the bug. Now I have a choice of 95000 1.4 TDI 90, or a 50000 Petrol. Both pano roof (I want that feature, risks known!) The petrol is £1600, FSH, Cambelt new etc etc, the diesel is not, and needs a cambelt and is twice the price of the petrol car, and further away too! As I type this, it sounds like a no-brainer, but the petrol is a base model, only with the roof. The TDI is specced up. Which would you choose?

Afternoon,

Both engines you’re condmsiseribg can be very reliable is well correctly maintained. I e had a 1.4 BBY that managed to get to 258k miles. Maybe even more if a previous owner didn’t tape over the EML warning indication. I know better now!

The TDI is way better on economy but is less efficient if you’re only conducting short journeys. What is your expected mileage?

The TDI can easily be remapped for a little more power and economy and also has the ability to receive a 6 speed gearbox for greater mpg.

It really depends on how you’re I renewing to use the future A2.

As for specification, most things can be retrofitted by using the information freely available on these pages and elsewhere online. There is also Tom @timmus whibis an absolute legend at the retrofits that maybe beyond your capability.

Only you can probably answer your question as you’re best places to understand what your future journeys may be.

Obviously the TDI engine isn’t great if you live or commute into a low emission zones.

This is just my take on things but others will be along shortly to offer their experience.

Kind regards,

Tom

Afternoon,

Both engines you’re condmsiseribg can be very reliable is well correctly maintained. I e had a 1.4 BBY that managed to get to 258k miles. Maybe even more if a previous owner didn’t tape over the EML warning indication. I know better now!

The TDI is way better on economy but is less efficient if you’re only conducting short journeys. What is your expected mileage?

The TDI can easily be remapped for a little more power and economy and also has the ability to receive a 6 speed gearbox for greater mpg.

As for specification, most things can be retrofitted by using the information freely available on these pages and elsewhere online. There is also Tom @timmus whibis an absolute legend at the retrofits that maybe beyond your capability.

Only you can probably answer your question as you’re best places to understand what your future journeys may be.

Obviously the TDI engine isn’t great if you live or commute into a low emission zones.

This is just my take on things but others will be along shortly to offer their experience.

Kind regards,

Tom
Hi Tom
Thanks very much- My commute is a really lovely B-road for 35 miles each way in open countryside! I'm a lucky chap- I want to replace my 66 plate Scirocco TDI 185 with it- that gives 47mpg average. I know the Audi will be 20 years old, so expect some issues. Plenty of space to give the TDI90 an Italian Tune-up! Its an 05, and the petrol is an 01! So presumably early suspension arms too! Still undecided!

Hi Tom
Thanks very much- My commute is a really lovely B-road for 35 miles each way in open countryside! I'm a lucky chap- I want to replace my 66 plate Scirocco TDI 185 with it- that gives 47mpg average. I know the Audi will be 20 years old, so expect some issues. Plenty of space to give the TDI90 an Italian Tune-up! Its an 05, and the petrol is an 01! So presumably early suspension arms too! Still undecided!
Hi,

Seems like the TDI has enough distance to warm up to make the best if it’s economical 3 pot engine.

I actually commuted in my 1.4 Petrol BBY for 4 years covering over 100k miles and I can report that it served me very well indeed. Thinking back I’m sure I was only managing some 50mpg but could be well off here as I just cannot remember.

I must add that I only chose the Petrol variant as the right TDI was not available at the time of needing a commuter.

I’m now some 18 months in using a TDI 75 AMF and I haven’t looked back, even if I’ve not been able to manage my usual annual 25-27k miles due to lockdown. The economy is so much better throughout my 60 miles each way commute. 600 miles a week which, if I was really frugal, could possibly manage it in one tank (earlier smaller tank) but that would be using the dregs of the tank.

Kind regards,

Tom

If you’re doing 70 miles per day on roads that are nice to drive and not in built up areas it’s a no brainier. TDI or FSI all the way.

Given you’ve already scratched the FSI itch and share the common ‘FSIphobia’ phenomenon then it sounds like you’ve only really one choice……

Afternoon,

Kind regards,

Tom
Hi its a while since I was here- I had a red 52 plate 1.6fsi that I sold quickly on, as it was a sorted car, but I had no idea how long that would be the case...
But, I got the bug. Now I have a choice of 95000 1.4 TDI 90, or a 50000 Petrol. Both pano roof (I want that feature, risks known!) The petrol is £1600, FSH, Cambelt new etc etc, the diesel is not, and needs a cambelt and is twice the price of the petrol car, and further away too! As I type this, it sounds like a no-brainer, but the petrol is a base model, only with the roof. The TDI is specced up. Which would you choose?
If you’re doing 70 miles per day on roads that are nice to drive and not in built up areas it’s a no brainier. TDI or FSI all the way.

Given you’ve already scratched the FSI itch and share the common ‘FSIphobia’ phenomenon then it sounds like you’ve only really one choice……
@3wheeler
Depending on where you live, and where you travel, consider that only petrol A2 are Euro 4 compliant (a few, very early 1,4s may not be), and LEZ and ULEZ (Low Emission & Ultra Low Emissions) zones seem to be popping up regularly,
Mac,

Back