Who has the oldest A2?

Alan_uk

A2OC Donor
I think we've had highest and lowest mileage and who has the youngest A2 but I don't recall discussing the oldest A2 on this forum though often posters say our A2s will become a classic vehicle one day.

The A2 was launched in November 1999 in Germany and sold in the UK in 2000, though I cannot find the month. That makes the oldest A2 18 years old.

Has anyone an 18 year old A2? If so, what month in 2000 was it registered?

Some insurance companies class any vehicle over 20 years old a classic (so just 2 years to go) though 25 years it is generally considered the minimum age. HMRC considers a vehicle 15 years old to be a classic but only if it is worth more than £15,000, so even Steve Birchall previous all singing A2 doesn't qualify ;) This only applies to benefits in kind.

Some journalist say a car is a classic if has stopped going down in value and actually starts appreciating. We've seen some A2s go for high prices but like Steve's they usually had lots of extras added to them and working open sky. But I don't sense A2s are increasing in value yet, but it would be nice to be shown otherwise (e.g. the same vehicle being sold for more that it was purchased without any rennovation or modifications).

Why researching this I found an article by insurer Carole Nash. They consider any vehicle that’s over 15 years old for classic car insurance but it seems it has to be in tip top condition with a good service record and low annual mileage. Has anyone tried them?
https://www.carolenash.com/insidecl...guides-and-tips/whats-definition-classic-car/

I think we've had highest and lowest mileage and who has the youngest A2 but I don't recall discussing the oldest A2 on this forum though often posters say our A2s will become a classic vehicle one day.

The A2 was launched in November 1999 in Germany and sold in the UK in 2000, though I cannot find the month. That makes the oldest A2 18 years old.

Has anyone an 18 year old A2? If so, what month in 2000 was it registered?

Some insurance companies class any vehicle over 20 years old a classic (so just 2 years to go) though 25 years it is generally considered the minimum age. HMRC considers a vehicle 15 years old to be a classic but only if it is worth more than £15,000, so even Steve Birchall previous all singing A2 doesn't qualify ;) This only applies to benefits in kind.

Some journalist say a car is a classic if has stopped going down in value and actually starts appreciating. We've seen some A2s go for high prices but like Steve's they usually had lots of extras added to them and working open sky. But I don't sense A2s are increasing in value yet, but it would be nice to be shown otherwise (e.g. the same vehicle being sold for more that it was purchased without any rennovation or modifications).

Why researching this I found an article by insurer Carole Nash. They consider any vehicle that’s over 15 years old for classic car insurance but it seems it has to be in tip top condition with a good service record and low annual mileage. Has anyone tried them?
https://www.carolenash.com/insidecl...guides-and-tips/whats-definition-classic-car/

I did have a pine green 1.4 petrol registered on W plate and that was on 04/08/2000

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mines on an ‘X’ plate, and was registered in November 2000, so it’ll be 18 in just over 6 months time!
From memory, ‘X’ ran from the beginning of September 2000 to the end of Feb 2001.

I think the A2 launched in the summer of 2000 in the UK; I remember going to an event at what was Aston Green Audi in Reading, now Reading Audi, and driving a pine green petrol one with a beige interior :)

Just seem Nat’s post. I reckon it was launched in August then and that pine green was one of the launch colours!
Mine was first registered 17/11/00

adff0ab19b0916c2934a38e3a48ee094.jpg

This was mine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought my TDi from its original owner at the end of September last year. It's a Y reg, registered 2nd March 2001, so he owned the car for just over 16.5 years? It's been garaged from new and has all paperwork for everything related to the car, including the customer order form with all of the options listed.

I shouldn't bask in his reflected glory, but the car is a credit to the previous owner. One of the keys has never been used and looks 'as new'.

Bought my TDi new in May 2001. Did the 'old school' oil and filter change myself at 1000 miles and spent a couple of happy days Waxoyling it while the weather was warm a few weeks later.

Cheers Spike
Spike, I don’t understand why you would waxoyl an aluminium car? Apart from the front lower control arms and rear swing axle maybe?

Waxoyl was to protect all the suspension and brakes plus the clips and fasteners which mount onto or penetrate the bodyshell. I also treated some of the cavities to try and seal the concealed ends of bolts and captive nuts. Last time I checked, all the vunerable heat shield mounting studs were still in good shape.

Cheers Spike

I also bought mine as new in 11.2002. It was a replacement for my 03.2001 petrol... Still enjoying...

This is mine, doing some work at the moment.

Attachments

• IMG_0412.PNG
    IMG_0412.PNG
    1.4 MB · Views: 287
  • IMG_0414.JPG
    IMG_0414.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 287
Hi, newish member here, have owned my crystal blue fsi from new 13 March 2004 and have enjoyed 62,000 miles and 14 trouble free years, not the longest I know but many partnerships end in divorce long before this.
Came across a2oc when looking for information about open sky earlier this year, mine now needs a little help to open the second section. Now it's testing me as it's just developed a leak from around the "death pipe" (a term I've learnt from here) I think it's the 87 degree thermostat remaining closed. Time to roll up my sleeves I think.

Hi, newish member here, have owned my crystal blue fsi from new 13 March 2004 and have enjoyed 62,000 miles and 14 trouble free years, not the longest I know but many partnerships end in divorce long before this.
Came across a2oc when looking for information about open sky earlier this year, mine now needs a little help to open the second section. Now it's testing me as it's just developed a leak from around the "death pipe" (a term I've learnt from here) I think it's the 87 degree thermostat remaining closed. Time to roll up my sleeves I think.

Yes, best to get it changed asap because they have a tendency to just blow and dump all.of the coolant very quickly.

The thermostat housing and coolant pipe were changed this morning by my friendly mobile mechanic, Adrian, and here's the damage. Fortunately nothing is missing
image.jpeg

Good to hear that there are fsi,s out there that have been faultless since new.

Back