Who wants to make a "The Definitive Hypermiling mod list" with me ?

vaderstep

Ok, This should be a thing. Perhaps a tier based list, on fuel economy mods and their cost/value.

Im getting this car almost purely out of spite. I work in the oil-industry and all around me i see crazed left wingers going on about the enviroment and how terrible everyone else is, without actually doing anything themselves.

Im going to buy this little s**tbox and im going to pour my wallet into it, pick it apart, send the engine off to a pro, get the 6 speed gearbox. Everything!

But thats just it, other than the most obvious , i dont really know what mods are good/popular/useful.

Those skinny wheels of the bmw i3 ? i Wanna get a hole saw for my drill, a bucket and a bathroom scale and not stop until it reads "100kg"

Lowering it? does that help? body mods? removing the backseats or noice insulation ?

Who wants to join me in this ? ill post videos and pics of the whole operation. Lets just make the list first.
Whatever crazy things you guys can think of , ill do it.

Last edited:
Yeah, thats a start. But id like to make a list out of it. Maybe it will become a google doxs thing. But i cant scroll thru the entire forum, and its silly keeping all this information hidden away in endless posts.

What's your annual distance travelled? When you do a calculation as to the extra fuel cost if a car isn't as frugal as another, you'll be surprised as to how relatively low that cost is. Do some calculations ..... I don't think that it justifies the expense .... You'll probably find that it would take Years to recoup those costs in fuel saving. The diesel A2 IS quite frugal, anyway. All electric is the way forward. In yesterday's newspaper I read that a novel battery has been developed that can be fully charged in 10 minutes and give a comfortable range of 250 miles. It's also said to be durable and virtually indestructible .... it should last for ever! Having said all this, I DO have a 6-speed gearbox in my diesel A2, but that was fitted Years ago before "the writing was on the wall" regarding the demise of diesel as a fuel

David

Or you could do what everyone else does - relax a bit, do a bit (lot) of reading, and then ask questions engaging in debate. This is a friendly and open forum where people actually discuss things when the effort is put in. Patience is a virtue.. :)

TL;DR - over the past few years -

proper service & buy car with decent maintenance history
6 speed box or long 5-speed (bluemotion in either case)
cruise control
aero parts off 1.2tdi
learn to drive
15" pepperpot wheels with light tyres
remap
bluemotion oil in gearbox
2-stroke oil in fuel along with diesel additives
any or all of these etc.

... and as David suggests above - if you are willing to go down that route, electrification may ultimately be the best response ; the new batteries he mentioned (or something suitably recovered from a Tesla or similar) tied in with a Swindon Powertrain motor / transmission unit (https://swindonpowertrain.com/uk/index.aspx), and perhaps speaking to someone like @timmus who knows the electronic control units in these cars backwards who may be able to suggest the best means to bring these things together could be a workable approach, especially if you have the budget. You could be the pioneer. Best of luck! Sounds like an interesting project.

Thanks for your reply David, and im sure you are right, im gonna have to drive to the moon and back to actually start saving money. But thats not what this is about. I Just want that mpg down. This is not about economy, just fuel economy?

This could be an interesting place to start with a fellow norskman thrown in for good measure!

This could be an interesting place to start with a fellow norskman thrown in for good measure!
Im reading it already !:D But thanks !

is that so ? im still trying to figure out wich car to start of with, is the 3l the best ? i brushed it of as some 3 liter engine but im guessing it means something else ?
It means 3L Diesel to 100 km. A very special if pretty rare beast. 1.2l tdi engine with an auto itv gear box. LHD only (not an issue for you) and imho nowhere near as nice to drive as a regular A2 but if you want to hypermile it’s the perfect starting point,

It means 3L Diesel to 100 km. A very special if pretty rare beast. 1.2l tdi engine with an auto itv gear box. LHD only (not an issue for you) and imho nowhere near as nice to drive as a regular A2 but if you want to hypermile it’s the perfect starting point,
hmm, ok. And if i cant find that, what would you put in second place ? is the petrol far behind in mpg ?

Erling - since none of them get scrapped but re-built..... they get a larger and larger part of the diesel A2s in Norway. around 12% last time I asked.
A lot of that is due to the exceptional help provided by @RAB and others.

Miles. If it’s not a 3L then a 1.4tdi 75bhp is the next best bet purely on mpg followed by the 1.4tdi 90bhp. Then the 1.4 petrol

My experience, same driver and same roads (E18) all measures based on 3 fuel fillings:

A2 1.2TDI 0.27 L/10km
A2 1.4TDI 2002 AMF 0.334 L/10km
A2 1.4TDI 2005 BHC 0.38 L/10km
A2 1.4 2001 AUA 0.58 L /10km

Cheers
dieselfan

Erling - since none of them get scrapped but re-built..... they get a larger and larger part of the diesel A2s in Norway. around 12% last time I asked.
A lot of that is due to the exceptional help provided by @RAB and others.
That is great to hear! In the UK they are certainly a rarity but I agree @RAB remains a fantastic help in keeping them going. Though he’s pretty helpful on the 1.4’s as well tbf!

My experience, same driver and same roads (E18) all measures based on 3 fuel fillings:

A2 1.2TDI 0.27 L/10km
A2 1.4TDI 2002 AMF 0.334 L/10km
A2 1.4TDI 2005 BHC 0.38 L/10km
A2 1.4 2001 AUA 0.58 L /10km

Cheers
dieselfan
oh wow, thats quite a difference. id hate to buy a car like this and have it use 0.58 ? ?

Back