Wind deflectors

Peterbude

The interior gets a bit boomy when driving with the windows down. Has anyone got any experience of using wind deflectors and a recommendation for supplier?

The interior gets a bit boomy when driving with the windows down. Has anyone got any experience of using wind deflectors and a recommendation for supplier?
Got them on all mine. Its good with the windows just cracked, but still buffets with them right down.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

I also have had them fitted to my old A2 for years.

They work great with the windows only slightly open during my 122 mile commute a day.

I used the Heko wind deflectors but cannot comment on any other makes out there. they are available on both eBay and Amazon.

Kind regards,

Tom

I think all 3 sets I have are Heko.
Beware the rears seem to come loose, so mine are now secured with a thin bead of Tiger Seal. Then no need for the steel clips.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

I tried some Hekos on my first A2. They looked good and, as others have commented, they worked well enough with small window openings, which is what they're designed for. But I found they stopped the tops of some of the window frames from sealing properly against the bodywork, I could hear more noise than usual with the windows shut. But the worst thing was the doubling of the apparent width of the already huge offside A-pillar when driving. It was that which made up my mind not to bother refitting them when my front ones showed signs of falling out after about 6 weeks - they apparently needed more than just the clips and double-sided tape they came with.

I have exactly the same booming noise problem. It really does our heads (and ears) in. Our car don't have AC, so windows are the only practical source of cooling and ventilation on hot days.
I've been thinking wind deflectors too, which would hopefully add the additional benefit of being able to have windows cracked an inch or two on rainy days.
But I don't fancy the problem with (a) them stopping the window closing properly, (b) them having no effect on the booming noise when windows are open wide, and (c) them causing their own turbulence noise.
Has anyone solved either of these three issues?

One interesting thing I have discovered is that if the flow of air is redirected or interrupted around the open window... the noise stops. This can be done very simply with your right hand. Try it. Window fully open... get up to speed... 50 or 60mph plus.. move open hand in various positions around wing mirror until the sweet spot is found and the noise stops.
So next question is... as I cannot be the only owner to have sussed this.... is there a deflector available that'll mimic what the hand is doing to air-flow around the window?

I have exactly the same booming noise problem. It really does our heads (and ears) in. Our car don't have AC, so windows are the only practical source of cooling and ventilation on hot days.
I've been thinking wind deflectors too, which would hopefully add the additional benefit of being able to have windows cracked an inch or two on rainy days.
But I don't fancy the problem with (a) them stopping the window closing properly, (b) them having no effect on the booming noise when windows are open wide, and (c) them causing their own turbulence noise.

One interesting thing I have discovered is that if the flow of air is redirected or interrupted around the open window... the noise stops. This can be done very simply with your right hand. Try it. Window fully open... get up to speed... 50 or 60mph plus.. move open hand in various positions around wing mirror until the sweet spot is found and the noise stops.
So next question is... as I cannot be the only owner to have sussed this.... is there a deflector available that'll mimic what the hand is doing to air-flow around the window?
That's brilliant, I think you are the first, will try it next time out if I remember! - Andy

As above, opening a rear window a couple of cm has a huge impact on the boom.
I've tried opening the rear windows and it was just as bad. Maybe I opened them to far, so will try again.
But my car is the basic model with manual rear windows, so even if it worked, opening a shutting rear windows all the time would be a real pain.
I had another go with my hand yesterday, and it strikes me that if the door mirror had been designed with a broad solid body all the way to the door, rather than a slimmed-down arm, that would have sorted it. To test this I'd have to make some kind of mock-up with "sticky-back plastic and mother's old washing up liquid container".
If it works... a small piece of clear perspex neatly anchored somewhere could solve it. In fact...having just checked... a rectangle of flat perspex either slotted into the seam between the closed door and the door pillar, or taped to the inner edge of the door pillar. First fine day and I'm gonna try it out.

It works!
Tried it today with an 8" x 6" rectangle of thin clear plastic cut from a 2 litre spring water bottle. Offered it into the drivers side door seam, longwise out, just in front of the door mirror so that the curve of the plastic bottle side caressed around and a little beyond the neck of the mirror.
Got up to 60mph and fully opened the driver's window and that hectic thrumming oscillating sound had gone. My hyper-critical wife pointed out that it was still noisy... but also had to admit that it was the same volume of noise you'd expect from an open window at 60mph on any other car; which will get noisy from the streamlining being compromised. We did a control by maintaining 60mph, closing the drivers window and fully opening the front passenger window, and the result was a return of those extreme rapidly oscillating pressure waves that do your ears and head in.
I just need to try trimming the piece of plastic down to the minimum size that still works, then replicate it in perspex and tape it to the inside edge of the door pillar and hope it don't look too Heath-Robinson.

It works!
Tried it today with an 8" x 6" rectangle of thin clear plastic cut from a 2 litre spring water bottle. Offered it into the drivers side door seam, longwise out, just in front of the door mirror so that the curve of the plastic bottle side caressed around and a little beyond the neck of the mirror.
Got up to 60mph and fully opened the driver's window and that hectic thrumming oscillating sound had gone. My hyper-critical wife pointed out that it was still noisy... but also had to admit that it was the same volume of noise you'd expect from an open window at 60mph on any other car; which will get noisy from the streamlining being compromised. We did a control by maintaining 60mph, closing the drivers window and fully opening the front passenger window, and the result was a return of those extreme rapidly oscillating pressure waves that do your ears and head in.
I just need to try trimming the piece of plastic down to the minimum size that still works, then replicate it in perspex and tape it to the inside edge of the door pillar and hope it don't look too Heath-Robinson.
Very interesting, please share some photos when you feel you have found a good design?

My solution is to open the front passenger side window and driver side rear passenger window. Wind is then sucked diagonally across the car interior cleanly due (I guess) to the dynamic pressure difference and buffeting/booming does not occur, even with large openings. Not so convenient as you have to be a bit double jointed to reach behind to wind down the passenger window but it definitely works.

My solution is to open the front passenger side window and driver side rear passenger window. Wind is then sucked diagonally across the car interior cleanly due (I guess) to the dynamic pressure difference and buffeting/booming does not occur, even with large openings. Not so convenient as you have to be a bit double jointed to reach behind to wind down the passenger window but it definitely works.
Thanks for that suggestion Bluesim. I can rationalise how that would work.... positive pressure at the open front window and negative pressure from the rear window diagonally opposite it, causing a small refreshing hurricane blasting through the car. I will try it.
Reaching behind to operate the rear window handle while driving, even for this arthritic old geezer, is no big deal... because the car is so small.

Back