Wiper arm catching scuttle

Jayw13702

A2OC Donor
Finally got the wipers working on the project, fitted the motor back on and ran it so it parked, that way I had a starting point.

Connected the linkage to the motor and then set the arm up, finally I tightened it all up and gave it a wizz.

The arm moved up the screen but only covered 8/10th of the expected sweep, it then traveled back down the screen went past the park position and then tried to jam itself on the scuttle panel as the movement of the motor seems to make the wiperarm move lower than the park position and then rise again up the windscreen to the park position

So I’ve obviously set something up incorrectly. Can anyone help and tell me what position the short linkage that connects to the wiper motor points to I.e. 10 o’clock, 9 o’clock etc

If anyone has a picture of the motor and linkage assembly in situ they could share that would be great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a similar issue. When my wipers turned on they’d drop to the scuttle first run make the 8/10 sweep. I had to fit a complete new linkage.
Have you tried holding the wiper arm to see if there’s movement ?

Take the wiper arm off, key in ignition, switch wiper to full wipe, not intermittent, watch the pivots and turn key. The pivots will reach the end of the up sweep then return.
Repeat but be ready to turn the ignition off at the top of the up sweep, that's when you put the wiper back on with the wiper up towards the A pillar.
Tighten nuts and test.

I prefer to set them at the bottom. Remove the arms run the wiper motor on slow then turn it off. Now fit the arms over the spindles but do not press fully home. Make sure the wiper blade is about parallel so not touching the scuttle about 1 inch up from the scuttle then gently push the arms further onto the spindles and tighten the nuts until they touch the arms plus about 1/8 of a turn. Switch the ignition on and the flick wipe, turn off near the top of the sweep. Now carefully tighten the nuts to 21Nm in turn while holding the other arm being careful that the arms do not turn on the spindles. Make sure you are happy with the area swept by the blade and that it does not go down to the scuttle and the upper end is just short of vertical. Fit the covers to the nuts. Check the parked position of the arm is still about 1 inch above the scuttle. If not readjust the position of the arms.

1610747340749.png
a=22-27 mm

If anyone has a picture of the motor and linkage assembly in situ they could share that would be great.

Seems as though you haven't aligned the intermediate arm on the wiper. The two need to be in the same position as shown in this post to prevent the wiper from going any further down when it starts to move.

This is the manual page for the mechanism. Just remember the manual is written for lhd so you have to flip the image for rhd cars...

Thanks for all the pointers

Got it done finally, my biggest issue was that the linkage had been messed about with before I got the car, as a result the wiper would park about a 1/3rd of the way up the screen as you can see in this picture
e5ce7175e969972d884183cede1fe2dd.jpg

With the motor in place I set about trying to get it set up correctly, I had set it up the way the same as when I first started the job, you can see how far out I was.

02955947cb24bd5fe98ab6593a45f7fc.jpg

This was causing the wiper to hit the scuttle and then park in the wrong place.

With the linkage disconnected I switched the wipers on and then off, once the motor stopped I knew it was in the park position.

In a previous post I had seen the correct position for the linkage, I set the linkage up as per that thread

aba34a2049cd40d8db1694a56a4ac83b.jpg

Did the nut up that connected the motor to linkage and then ran it without the arm connected.
I marked the top of the wiper spindle so I could see how far it moved as it went through a complete sweep. Let it run again and then when it was at the top of its sweep I switched off the ignition.
Connected the wiper arm, switched the ignition back on and let it park. It was a little higher than the 22-27 mm recommended, so I reset the height at the park position.

It now works perfectly, whilst I had the motor out I also fitted the extra earth, mine didn’t need it at this time but hopefully I now won’t ever have the issue of a bad earth causing the wipers to fail

8579d891d4e695a0d107f5b7e0cb00e2.jpg

14a0bd76bfd9726ae6647158e9856793.jpg

Another job ticked off the list and closer to being able to pass an mot and back on the road

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back