Wiper arm mounted washer jets...

Vantagemech

Anyone done this? The ones on my car are dire and with 400 motorway miles each week I hate having a dirty patchy screen.
The jets I have are the older style I believe with the bar that is adjustable for aim.
However the way the water hits the bottom of the arm for a % of the stroke is pretty dumb, along with the mandatory couple of wipes to clear the water creeping up from the scuttle.
I see Bosch do a clip on multi jet that attaches to the wiper arm for £10 that might be worth a punt. Has anyone tried this or is it not the way to go?
For that money I might just see what happens....

I'm struggling to get the top left(while in drivers seat) of the screen clean, particularly with the damp salty roads. Off to try adjusting now. Keep us posted if you try the arm mounted spray.

I've ordered the jet, though won't be around to do anything till the end of next week. Might be impossible but after spending time with tiny adjustments on the original ones just doesn't make a bit of difference.

Many years ago I seem to recall having a car (Peugot?) which delivered water in front of the arm rubber as it swept. It was by FAR the most effective wash/wipe system that I ever used. It just made such sense! So this "add-on" mod looks to be very interesting! It is for a single-arm. then?

David

Many years ago I seem to recall having a car (Peugot?) which delivered water in front of the arm rubber as it swept. It was by FAR the most effective wash/wipe system that I ever used. It just made such sense! So this "add-on" mod looks to be very interesting! It is for a single-arm. then?

David
Peugeot 405 had this IIRC, seemed like a good delivery system though it also seems like a great way to assist freezing at this time of year.

I had a couple of Citroen BXs which had a single big wiper. They had a spray bar attached and it worked fine, except when it froze up!
One of my cars has the heated twin jets each side, so 4 jets, which are great. The others have 2 x fan sprays, which are absolutely rubbish!

Keep us updated on the spray bar progress.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

here's mine

Ok, thought I'd best put this on here rather than fill the today thread!
Currently testing a Scania washer jet on my wiper blade. I initially bought just the jet (£7) but have just ordered a kit which comes in at £15 but seems to have double the kit along with the clips to attach to the wiper blade.
Whether or not a double spray - front and rear of the blade is either possible or worthwhile? I'm also figuring how to fix the hose along the arm. Looking for metal clips to hold pipes. I'll do a short video and some pics tomorrow. Please be aware this took no more than 15 mins to knock up so it's not perfect nor is it a proven modification!

Ok here are some pics of the quick washer mod. Yes the hose has overspray on it, it was in the workshop! I have ordered the kit again, this time with the clips - hopefully they will fit the blade ok. I've also ordered some clips to hold the hose to the arm. Probably turn up next week some time so next Friday or sat I'll have an update. I did do a video but it was too big to upload, so screenshot of that is here.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190217-141319.png
    Screenshot_20190217-141319.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 375
  • DSC_0022.JPG
    DSC_0022.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 396
  • DSC_0021.JPG
    DSC_0021.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 371
The parts arrived t
his week and fitted them yesterday. The clips in the kit fitted straight onto the wiper arm, I then tyrapped the hose to the underneath of one of the wiper arms.
Works well, the jet is now on the opposite side from when I fitted it.

Kit is this link

You will need a length of washer hose, some small tryaps and some hose fittings. In addition. Halfords or your local friendly motorfactors should carry the bits.

The parts arrived tView attachment 48482View attachment 48482View attachment 48483his week and fitted them yesterday. The clips in the kit fitted straight onto the wiper arm, I then tyrapped the hose to the underneath of one of the wiper arms.
Works well, the jet is now on the opposite side from when I fitted it.

Kit is this link

You will need a length of washer hose, some small tryaps and some hose fittings. In addition. Halfords or your local friendly motorfactors should carry the bits.
Looking at the kit link it doesnt include any clips? Is there a different kit which includes all the clips?
On such a long Wiper Blade would 2 spray bars be feasible?

Peugeot 405 had this IIRC, seemed like a good delivery system though it also seems like a great way to assist freezing at this time of year.

Yes, a Peugeot 405 ..... that WAS the car! It worked so well, I think that the way forward would be to purchase the relevant parts from that model via a breakers? (It had two wiper arms, though) So maybe the Transervex kit is a better choice?

David

Yes, a Peugeot 405 ..... that WAS the car! It worked so well, I think that the way forward would be to purchase the relevant parts from that model via a breakers? (It had two wiper arms, though) So maybe the Transervex kit is a better choice?

David
I had its sibling Citroen BX (16 valve) though managed to forget the washer setup(I do recall it was single wiper though). Can't imagine there are too many BX left in breakers, I loved mine though the complicated hydropneumatic system sent many to an early grave.

Looking at the kit link it doesnt include any clips? Is there a different kit which includes all the clips?
On such a long Wiper Blade would 2 spray bars be feasible?

In the image there are 2 triangular clips, the spray bar and a length of hose. In honesty the hose reaches the spindle of the wipers , so if you got a much longer hose it would fit without joins.
There are several holes in the spray bar, one than seems to go skywards when static ( faulty? Maybe) but I will test it on the motorway tomorrow morning.
I checked it this evening and it washes the screen - squirts water in front of the blade in stead of behind. Best part is there's no big puddle of water under the arms that creeps up the screen afterwards.

I feel that the "Bisonparts" kit (for Scania) looks the more professional with its rigid spray-tube and sturdy mounting clips. I think that I'll purchase this and add it to my ever-increasing list of projects to do to my A2! Now I did notice that the spray-tube is not full-length along the wiper arm? I wonder if that is because gravity will cause water from the higher area of screen to flow down to the lower screen, so full-length water distribution is not necessary?

David

Back