Woe is me!

DJ 190

A2OC Donor
Heading off to the Welsh get-together and the pulley at the front of the altenator explodes! So I buy a replacement (Valeo) and the spoecial removal tool, fit it and GREAT, all is well! So I drive away on my first trip and there is a loud noise from under the car and a harsh, grinding noise! I jack the car up and find that one of the front shock absorbers has collapsed! They're "Koni's and last Year, Rob of "WOM" had pointed out that they were very rusty. However, the A2 DID pass its M.O.T., so I assumed that I'd have a bit more life from them. Well, I was WRONG about that, wasn't I!
So here's where I need your help, please ... I need to get new units fitted, as soon as possible. I read on the Forum that "Bilsteins" are a good replacement. However, I'm a bit confused regarding the mention of B4's OR B6's? What I require is the highest level of comfort, NOT stiffness in cornering and performance-orientated units. Then there is the associated springs .... again, the same considerations here .... comfort and an easy ride over speed-bumps. I could also replace the rear units at the same time. (they're Koni's, too, and the same age as the front's)
So I'm asking for your suggestions as to what to purchase for both the front and rear, including springs? I believe that there are other items that also need to be purchased and used as part of the project? Finally, is this a job that could be attempted by a (reasonably) competent and tool-equipped owner? Thanks

David

If you're keeping the A2 it might be worth looking to replace the faulty suspension with Sachs dampers & matching springs, bushes etc.

Other people will no doubt have recommendations of their own who've had experience with various brands of suspension components, so long as you stick with quality brands and steer clear of the cheaper products there's no reason why it shouldn't last another good while.

Bilstein B4s are the standard choice here. B6s are stiffer, offering improved handling. @Robin_Cox used Monroe SP3248 springs on his TDI and has posted a lot of information here about spring choices.

Glad to hear that you came away from this unscathed - suspension failures are never nice. Were yours the Koni FSDs that have been mentioned as problematic with corrosion in the spring bed previously?

One thing worth noting - the SP3248s are not lowering springs - but they are definitely heavier duty similar to the original springs on my Tdi. On my Tdi it is possible that they maybe very slightly increased the ride height at the front (but everything including change from 185/50/16 to 195/55/16 was done at the same time so that is a very unscientific observation), but that being said with a new set of B4s put on at the same time I actually really like the way it handles - responsive, nice steering feel - and with our ropey local roads the ride height and comfort is fine. I chose the Monroes well before I did the comparison of all of the spring types so maybe would have gone for something else after having done so.

The Suplexes used on our 1.4i have worked out brilliantly - the ride height and comfort values are absolutely spot on (again with B4s). I wonder though whether they would be too soft for a Tdi with the extra kg on the front end.

I've just bought a third set of 4 B4s - two front to go onto Cosmo the project car, and two for the rear of my car along with rubber bushes etc as it's beginning to skip a bit and the shocks look a bit ropey. TDC's shop on Ebay do a full set for 152 quid - which I bought with a 10% discount from completesavings.

B6s are about 150 quid each (cheapest I've been able to find) compared to 40 quid or so each for B4s - so I'm sticking with 4s. Good luck with your renewal!

and they are as well. 22-105813 and 19-106120 at 32 and 26 quid respectively.. I have the warm feeling of knowing that mine are 30-odd quid better though .. ;)
I like your thinking though we should organise a cheapest supplier thread as this (wonderful) site isn't the easiest to search.

As is well known, this is a very good club for help and advice! I also own a Mercedes SLK and on the owners club "SLK World" I can wait a long time for a reply .... even a day or two! Well, thanks! ..... What about the rears, then? I might as well do those at the same time .... And all the other "bits" that I need to do this work? What are they? Finally, should I be able to do this? Thanks!

David

This is the thread you need for a parts list, as to whether you can do it, I don't know. The rear is easy, front is significantly more involved, plus you'll need spring compression clamps which can create lethal forces if you aren't careful. I seem to have missed this bit... :)

Last edited:
This is the thread you need for a parts list, as to whether you can do it, I don't know.

Front right upper mount is a real PITA to do. You first have to move the brake reservoir out of the way to access the 3 top mount bolts. Shop around for the parts then use the money saved to get a garage to fit them and give them all the hassle. Please be very careful if you do it yourself and pay attention to all warnings regarding the spring compressors.

And if you're really lucky there is a Webasto on top of the driver side front one as well! I've handed my front end rebuilds over for both cars so far and will probably do the same with Cosmo simply because I don't have that level of confidence. I'm going to have a crack at the back end myself though.

I will take your advice and have this done by someone with more experience. I'll source absolutely every component first so it's ready to roll! I'm not sure what the "drop links" are, though? (and what make/type to purchase) So that's just my question regarding the rears that you can help with, please? Unless I've missed something and that has been addressed?

David

drop links or stabilisers join between the shock absorber and the end of the anti roll bar on both sides. The consensus seems to be that Meyle HD are among the best, but Lemforder and Febi Bilstein are probably pretty good - if you're looking for the part numbers, if you go to the 7zap page, it is part 15 on this diagram, referred to as "coupling rod" :

https://audi.7zap.com/en/rdw/audi+a2/a2/2003-248/4/407-407011/
go to part 15, pan across to the right hand side of the table - and I was going to advise clicking on the aftermarket link but it is empty. Instead, search with the VAG part number :

6Q0411315G
ie

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FOR-AUDI...m237c456075:g:5sYAAOSwImRYh4VL&frcectupt=true

bound to be better prices but that would be a start.

Good luck - I'm travelling later so shutting down now.

Should just say - sorry, noticed the second question just then. I've not yet bought rear springs - I've stuck with what was on the car and put new B4 shocks in. There is a good list of the other parts to get on the definitive suspension refresh thread I think linked above - if you need to cross-reference what the part numbers cited are, have a gander at the 7zap exploded diagram :

https://audi.7zap.com/en/rdw/audi+a2/a2/2003-248/5/511-511010/

I also got the various other attachment bits - the mounting at the top, the bolts to attach this to the car, the shocks, the rubbers at the top and bottom ends of the spring, and mounting bolts for the shock at the bottom end, and finally the rubber bits that protect the top of the shock absorber shaft.

As long as you have a reliable mechanic then shop arount to get the spec of parts you wish for a good price. You can spend hours trying to compare the small differences from different vendors, just try not to stray too far from original fitment unless known to be superior parts Meyle drop links being a good example. Dont rush into one vendor but remember shipping costs can mount up unless picking up locally. The front tof the car is the priority so get that sorted out first. You can revisit the rear at your leisure.

I mostly get Febi Bilstein for nearly everything - you can identify FB kit part numbers at their website. Looking back I had forgotten I got Lemforder drop links for my first A2 front end, but now I would probably just get the Febi ones since everything else of theirs I've bought has been fine and appear to be OEM a lot of the time. Once I've identified the Febi 5 digit part number I then hunt it down online. SWAG is a sub-brand of theirs - usually identical but with an 8 digit part number incorporating the Febi number in the last 5 digits.

Hello I too have a pair of prematurely rusted Konis I am about to replace. Koni have resolved the prep/paint issue and the new (red) units are called Special Active. I posted my story here:
Good luck atb

I mostly get Febi Bilstein for nearly everything - you can identify FB kit part numbers at their website.
You've contributed greatly to this thread, Robin .... Thanks! So tomorrow I had it in mind to source Bilstein B4's/ Monroe SP3248 springs/Meyle HD drop-links and the other ancillaries required to complete this project. I could delay replacing the rears till a future date. You have recently mentioned Febi Bilsteins and this has distracted me. Excuse my ignorance, but are they a variation from the Bilstein B4's, or just a superior specification? As I've previously mentioned, I'm aiming for the most comfortable ride because road quality here is rather poor .... Please advis eso I can start ordering the most suitable components tomorrow.

David

Back