Wynns 2 step diesel engine restore

john-wingnut

After reading that post on the point of redex in FSI's and that audi recommended the Wynns DIP3 for cleaning the injectors, I went to there site and looked at the stuff for the diesels.

The corresponding products for the diesels are Diesel Power 3 (which is an injector, fuel, fuel line, and combustion chamber cleaner (they call this the wet part)

Then they also do Diesel EGR 3, which is a product you spray in to the air inlet tract just before the manifold. (they call this the dry part).

I used the above at the weekend and I must say the car seems to be driving much better. The engine is picking up a lot quicker and my round town mpg states are looking on the up for this week. The engine seems a lot more responsive, as if its had some cobwebbs cleared out lol.

It recommends using it once every 6000 miles so for most probably twice a year.

John

Sounds interesting - was the spray treatment easy to apply? Where did you buy it from?
I'm running a bit of Millers through my current tank just for the heck of it.

Ive generally used forte products on my cars before with great results, would be interested in trying this to see how it compares, especially if audi recommend it.

Cost me £15. Got mine from autosessive
Yer audi gave a greenlight on wynns and sea foam for direct injection engines, was mentioned in the redex post with regards to the FSI's but I figured I would give the diesel a go.
The spray needs two people really, as you need to adjust the revs depending on how your engine reacts, either slows or speeds up so you have to keep it around the 1500-2000 mark.
I spryaed it in where the ERG / butterly are; took the pipe off, partly refitted with a gap for nozzle to go into.
Will be interesting to see if it maintains this behaviour,on the next refill, as this tank still has the fuel treatment side of things in it
John

The placebo effect can be quite strong in any car modification.

Having said that I use a similar treatment myself in most tanks of diesel. I bought a 5L drum of it, so it only adds about 1ppl to my fill-up costs.

yeah, some members mentioned the Wynn's product on the redex thread, I went to read a little about it as my friend with FSI engine is of concern. It seems to be totally different to redex or millers, the fuel additives. The part where you have to keep rev and inject after the MAF in theory should work if the chemical does what it says on the tin and cleans the inlet valve. But the injector cleaner part where it is added to the fuel, isn't that what premium fuel is supposed to do anyway?

On the diesels you need to do it after the intercooler. It was quite odd, as you had to put it in, in 2 second blasts. As you injected it, the engine/diesel knock increased for those 2 seconds, then a second later the engine would idle quite roughly for a few seconds before returning to normal, then you repeated the process until the can was empty. You then had to go for a few miles drive to clear everything out.

.........time will tell if it has done anything.

i put the fuel tank treatment in last week and didn't notice any difference. However, i just did the spray treatment and the engine sounds much smoother, will see if this is the "placebo" effect or is for real after a decent run this evening.
Will keep you posted with results.

Hello,

I used the petrol engine 'Direct Injection 3' wet part a couple of weeks ago and I felt that the car was a little quieter, smoother and better!

I want to use the dry part but o haven't a clue what to do!

So where is the part in the engine where you put the dry part, are there any pictures which you can point it out as i am not that familiar with the air inlet tract!!

Chris

As you look at the engine, the feed for the air comes up from the left goes across to the right then up to the inlet manifold, I undid a jubileee clip that gives access to the tube leading to the inlet where the egr is) and sprayed in there. Sorry, no picture to hand.

Anyway, did a 15 mile trip, the engine is soooo much smoother, i thought that all diesel 3 cylinder engines were rough!
Clearly my engine had never been treated before. i shall treat on a regular basis, now on.

Mines also behaving a lot better after spraying the treatment in. Engine sounds horendous when your doing it, but it has been running sweetly ever since.
As buzzers says, you spray the aerosol part directly into the inlet tract just prior to the EGR. The fuel treatment then goes in the tank
John

Ok, i have pointed out the jubilee clip i think i need to remove, i assume i need to just take the pipe off and spray in the direction of the arrow on the picture

Chris

Attachments

• AudiA2Tdi027.jpg
    AudiA2Tdi027.jpg
    192.2 KB · Views: 369
Right ok, i have ordered some so i will put it in there, do you spray the whole can in or just a few sprays and i assume you just leave the engine running whilst spraying the stuff in?

Thanks
Chris

I put the whole can through. the engine almost dies and splutters a lot when you spray it in (in 2 second bursts, then let the engine recover for a few seconds). I did it on my own when the engine was at idle. I believe that someone said it was easier to do it with one person holding the throttle at 1500 to 2000 rpm and squirting it, but it seemed to work for me.
Good luck!

Where abouts did you disconnect the intake hose in order to spray in? I presume this is meant to help de-clag the inlet manifold?

Back