Yet another new guy

WayneoA2

Well from 11 years in western Australia back to Birmingham... and needing a cheap reliable run about as bringing my 06 subaru outback over is not an option especially as I have been quoted over 6k to insure it .. . The A2 has certainly caught my eye so hopefully will be purchasing next week ... since I have been out of the country for so long I have to start with no NCB and start again so I'm being quoted 1528 fully comp... I'm 49 with a clean license .. . Who else does everyone use for insurance ? .

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201231-193225_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20201231-193225_Gallery.jpg
    603 KB · Views: 183
That seems very steep. Try compare sites and if you have a wife/partner, put on as a named driver and you may find it's much cheaper. Don't know why but it normally works.

That seems very steep. Try compare sites and if you have a wife/partner, put on as a named driver and you may find it's much cheaper. Don't know why but it normally works.
I left a violent ex wife back in Australia... .. I thought it was steep as well .its like I had just bought shares in the insurance company !

shop around. It makes a big difference. Also worth asking the company if they will accept some of your NCD from Australia (assuming you can prove it).
I am a bit older than you and live out in the country but pay only £250 fully comp for a Touareg R line plus.

shop around. It makes a big difference. Also worth asking the company if they will accept some of your NCD from Australia (assuming you can prove it).
I am a bit older than you and live out in the country but pay only £250 fully comp for a Touareg R line plus.
I have asked them and they said they have taken my Au NCB "into consideration " but yes I will definitely be phoning around to get more quotes.. . The one I am looking at is only the 1.4 tdi so I am hoping for more reasonable quotes

You don't need to ring around any more. Just enter your details in the comparison sites and wait for the results to come in. Compare the meerkat is a good place to start.
Good thinking ??. I'm having to get use to how much the uk has progressed than Australia .. . Its was like being stuck in the 1980s ??

Well just a quick search has got me down to 560 and it gives you the option to say that you have "NCB FROM ANOTHER COUNTRY " So I ticked that box and its come down 900 quid already ... thanks for that help guys ...

These are still running obd2 so I could run torque pro through my phone or if I was to go double din with a head unit I could run it through that ? . I had this set up in my subaru and found it very handy for monitoring the engine temps etc ...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201231-203352_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20201231-203352_Gallery.jpg
    504.4 KB · Views: 152
Various insurance companies use similar and sometimes different metrics to arrive at a premium, things to consider and contribute to premium reduction are as follows:

1. Limiting mileage - be realistic but set as low as you can
2. Increase your excess - insurers like you to contribute more in the event of a claim, just balance to premium as upping excess by £500 for a £10 premium reduction is a false economy.
3. Park on a drive or better still in a garage if possible - helps premium reduction.
4. Make sure your occupation is listed correctly.
5. Adding named drivers who also drive the car helps however only do this if they have clean licenses and are actually going to drive it.
6. Consider an advanced driving course - again balance price vs premium reduction.
7. Consider removing add-ons such as breakdown cover, foreign travel - consider what’s actually appropriate for you.

These are the main things however they are pretty generic on comparison sites. Also look at companies not on comparison sites such as Aviva and Direct line too.

Finally once you found something reasonable, go to the insurers website directly as they may be cheaper..... cutting out the comparison sites’ commissions. If they are marginally more expensive then ring them as they may negotiate to secure your business.

Various insurance companies use similar and sometimes different metrics to arrive at a premium, things to consider and contribute to premium reduction are as follows:

1. Limiting mileage - be realistic but set as low as you can
2. Increase your excess - insurers like you to contribute more in the event of a claim, just balance to premium as upping excess by £500 for a £10 premium reduction is a false economy.
3. Park on a drive or better still in a garage if possible - helps premium reduction.
4. Make sure your occupation is listed correctly.
5. Adding named drivers who also drive the car helps however only do this if they have clean licenses and are actually going to drive it.
6. Consider an advanced driving course - again balance price vs premium reduction.
7. Consider removing add-ons such as breakdown cover, foreign travel - consider what’s actually appropriate for you.

These are the main things however they are pretty generic on comparison sites. Also look at companies not on comparison sites such as Aviva and Direct line too.

Finally once you found something reasonable, go to the insurers website directly as they may be cheaper..... cutting out the comparison sites’ commissions. If they are marginally more expensive then ring them as they may negotiate to secure your business.
Yep been through compare.com and now have a list of companies to choose from . Will defo be chasing them up in the new year . Gotta get my Driving license renewed as it ran out in 2015.. so more stuff to do... any idea on the time scale to renew an out of date license ?

Im 3 years older than you and use Admiral to insure my 2 A2s. They are very cheap for me, but I have 34 years no claims which helps. Ive got a 1.4 and a 1.6 (both petrol).
Hope you get one sorted!

Im 3 years older than you and use Admiral to insure my 2 A2s. They are very cheap for me, but I have 34 years no claims which helps. Ive got a 1.4 and a 1.6 (both petrol).
Hope you get one sorted!
Awww fanks I'm feeling like a spring chicken again now ??.. I was only paying 45 bux a month for the outback and that's with all the mods and covered for off road use .. so I'm hoping I can get a more decent quote .. ?

Back