Inner CV boots

john-wingnut

Hi guys

Should the inner CV boots on the driveshafts have metal clips around both ends of the boot, as mine only seem to have them on the large bit which screws onto the diff and there is lots of grease being flung out of the end.

Looking at various pictures and driveshafts for sale on ebay there is no clip shown, but surely its not good to be loosing grease from the CV joint??

John

Hi guys

Should the inner CV boots on the driveshafts have metal clips around both ends of the boot, as mine only seem to have them on the large bit which screws onto the diff and there is lots of grease being flung out of the end.

Looking at various pictures and driveshafts for sale on ebay there is no clip shown, but surely its not good to be loosing grease from the CV joint??

John

Yes, the driveshaft (outer and inner) have a metal clip which secures the rubber boot. Strange, I know the outer boots get worn and split, but the inners are unheard of. Definately needs a new metal-clip and pack it with CV grease first. How come you noticed it was damaged - it's right under the car?

Got to replace one of mine according to last MOT advisory (but not a fail item)
Probably end up doing them both with those universal kits

I was fault finding and noticed it.

Accodring to ETKA there is no external clip on the inner CV from diesel driveshafts.

Im still gonna replace both and put one on though

John

Hi John
The way I read the parts info suggests there are clips on both ends of the inboard CV joint. Looks like they are only available as part of the CV joint or boot kits and not sold seperately.
Cable ties make a good temporary fix

Chers Spike

While changing the gearbox oil I noticed there was no clip on the CV joint boot (small end) There was a smear of grease on the driveshaft but no evidence of a major leak. Can't decide if

Cheers Spike

Back