should i service myself?

scott

A2OC Donor
What does a service from a garage do that I don't? Iv always serviced my car myself since I brought it, reason is I think its cheaper and I can buy genuine parts and still save money and I know everything is getting changed! every service I change oil, fuel and pollen filter, oil, spark plugs and clean k&n. but what else would a garage do. I would like the car checked and my gearbox and break fluid changed but break fluid I'd rather a professional do and gearbox is tricky to get to gear oil plug. I changed the clutch and gearbox myself over 20k miles ago and put new fluid in then but I fear it might be leaking and the gears are getting a bit crunchy on selection so I wounder if its low? and when I last serviced it I think their was a patch of gear box oil on the under tray?? So I'm wondering if its worth having a garage do servicing, if theirs anything they do that's worth paying the bit extra?

Thanks

Scott

You sound like a really switched on owner that knows what the car needs. I reckon you are doing a job better then 90% of garages.

Ha……Scott, funny title....tickles my sense-of-humour

But for a less humorous answer……a dealer would not normally just carry out a service, but usually perform a full visual inspection of the vehicle in case they can generate other work. This is not (for reputable dealers) a way of conning owners into parting with their cash, but a way of ensuring the vehicle is safe and performing well.

The list of “inspection items” would normally depend on how diligent the tech is, but I would expect it to include the following:-

1. check all suspension components and road wheels
2. check steering components
3. check full brake system including brake lines
4. check full fuel system
5. check exhaust system
6. check all hoses
7. check all drive belts
8. check engine mounts
9. check for loose nuts, bolts or wiring
10. check pedal rubbers for excessive wear
11. run a full diagnostic scan

Some of the better dealers should provide written (printed) details of:-

a. tyre tread depth
b. tyre pressures (and inflate/deflate as necessary)
c. brake pad thickness and brake disc run out
d. exact details of lubricants used
e. any errors noticed from the scan

Obviously I would expect a phone call prior to any “additional” works being performed, and at the time of the call the dealer should be able to provide:-

1. exact cost breakdown of this work (parts, labour & VAT separated)
2. list of parts required
3. hourly labour rate
4. advise if the “old part” is being used as an “exchange” item (therefore the old part would not be available to take away)
5. offer for the owner to view the faulty item while in situ
6. the warranty period of the new item
7. possible impact of not having the work done
8. assurance that all parts not being used for exchange would be made available for the owner to take away

Therefore, I believe a worthwhile “service” is much more than just renewing lubricants and filters at a given date or mileage, but more about giving your vehicle a thorough and comprehensive check over. This may help prevent some of the nasty surprises you’d expect with cars of a “certain age”.

Cheers

Jeff

I agree with you Jeff but most of the things you mention would also be checked at it's annual MOT so for anyone wanting to go the self service route, just after the MOT has been carried out would be the ideal time as you should know of any items needing attention (MOT advisories) which you can also address at the same time as replacing the serviceable items, meaning you should be good to go for another 12 months.

Guys, I thought nothing of the title until you brought it up! :D but now see what you mean haha. mustang owner, thanks for the detailed reply that's what I wanted to know, so maybe I should have a recommended, good garage "give the car a service" ;) every two years or so or as a2z says leave those checks for the mot?? In the 4 years Iv owned my a2 It hasn't even had an advisory and flew through the mot's so all should be ok? As Iv said I will need a mechanic to change fluid and bleed the brakes as I'm not too keen on doing that myself and had to have a mechanic bleed the clutch as I didn't have a clue what to do. So maybe just pay to have the gear and break fluid changed and check belts and continue servicing the car myself??

can I change the title now??? :eek:

Thanks

Hi Scott,

Your idea for a "good service" every 2 years seems a good plan. As A2Z say's, most things on my lists should be well checked at the annual MOT. If you’re doing the alternate year by changing lubricants and filters you’d be able to visually inspect most other things as well.
I, as I think most owners on this forum, run a longlife service plan and use quality longlife engine oil (Fuchs Titan GT1 Longlife III 5w-30 for me) and all genuine service parts from Audi, but I change the oil, filter and sump plug every year (somewhere between 10K-15K miles for me). The only non-genuine service item I have is a K&N air filter, which is cleaned annually.

There are 2 very good members on this forum (probably more) who can service and thoroughly check your A2 over for any potential issues. They are:-

1. Skipton01 based in Mossley, Lancashire
2. Sarge786 based in East London

I have used Mike (Skipton01) to do a lot to my car and I know many members who use Sarge for work too, so both come recommended. Also both can offer various “mods” to make your car something a little more special than a standard A2. I do not know how “busy” either is, but dropping a PM to them asking if they assist can’t hurt.

Cheers

Jeff

Great, thanks for the advise, I would love to ask Skipton to do a thew bits and bobs to my car but he is just to far away. I will get in touch with sarge when I have some spare money to have the drive away locking turned on if he can and see what else I can do to the car and have him check it over if he doesn't mind. I always buy good oil 50-60 quid for 4 liters and I always change everything, probably unnecessary but I feel better knowing all is new. The problem with visually inspecting things is that I don't really know what to look for to be honest but Ill try get a bit of info as to what to look out for and probably continue to service the car myself, I just worry with what they are "not" changing and what they might damage/say is damaged to get a thew extra penny's out of me!

Thanks for the great advice

Scott I know your concern, as I've always wondered if garages actually do change parts, that lingering question mark.

I have known Sarge for a while now, bonus being he lives a short drive from me, he convinced me to get an A2 and I've never looked back since. I have had him do all the work on the car and he's ace when it comes to the A2. I was surprised on my first service on the A2, he had emailed me pictures taken of the service as 'proof'. I hadn't asked for this but was reassured that quality parts were being fitted and they were actually being changed. Never known anyone so passionate about what he's doing, and I couldn't pay him enough.

My Tuppence worth :)
Roy

I too have had Sarge service my car, and have the photos to prove it. He's a kind man, to you and your A2.

Tom

Hi,

Just thought I'd add my experience on this thread as this is how I found SARGE to fully service my french A2 1.6 FSI, and I can gladly say the experience has no camparison with any service offered by garages... (and definitely worth the drive to east london)
The service done was really professional (oil/air filters, spark plugs, oil change), and on top of that, SARGE fixed a few other issues on the car (petrol flap button repared, greassing of the boot mechanism - had previous issues opening). He also ran a full scan on the car, with explanation of the different points coming up.
When collecting the car, it looked like it had been swapped for a lovely, clean and shiny A2.
I even had a little doc with detailed steps of what had been done, photos as proof, and a copy of the scan.
I can happily say my car will be visiting east london whenever I need something done. Top service, top man. He even took time to discuss the various questions I had about the car and give me advice on how to look after it best. This is a breath of fresh air after the way the Audi garages look after you (I won't even comment on the cash savings which is just another reason to go and see him).

To make it short, I highly recommend.

Nick

The Sarge appreciation society! Sign up here :)

Joking aside, great to see this positive feedback for one of life's true gems.

Sarge is a top bloke. :cool:

Last edited:
Gearbox oil's an easy one too - if you're doing the other service items this one's no more difficult.
Would agree on brake fluid though. Used to be happy doing this on old mini's, MG's etc but no idea what the bleed proceedure would be on a modern car...
Russ

Last edited:
Bleeding brakes is a doddle and the car does not need to be jacked up if you are nimble.
Start at rear passenger, the rear drivers, then front passenger, then drivers front.

Last time i did mine (just over a month ago) I used ATE blue dot4. really easy to see the colour change when it comes through.

All you need is a spanner and one of those 99p one way flow rubber pipes. drill a hole into a plasic bottle lid just small enough to allow the rubber pipe to have a good friction fit.

Have the engine running, get your partner to pump the brakes after you crack off the bleed nipple.

Dont let the fluid drop all the way down in the reservoir.

A really easy job.

Back