Information How easy to change Steering wheel

Nigel245

A2OC Donor
Hi all,

I need to change my steering wheel asap to a leather one. I have a plastic one which is not good. But once I source one how easy is it to change it? I've done ones in the past but not one with a air bag in it so I'm unsure in case i set it off!
I have noticed some leather ones on ebay which appear to be the same but will any 4 spoke Audi wheel fit or does the spline size vary from A2's to A6's ?

Any info/help will be much appreciated:D

Many thanks

Nigel

Nigel

Just requires 2 sizes of torx fittings and and takes about 5 mins

Where are you?
I've got a 4 spoke black leather steering wheel available for a few pennies if you want it

J

Are you being funny????

No, he's making the point that things are a touch more complicated that you make out.
A torx bit is required to physically release the airbag from behind. However, you'll need to electrically disconnect the airbag in order to make progress. This should be done by disconnecting the battery, waiting 10 minutes, and before releasing the connector, placing one hand on the ground and one hand on the chassis of the car so as to ensure that all things are at the same potential. Airbags can be seriously dangerous; complacency here is bad.
Once you've done that, you'll need an XZN bit to remove the steering wheel. I can't remember off the top of my head whether it's M10 or M12, but Mike's done it enough times to confirm. Even if it appears to grip, if you use a torx bit for this job, you risk stripping the head's teeth.

Basically, you'll need more than just two torx bits and 5 minutes.

Cheers,

Tom

I disagree on some points as I was with an Audi master tech as he removed my Q7 steering wheel and he talked me through the procedure. I'm not revealing my source but they still work for Audi so don't want to compromise his position.

He disconnected the battery then immediately removed the airbag retaining bolts and unplugged the airbag within 2 minutes of the battery (not 10 mins)
He then used a Torx bit for the wheel as he'd lost his 'triple square' bit. He did say that the Torx is a bit naughty but works well if it is a new bit from a reputable manufactrer (high quality bits are manufactured to a higher tolerance) as the 12-point bits are for high torque applications but the size of the bolt on the steering wheel will easily take a Torx bit without stressing the bolt

He did point out that the bolts should only be reused once and replaced if you do this twice with a Torx bit or 3 times if you use the XZN bits. The bolts should be marked with a strike mark to indicate the number of times it's been removed. My Q7 now has 2 marks

Still should take about 5 minutes though......

J

Last edited:
Jason,

I don't think the real issue is with what kind of bit is used to remove the steering wheel, although an Audi Master Tech using a Torx bit instead of the correct M10 XZN (spline) bit is a real no-no.

The main issue here is making sure you are Earth-grounded to avoid residual static charge deploying the airbag, which could have fatal consequences, and making sure any residual current in the car's electrical system is drained.
I follow some very strict rules but also wear an antistatic wrist-band, which is earthed to the door striker plate, as I appear to be prone to static charge build-up.

As the OP has no previous experience with airbags I would advise extreme caution.

Cheers

Jeff

My steering wheel has been off at least 6 times now never thought to replace the bolts. Yikes!

I'm with Jason on this though it's a 5 min process. I've seen it done often enough!

Jason,

I don't think the real issue is with what kind of bit is used to remove the steering wheel, although an Audi Master Tech using a Torx bit instead of the correct M10 XZN (spline) bit is a real no-no.

The main issue here is making sure you are Earth-grounded to avoid residual static charge deploying the airbag, which could have fatal consequences, and making sure any residual current in the car's electrical system is drained.
I follow some very strict rules but also wear an antistatic wrist-band, which is earthed to the door striker plate, as I appear to be prone to static charge build-up.

As the OP has no previous experience with airbags I would advise extreme caution.

Cheers

Jeff

This wasn't done by the Audi master tech........
Not saying anyone is right or wrong, just reporting on what I've seen and from people supposedly 'in the know'

J

Audi Master technicians using torx bits on a spline-head bolt - I'd like to say I'm surprised, but sadly I'm not.

No talk of tightening torques of the bolts either, nor of wheel alignment marks. Just another example of how talented (or talentless as the case may be) amateur mechanics can cause real problems.

Oh and once the battery is disconnected, as long as it's been disconnected with the right procedure that no-one here has yet mentioned, then it's safe to remove the airbag immediately, following anti-static precautions.

No talk of tightening torques of the bolts either, nor of wheel alignment marks. Just another example of how talented (or talentless as the case may be) amateur mechanics can cause real problems.

Oh and once the battery is disconnected, as long as it's been disconnected with the right procedure that no-one here has yet mentioned, then it's safe to remove the airbag immediately, following anti-static precautions.

Mike, with all due respect, if you know, why don't you just tell him? What purpose does withholding this information serve other than someone potentially injuring themselves through misinformation?

I might add that the correct procedures are all covered in other threads on this forum.

Cheers

As the OP has no previous experience...

I think this is a key point. Given that the OP is seemingly entirely new to the process, a thorough and accurate answer was needed.
If it was known that the wheel is held in with an XZN bolt, then that information should have been given. If the OP then chooses to try a torx bit instead, then so be it, but giving false initial information is less than ideal. The airbag issue wasn't addressed at all. In situations like this, a little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

Mike, with all due respect, if you know, why don't you just tell...

I'm inclined to agree with Sam here. Mike, your knowledge can help others to become better amateur mechanics. :)

Tom

We don't post up safety critical information on the forum. If someone who follows the information who should not be. Or dose not have the required skills or knowledge and makes a mistake by not following the instructions correctly. It could end up with a very bad accident or fatality.

Even people who do know better don't do things correctly like the Audi tec in earlier posts. A friends co worker who is in the auto windscreen business got complacent and ened up with a door airbag going off in his face. Was very lucky to survive with his life.

If someone wants to go and look up te technical data and buy the correct tools then that is there own choice.
Personally I would leave it to someone who has the skills and knowledge to do it for me.

Cheers

David

Last edited:
I've just re-read my post; I certainly didn't intend to sound rude or cause offence to anyone! But yes, agree with all replies - it is important I think to correct any misinformation, especially since so many on here are so well versed in mechanics. I would argue that if all the information can be presented accurately and in full it might well prevent anyone from 'tinkering' and seek professional advice. Perhaps the best middle ground would be to point people in the direction of where they can get the information for themselves as well as someone/somewhere they can get the job done.

David has hit the nail on the head here - I am not going to post any procedural account because I don't want anyone turning round and taking legal action if anything goes wrong, either against me or the club.

And no, it's not because I want the OP to have me do it - they're in Kent, I'm 250 miles away and simply don't have the time any more anyway.

Back