Central Locking and electrics

soulja

Central Locking and electrics Problems

HI

I have just recently purchased an A2 1.4 se 02 plate 45000miles, for £2900,(Private Dealer)Thought it would be a good family car and reading reviews on a2 it was a good buy. Thought it was a great deal at the time, checked all the important bits V5 and Chassi number and inspected the car. Only problem was that i needed to replace the glove box and fix the switch that controls the window on the passenger ( as window does not move)

2 days later i find out it’s much more than that, the passenger side door wont lock when the central locking is activated, have to lock it manually from the inside switch, side mirror on that side doesn't move, rear fog light on left side doesn't work. The most important one is i can’t activate the locking switch to lock the doors from the inside, which has left my wife fearful of driving the car with our recently born son sitting in the back when she is by herself.

Any advice and help would be so grateful, i really want to sort this at asap but without spending an arm and a leg, Maybe you know how much its gonna cost me or how to fix it. I don't want my wife going through any more stress as our son was born premature and in hospital for 2months and this has just added another headache.

kind regards

Last edited:
Hi soulja, welcome to the A2oc.
There is a module built into the window motor assembly which controls the window, door and mirror functions. Another club member found that by removing the multi pin connector and cleaning the contacts, all the functions were restored so you may be lucky.
For the door locking problem, disconnecting the battery negative terminal for 30 min sometimes restores the locking function- (check you have the radio code just in case its needed) Because of your multiple problems I don't think this will work but its free and worth a try.
A diagnostic scan should pinpoint the problem and is always worth doing before buying replacement parts.
Q. does the interior light work when the offending door is opened

Cheers Spike

thanks for the quick response guys, Spike i'm not 100% sure about the interior light but i think it doesn't work, will confirm this when i get home along with the battery test, but where would i get the radio code from?

thanks

also i must note that i can lock the 3 doors from the outside with the keyfob but cannot lock the doors from the inside, will that battery test still worth trying? only scared to lose the radio/cd.

The radio code is normally printed inside the front cover of the radio instruction book. In theory, later model cars 'recognise' the factory fit radio when the battery is reconnected so you may not need to enter a code but its safer to have it - just in case

Cheers Spike

Problem fixed!! :):):):):):):):)

Problem fixed!! :):):):):):):):)

opened the passenger door panel,problems was staring me in my face, it was that the multi pin connector that connects to the motor wasn't pluged in, have no idea why not, but thank god its sorted!

It fixed the central locking problems so now locks from the inside and outside, window sorted wing mirror sorted.

Also Brother in law managed to fix the glove box as well, it was a spring problem which was easy to sort, so don't need to splash out to get another glovebox from Audi which quoted £146.47 not including labour to fix it, so lesson is always get a second opinion and and always try to attempt to fix it yourself.

pretty sure if i brought it to a mechanic i may off got charged a ridiculous amount for something so simple to fix.

Thanks again for the tips guys

Back